ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Parcel sorting machines

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Nick b
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 32
Joined: 22 Jul 2017, 21:57
Gender: Male

Parcel sorting machines

Post by Nick b »

Recently we had (costing a few million) a packet sorting machine put into our mail centre the 7th 8th or 9th to be up and running. Obviously there are a (to be polite) a few teething problems, the main one being the fragility of many packets, as the machine ‘unlike a human’ cannot judge whether you can throw or place a packet into a York, therefore the back of my vehicle smells like the perfume counter at Debenhams (I could say hoors armpit but I’ll keep it p.c.) where sadly bottles have been broken passing through it. Speaking to my friends who are on the machine some design faults can be rectified but here’s the rub: I said earlier this was not the first machine so.. why were These simple problems not passed on from machine no1 to the rest. This seemingly lack of communication is costly to the company (us) but I do have a nice smelly lorry.
jmcg
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 15:50
Gender: Male

Parcel sorting machines

Post by jmcg »

Royal Mail loves these machines, I see the damage they cause on a daily basis and it is alarming, I wonder how much it is costing in compensation claims every year?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Parcel sorting machines

Post by SpacePhoenix »

What's the minimum number of staff needed to operate them (and what's the maximum number)?
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Parcel sorting machines

Post by norris9 »

jmcg wrote:Royal Mail loves these machines, I see the damage they cause on a daily basis and it is alarming, I wonder how much it is costing in compensation claims every year?
I am curious how much Royal Mail lose in compensation claims for losing/damaging post and for late Special Deliveries in comparison to what they unintentionally gain from their errors.

Obviously it would be impossible to work out as who knows how many items have to be resent and how much people pay to resend things.
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Parcel sorting machines

Post by glenfiddich »

it should be fun then when they lift the restrictions on banned substances then:whistle
hans solo
Posts: 3289
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Parcel sorting machines

Post by hans solo »

brother in laws 50th birthday present {leaking due to cracked bottle exclusive whisky} wrecked
guess what returned and redelivered again :left: :left: :left: :left: :left: :left: :left:
postman1979
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 104
Joined: 14 Dec 2010, 19:49
Gender: Male

Parcel sorting machines

Post by postman1979 »

Anybody got a list of which office have got theses packet machine running already. Ours is currently being built.
jmcg
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 15:50
Gender: Male

Parcel sorting machines

Post by jmcg »

Swindon,Greenford,Warrington,Home Counties north, think there's another 5 in operation and I believe the target is 20..subject to change obviously....
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Parcel sorting machines

Post by SpacePhoenix »

jmcg wrote:Swindon,Greenford,Warrington,Home Counties north, think there's another 5 in operation and I believe the target is 20..subject to change obviously....
If the target is 20 then that could mean all the smaller MCs loosing some or all of their packet work (I'd expect at least the 2C, probably 2C letters and flats would also go to the larger MCs as well for running through IMPs/iLSMs (letters) and T2K machines (flats)
Steve_claret
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 324
Joined: 17 Dec 2011, 14:53
Gender: Male

Parcel sorting machines

Post by Steve_claret »

jmcg wrote:Swindon,Greenford,Warrington,Home Counties north, think there's another 5 in operation and I believe the target is 20..subject to change obviously....
Gatwick, Leeds, South Midlands, Birmingham, Jubilee, Chelmsford, Preston are the others to date.