ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Duties not available to be signed for

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
aco2796
Posts: 7
Joined: 05 Jun 2018, 23:33
Gender: Male

Duties not available to be signed for

Post by aco2796 »

Looking for a bit of advice. Currently in our office there are 10 duties that are vacant, yet the DOM assigned to our section says he isn't allowed to advertise them, as his boss (overall DOM) wont allow it. Theres no union rep for our section so that's not an option either sadly.
Any advice!
rainbowwarrior72
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 431
Joined: 07 Nov 2009, 11:14
Gender: Male

Duties not available to be signed for

Post by rainbowwarrior72 »

Get hold of your Area Rep at Branch level immediately
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Duties not available to be signed for

Post by norris9 »

Are they supposed to offer vacant duties?

I know of a couple of vacant duties at our depot which they keep rotating posties into or lapse.... to the annoyance of the Posties who do the other half of the van share.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Duties not available to be signed for

Post by joewyan »

norris9 wrote:Are they supposed to offer vacant duties?

I know of a couple of vacant duties at our depot which they keep rotating posties into or lapse.... to the annoyance of the Posties who do the other half of the van share.
I’m surprised the other half of the van share would be annoyed! Most people love the opportunity to work on their own.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Duties not available to be signed for

Post by Seymour Buts »

joewyan wrote:
norris9 wrote:Are they supposed to offer vacant duties?

I know of a couple of vacant duties at our depot which they keep rotating posties into or lapse.... to the annoyance of the Posties who do the other half of the van share.
I'd suggest said postie gets annoyed coz they'd be with different people constantly when they don't lapse it, rather than when he gets to go alone judging by personal experiance!

Can't they keep walks vacent for so long then they HAVE to go up on the board? Six months is the figure in my mind, but I could be wrong.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Duties not available to be signed for

Post by fb1969 »

joewyan wrote:
norris9 wrote:Are they supposed to offer vacant duties?

I know of a couple of vacant duties at our depot which they keep rotating posties into or lapse.... to the annoyance of the Posties who do the other half of the van share.
I’m surprised the other half of the van share would be annoyed! Most people love the opportunity to work on their own.

I'd guess they're not working on their own. They're getting any old random with them, and are getting fed up with explaining the loops to people. Happens all the time at our place usually with people loaned in from other offices.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Duties not available to be signed for

Post by Seymour Buts »

fb1969 wrote:
joewyan wrote:
norris9 wrote:Are they supposed to offer vacant duties?

I know of a couple of vacant duties at our depot which they keep rotating posties into or lapse.... to the annoyance of the Posties who do the other half of the van share.
I’m surprised the other half of the van share would be annoyed! Most people love the opportunity to work on their own.

I'd guess they're not working on their own. They're getting any old random with them, and are getting fed up with explaining the loops to people. Happens all the time at our place usually with people loaned in from other offices.
It is incredably frustrating to be fair. Nothing against anyone, and it's easy on here to say start and finish time ect ect but trying to explain a walk every day to different people is annoying. They're also unlikely to know where to get rid of parcels, run oversized ect ect so you end up doing most of the work. There's also estates where I am based where it's incredablely easy to get lost in flats and things if you're unsure where you are going.