ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Delivery attempts before knocking down

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Delivery attempts before knocking down

Post by Seymour Buts »

What's the amount of delivery attempts that should be made before returning mail to sender? There's a takeaway on a duty I'm currently covering, they've got no letterbox or delivery point. Normally I'd try and slide mail under a door or shutter, but no can do either. Neither of the shops either side will take it. I'm sure I overheard once you should try residential properties x amount of times and comercial premises x amount of times before returning the mail.
lightningpostman
Posts: 271
Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
Gender: Male

Delivery attempts before knocking down

Post by lightningpostman »

postietom wrote:What's the amount of delivery attempts that should be made before returning mail to sender? There's a takeaway on a duty I'm currently covering, they've got no letterbox or delivery point. Normally I'd try and slide mail under a door or shutter, but no can do either. Neither of the shops either side will take it. I'm sure I overheard once you should try residential properties x amount of times and comercial premises x amount of times before returning the mail.
no delivery point, you kill it off until there is one
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Delivery attempts before knocking down

Post by daveyeff »

no access. kill off.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Delivery attempts before knocking down

Post by clashcityrocker »

It might be a good idea to mention it to your manager then they can go and discuss it with the place and discuss options.
It used to be the case that you had to try something for 18 days (equivalent to the time an item would be kept if P739d) before you could kill it off.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Daveg50
Posts: 40
Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Delivery attempts before knocking down

Post by Daveg50 »

By the book you are not allowed to hold mail in the office unless the customer has applied for a retention, however the unofficial time limit which is acceptable in most offices is 3 days. so if no joy within 3 days KILL OFF.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Delivery attempts before knocking down

Post by daveyeff »

I remember once a few year back there was a house on my old duty that didn't have a letterbox because it was a brand new door. and they hadn't put a one in the door. so I took the letter back to the office. the gaffer said hold it for 3 days, if they don't get one put in by then, kill it off and we'll write to them and let them know. I said and where will I post this reminder!! to which he just shrugged his shoulders. :Very Happy
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Delivery attempts before knocking down

Post by aiden01 »

daveyeff wrote:I remember once a few year back there was a house on my old duty that didn't have a letterbox because it was a brand new door. and they hadn't put a one in the door. so I took the letter back to the office. the gaffer said hold it for 3 days, if they don't get one put in by then, kill it off and we'll write to them and let them know. I said and where will I post this reminder!! to which he just shrugged his shoulders. :Very Happy
:Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Delivery attempts before knocking down

Post by Celgar »

Strictly speaking if there is nowhere safe to leave the mail and no letterbox then you should kill it off marking the 'inaccessible' box on the kill off sticker on the same day. To do otherwise is to be providing a free keep safe service which is not allowed.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.