ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Ciderboy1957
Posts: 221
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:46
Gender: Male

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by Ciderboy1957 »

Gents , looks like I am getting dismissed re no seat belt .If I resigned what notice do I give and what would I be entitled to , sweet face no doubt , 38 years service , thanx in advance
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by norris9 »

Ciderboy1957 wrote:Gents , looks like I am getting dismissed re no seat belt .If I resigned what notice do I give and what would I be entitled to , sweet face no doubt , 38 years service , thanx in advance
Wow. Sucks man.

One of the guys I trained with was saying to me "I don't know why you are putting your seatbelt on - we are only going up the road".

I am definitely putting my seatbelt on every time from now on.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by rubberbond »

Good grief, that's a very harsh punishment.
Presumably this is on some kind of safety grounds, if not the legal position, however if I were defending you ,I would ask the question that if they are considering dismissal,for a first offence , how many people have been dismissed after being caught speeding in a Royal Mail van? It's the same issue as far as I can see ,under the same Road Traffic legislation , my guess is not very many.
There is no consistency in this job , I heard someone at the office I work in had plugged the seat belt into the holder and wrapped it round the drivers seat to stop the alarm going off, however they were caught and from what I gather got a two year serious.
jnob66
Posts: 8
Joined: 13 Dec 2015, 20:21
Gender: Male

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by jnob66 »

Not even illegal if driving a goods vehicle on deliveries that is travelling no more than 50 metres between stops.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by clashcityrocker »

jnob66 wrote:Not even illegal if driving a goods vehicle on deliveries that is travelling no more than 50 metres between stops.
I really don't know why people insist on repeating this little nugget of nothingness.
RM policy is to wear the seat belt at all times.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

clashcityrocker wrote:
jnob66 wrote:Not even illegal if driving a goods vehicle on deliveries that is travelling no more than 50 metres between stops.
I really don't know why people insist on repeating this little nugget of nothingness.
RM policy is to wear the seat belt at all times.

Agreed.

It's not illegal to post on Facebook, or on here, but people have been dismissed for posts on both platforms.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by world class male »

clashcityrocker wrote:
jnob66 wrote:Not even illegal if driving a goods vehicle on deliveries that is travelling no more than 50 metres between stops.
I really don't know why people insist on repeating this little nugget of nothingness.
RM policy is to wear the seat belt at all times.
too true CCR as you pointed out on his previous thread, some dangerous advice given out which may suit yodel/hermes drivers but definitely not royal mail drivers
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Ciderboy1957 wrote:Gents , looks like I am getting dismissed re no seat belt .If I resigned what notice do I give and what would I be entitled to , sweet face no doubt , 38 years service , thanx in advance

The notice period changed recently but as a long server, I believe its still only 1 week for you.

Leave is a strange animal, although they give you 6 weeks per year, you are not entitled to all of it on the first day of the leave year. What actually happens you accrue the entitlement over the year. So if you are entitled to 6 weeks per year you accrue about 1 week every 2 months. The leave year only just started so you'll be entitled to a few days at most depending on when and if you resign.

Personally, if you are intent on resigning I would remain on suspension whilst looking for other employment and then make the decision when you have more options open to you.

I just notice you have 38 years in, I would also check options with regard to pensions etc.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by Postie45 »

are they threatening you with being sacked ? did you previously get on with management at all or do they seem to want you out ?
The punishment just seems overly harsh without a previous track record of misconduct, and i might be tempted to force their hand rather than resign which could be a much easier out for them, but youd need to speak to a rep or maybe even a solicitor about this.
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by world class male »

sad state of affairs when after 38yrs service it comes to this, yes it's wrong and bet most of us have done it, it's not like you've dumped something
i'm not privvy to your record, but if mainly clean surely it's worth a try for the union could beat this down to a 2 year serious?
i wouldn't rush into resignation yet, seek advice from your top divisional rep 1st
lightningpostman
Posts: 271
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
Gender: Male

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by lightningpostman »

it must be a stressful situation for you,

i would go see the doctor about how stressed out you are get them to sign you off a while and in the meantime consult your area rep and see what they can do.

if its likely your a gonna then while off in this period start looking for alternative work.

i am right to believe that if you leave rather then get dismissed you may still have your shares and other benefits.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by Navalron »

With 38 years service, I'm sure it's 8 weeks. Can't find the exact booklet but have seen posties dismissed before and they have had several weeks notice. The 1 week is if he/she gives notice to leave on the posties terms and not SNLR.(services no longer required). Newer posties is 4 weeks notice with no extra weeks on dismissal.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by Navalron »

Ciderboy1957 wrote:Gents , looks like I am getting dismissed re no seat belt .If I resigned what notice do I give and what would I be entitled to , sweet face no doubt , 38 years service , thanx in advance
Please don't resign. You will be playing into their hands and will have no recourse to employment tribunal except for constructive/forced resignation. Also if you needed access to benefits you cannot claim any for 28 weeks as by resigning you have made yourself unemployed. There is a way round that and if it happens PM me and I will sort you out but it shouldn't come to that. Good luck.
zz666
Posts: 223
Joined: 22 Jul 2016, 20:08
Gender: Male

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by zz666 »

Should get verbal then written warnings first I think. Not a instant dismissal case if you ask me.
Sledge4211
Posts: 68
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
Gender: Male

Resigning and what I am entitled to ie leave etc

Post by Sledge4211 »

Seems to me the management would use any excuse to get rid of a full timer on a higher wage than others to replace them with a new part timer....sucks big time