I have had my training, but I'm still learning... and there are a couple things that I am unsure of...
1. Deads.
I have been shown that I need to cross out the name and address and circle the return address on 'Deads'. But I wasn't shown where the Deads appeared from. They were just already there on the desk of the frame. Are they separated out by whoever fills the frame? That person knows which ones are Deads? they have a list or something? How do they know which letters need to be returned to the sender?
2. Exterior post boxes
When people have boxes outside their homes + a letterbox on their door.... do you always put post in the box instead of through their letterbox?
I delivered to a house the other day with a naff looking home made wooden letter box by their front gate, but could see they had a letterbox on their door. I chose the naff wooden letterbox as it saved me walking down their front garden path to their door.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Newbie questions
-
The Postman
- Posts: 267
- Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
- Gender: Male
Newbie questions
Yes, the Postie that sorts the frame will know which Mail to kill off, or some of your customers may hand you the previous occupiers mail to kill off. If there’s a separate secure box outside the door use this as I’ve found it’s usually to stop a dog eating the Mail or biting your fingers.norris9 wrote:I have had my training, but I'm still learning... and there are a couple things that I am unsure of...
1. Deads.
I have been shown that I need to cross out the name and address and circle the return address on 'Deads'. But I wasn't shown where the Deads appeared from. They were just already there on the desk of the frame. Are they separated out by whoever fills the frame? That person knows which ones are Deads? they have a list or something? How do they know which letters need to be returned to the sender?
2. Exterior post boxes
When people have boxes outside their homes + a letterbox on their door.... do you always put post in the box instead of through their letterbox?
I delivered to a house the other day with a naff looking home made wooden letter box by their front gate, but could see they had a letterbox on their door. I chose the naff wooden letterbox as it saved me walking down their front garden path to their door.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Newbie questions
Several possibilities, including (but not exhaustive) and some you will only get to know when you are the walk holder:norris9 wrote:I have had my training, but I'm still learning... and there are a couple things that I am unsure of...
1. Deads.
I have been shown that I need to cross out the name and address and circle the return address on 'Deads'. But I wasn't shown where the Deads appeared from. They were just already there on the desk of the frame. Are they separated out by whoever fills the frame? That person knows which ones are Deads? they have a list or something? How do they know which letters need to be returned to the sender?
Current occupant gives you letter back - they don't live here mate!
Letter comes back through your walksort with variations of 'Doesn't live here' scrawled on it - however you have to be aware that it may have been mis-delivered to the wrong address and has come back for correct delivery.
You're a regular on the round, somebody moves out, their re-direction runs out and you confirm with new occupant that they don't want the mail for the previously named occupant (although the official RM line is that you should still deliver).
Address doesn't exist!
Sealed or full letterboxes.
Old Mrs Jones died twenty years ago...
I always deliver to the box on the wall/gate if there is one - there might be a mad dog behind the letterbox, even if it's not a mad dog they sometimes enjoynorris9 wrote: 2. Exterior post boxes
When people have boxes outside their homes + a letterbox on their door.... do you always put post in the box instead of through their letterbox?
I delivered to a house the other day with a naff looking home made wooden letter box by their front gate, but could see they had a letterbox on their door. I chose the naff wooden letterbox as it saved me walking down their front garden path to their door.
chewing up the mail.
-
Bboingg
- Posts: 69
- Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Newbie questions
Rubber Band a 739 SD or 739 Signed For letters onto a larger 739 Parcel , as soon as possible, is one trick to avoid losing them on the way back.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Newbie questions
If there is a metal postbox on the wall etc by a front door it usually means they want you to use that. If they don't want you to they will usually tape up the hole so you can't use it.
On kill offs/dead items if you are going to preemptively return them to sender really know for certain that those people have gone away. The easiest solution to ask the person at the address if the person still lives there or if they want you to kill them off from now on then remember that information or make physical notes. The most annoying thing is when they save them up for months then post them back to us en masse. That doesn't happen very often though. Generally its only the regular postie for the walk that will preemptively kill off mail for people that have moved or died.
On kill offs/dead items if you are going to preemptively return them to sender really know for certain that those people have gone away. The easiest solution to ask the person at the address if the person still lives there or if they want you to kill them off from now on then remember that information or make physical notes. The most annoying thing is when they save them up for months then post them back to us en masse. That doesn't happen very often though. Generally its only the regular postie for the walk that will preemptively kill off mail for people that have moved or died.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.