ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Made up to F/T at Christmas

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
FirstPost
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
Gender: Female

Made up to F/T at Christmas

Post by FirstPost »

I know its a long way away but if I cannot work F/T hours at Christmas do I need to put this in writing? What is the best way to approach this?
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Made up to F/T at Christmas

Post by aiden01 »

FirstPost wrote:I know its a long way away but if I cannot work F/T hours at Christmas do I need to put this in writing? What is the best way to approach this?
NO. you only have to work your contracted hours.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

Made up to F/T at Christmas

Post by Decky Boy »

Just Keep Calm and Carry On as you are. There is no requirement that you work beyond your contracted hours... even at Christmas ! Though many do.

I'm tempted to ask "Why ?" at this early hour have you have concluded and come to the decision that you cannot work any extra hours over Christmas as much can change in one's life between now and then ?

I shouldn't worry either way... there are always colleagues with young families or other financial commitments who will mop up any Docket !
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Made up to F/T at Christmas

Post by norris9 »

Right now... I have no idea how I'd be able to do much overtime... I am shattered doing 30 hours a week... I get home at 2pm - 2.30pm and I am rekt, can't do anything. Sometimes going to bed between 7pm and 8pm.

I hope that in-time the tiredness will ease off.

The base of my feet always feel like I have been walking on concrete for a few hours with no shoes or socks on.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Made up to F/T at Christmas

Post by maisymoo04 »

FirstPost wrote:I know its a long way away but if I cannot work F/T hours at Christmas do I need to put this in writing? What is the best way to approach this?
:shock: :shock: :arrrghhh :arrrghhh you must have a very stressfull life firstpost :shock:
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
FirstPost
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
Gender: Female

Made up to F/T at Christmas

Post by FirstPost »

Decky Boy wrote:Just Keep Calm and Carry On as you are. There is no requirement that you work beyond your contracted hours... even at Christmas ! Though many do.

I'm tempted to ask "Why ?" at this early hour have you have concluded and come to the decision that you cannot work any extra hours over Christmas as much can change in one's life between now and then ?

I shouldn't worry either way... there are always colleagues with young families or other financial commitments who will mop up any Docket !
I have another child due October/November so will want to spend as much time as possible with them. Assuming Christmas overtime will be from the 1st December?
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Made up to F/T at Christmas

Post by k979aaa »

FirstPost wrote:
Decky Boy wrote:Just Keep Calm and Carry On as you are. There is no requirement that you work beyond your contracted hours... even at Christmas ! Though many do.

I'm tempted to ask "Why ?" at this early hour have you have concluded and come to the decision that you cannot work any extra hours over Christmas as much can change in one's life between now and then ?

I shouldn't worry either way... there are always colleagues with young families or other financial commitments who will mop up any Docket !
I have another child due November so will want to spend as much time as possible with them
Say Family Friendly duties and say what you have just said here. But you could go the paternity route with this as well.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Made up to F/T at Christmas

Post by aiden01 »

FirstPost wrote:
Decky Boy wrote:Just Keep Calm and Carry On as you are. There is no requirement that you work beyond your contracted hours... even at Christmas ! Though many do.

I'm tempted to ask "Why ?" at this early hour have you have concluded and come to the decision that you cannot work any extra hours over Christmas as much can change in one's life between now and then ?

I shouldn't worry either way... there are always colleagues with young families or other financial commitments who will mop up any Docket !
I have another child due October/November so will want to spend as much time as possible with them. Assuming Christmas overtime will be from the 1st December?
Are you ft or pt
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Made up to F/T at Christmas

Post by twoloops »

They usually ask the part timers if they would like to work full time hours over Christmas, it's your choice, now if ALL the part timers said a big fat NO they might be some more full time contracts handed out? :arrrghhh
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Made up to F/T at Christmas

Post by SpacePhoenix »

mattycash wrote:They usually ask the part timers if they would like to work full time hours over Christmas, it's your choice, now if ALL the part timers said a big fat NO they might be some more full time contracts handed out? :arrrghhh
:left: If it's a MC then they'd just get more casuals in. Don't know about DOs but in MCs the trend seems to be towards in increase in part timers and the us of casuals/agency