ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Accident at work

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bo72
Posts: 35
Joined: 21 Feb 2012, 15:39
Gender: Male

Accident at work

Post by bo72 »

I have had an accident which resulted in minor injury. When I reported it to my manager he encouraged me not to report it as I would face disaplinary proceedings because I had a similar accident a few years ago. At first I thought he was being helpful but on reflection I wonder whether it is a ploy to keep the number of accidents in our office at a minimum, he told be that they have a target to reduce accidents this year. At previous places I have worked we have always been encouraged to report accidents so the information gained can be used to reduce future accidents. I have never been threatened with disaplinary action before for reporting accidents. Is this normal at royal mail or is he trying to fob me off?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Accident at work

Post by Postie45 »

depends, were you at fault for either accident ? or was it due to company negligence ?
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Accident at work

Post by Brandy »

bo72 wrote:I have had an accident which resulted in minor injury. When I reported it to my manager he encouraged me not to report it as I would face disaplinary proceedings because I had a similar accident a few years ago. At first I thought he was being helpful but on reflection I wonder whether it is a ploy to keep the number of accidents in our office at a minimum, he told be that they have a target to reduce accidents this year. At previous places I have worked we have always been encouraged to report accidents so the information gained can be used to reduce future accidents. I have never been threatened with disaplinary action before for reporting accidents. Is this normal at royal mail or is he trying to fob me off?
Yes I am sorry to say,but it is normal for RM,it is a disgrace. It never used to be like this years ago.
bo72
Posts: 35
Joined: 21 Feb 2012, 15:39
Gender: Male

Accident at work

Post by bo72 »

Postie45 wrote:depends, were you at fault for either accident ? or was it due to company negligence ?
I miss judged a step and twisted my ankle. The previous one I stepped in a puddle that was actually a hole. Seems that means I am at fault.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Accident at work

Post by Seymour Buts »

Were you reading while walking or taking a short cut? It would be considering your fault. He's probably doing you a favour in truth, what exactly is the benefit or reporting it?
gimba
Posts: 192
Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
Gender: Male

Accident at work

Post by gimba »

postietom wrote:Were you reading while walking or taking a short cut? It would be considering your fault. He's probably doing you a favour in truth, what exactly is the benefit or reporting it?
To cover yourself if it happens again / any lasting injuries that the company should sort out
bo72
Posts: 35
Joined: 21 Feb 2012, 15:39
Gender: Male

Accident at work

Post by bo72 »

postietom wrote:Were you reading while walking or taking a short cut? It would be considering your fault. He's probably doing you a favour in truth, what exactly is the benefit or reporting it?
I wasn't walking and reading, taking a short cut and I was wearing royal mail foot wear. I can see that bareing in mind royal mail's policy on these matters he is probably doing me a favour. It just seems wrong to be that we should be discouraged from reporting accidents in this way. Old hands who are aware of this situation probably don't bother reporting accidents, which is great for the business because it makes their health and safety record look better than it actually is. I wonder what the HSE would think if they knew postmen were not reporting accidents because they are too scared of the consequences?
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Accident at work

Post by Newbie001 »

bo72 wrote:
postietom wrote:Were you reading while walking or taking a short cut? It would be considering your fault. He's probably doing you a favour in truth, what exactly is the benefit or reporting it?
I wasn't walking and reading, taking a short cut and I was wearing royal mail foot wear. I can see that bareing in mind royal mail's policy on these matters he is probably doing me a favour. It just seems wrong to be that we should be discouraged from reporting accidents in this way. Old hands who are aware of this situation probably don't bother reporting accidents, which is great for the business because it makes their health and safety record look better than it actually is. I wonder what the HSE would think if they knew postmen were not reporting accidents because they are too scared of the consequences?
I find that fatigue causes this for me. Usually about 4 hrs in to a heavy day, I start tripping up steps and taking those weird extra
steps (you know the ones). Easier for RM to blame postie. Never even seen an accident book/form or whatever they use.
Don't upper management find it weird, offices have countless days lost, through twisted ankles, broken bones, hernias, hand injuries. Yet very few accidents.
We all must be playing rugby after work, or walking about with blindfolds.
fed_up_postie
Posts: 154
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: lost in space

Accident at work

Post by fed_up_postie »

bo72 wrote:I have had an accident which resulted in minor injury. When I reported it to my manager he encouraged me not to report it as I would face disaplinary proceedings because I had a similar accident a few years ago. At first I thought he was being helpful but on reflection I wonder whether it is a ploy to keep the number of accidents in our office at a minimum, he told be that they have a target to reduce accidents this year. At previous places I have worked we have always been encouraged to report accidents so the information gained can be used to reduce future accidents. I have never been threatened with disaplinary action before for reporting accidents. Is this normal at royal mail or is he trying to fob me off?
Report it end of!!!! Dont let the Dom fob you off!! He is just trying to keep his accident levels down as this will most likely affect his bonus!! EVERY accident should be recorded because if it becomes more serious then they can't threaten to sack you for going sick
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Accident at work

Post by Navalron »

Report it. If it causes you problems later on in life with arthritis/ mobility problems and you need evidence of IHR or compo the first thing they will say is, we don't have any record of any accident. And that's twice now. The dom isn't being helpful. That's 2 accidents on duty not known about by health and safety. Just the other week we have got a 38 year man maybe getting binned for not wearing a seatbelt. You need to play them at their own game.RM is about ALWAYS covering your arse and management are no ones friends. :thumbup
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Accident at work

Post by danterossetti »

Report it and get the Erica print out.
bikermom
Posts: 30
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 19:30
Gender: Female

Accident at work

Post by bikermom »

I broke my ankle at work, at the time was told how do I cover your round now, which in itself is appalling, then left to arrange my own way home and later on to A&E, without any care from my manager despite having a huge lump on my ankle the size of half a tennis ball, when he was informed later by my other half who also works in the same depot, he was told that I was unable to report it as an accident at work, as H&S would be all over it, this was 4 weeks ago , currently still in a boot so on sick, I've sent my manager a letter, asking answers to many questions, still waiting a reply, how does he think im supposed to follow any direction from him from here on, Royal Mail know this goes on but turn a blind eye, what an awful company this has become. Good luck to you hope you get a better outcome than me .
Last edited by bikermom on 28 Feb 2020, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
rottathehutlet
Posts: 27
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:03
Gender: Male

Accident at work

Post by rottathehutlet »

I broke my ankle at work
I broke my ankle at work. Because I had previously been off work with cancer I fell foul of the '1 years sick pay in any 4 years' rule, which meant that they stopped paying me.
The Royal Mail rules say that I should have continued to be paid as it was an accident at work. The rules are very clear on that yet they still didn't pay me. The union told me at first that it was an open and shut case, yet all they did was tell me to put in a grievance.
During the grievance process each manager just backed up the previous one, so I eventually had to give up and return to work because I couldn't afford to live.
I now have an ankle the size of a tennis ball and pain every day but can't go off sick.
Royal Mail said that they didn't have to pay me because it was an 'incident' rather than an accident.
Basically they make the rules up as they go along and break the rules whenever they wish and the union seem unable to do a thing about it.
Good luck with your ankle problem but don't expect RM to give a stuff about you or your pain.
bikermom
Posts: 30
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 19:30
Gender: Female

Accident at work

Post by bikermom »

. Royal Mail are a law unto themselves, never come accross this in any previous places of work . The frightening thing is they are getting away with such blatant disregard of H&S rules. GOOD LUCK to you in the future.
Last edited by bikermom on 28 Feb 2020, 09:44, edited 2 times in total.
rottathehutlet
Posts: 27
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:03
Gender: Male

Accident at work

Post by rottathehutlet »

The way I see it now is, if they don't want me blabbing to health and safety from hear on
That's exactly what I did, but RM still don't care. As you say, they are a law unto themselves.