ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jennie-c
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 May 2016, 22:42
Gender: Female

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by jennie-c »

I don't have a health issue regarding RM footwear, I find them heavy and uncomfortable for wearing while out on delivery. My office is now saying all posties must wear RM footwear, but up until now we had been allowed to wear whatever footwear we wanted. Can they insist I wear them? I think i'll end up with foot problems if I wear them for long periods of time, and would prefer to wear my own plain black comfortable walking shoes which I have worn for the past 3 years. Is it documented somewhere that RM footwear is compulsory to be worn?
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by leolion855 »

yes, although you can put your own gel insoles in.
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by world class male »

you can get a dr's note to say RM standard issue shoes aren't suitable and you are allowed £30 (just gone up but not sure how much) towards buying your own footwear twice per year, as long has they're not bright orange, it's ok
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by rubberbond »

I always wear my own , because the quality,comfort and longevity of Royal Mail kit is beneath the level of abysmal.
No one ever says anything, only periodically and then it's ignored, especially if you look around at what others are wearing and not just footwear eitger, some people don't appear to wear anything that is provided by Royal Mail, speaks volumes really.
zipmeister
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 17:37
Gender: Male

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by zipmeister »

Royal mail footwear is not compulsory .You can wear any footwear that is suitable for the job as long as they are black or dark colours.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by Postie45 »

So the stories about people falling over on delivery whilst not wearing approved RM shoes with no drs note and getting conducted are false?
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by aiden01 »

world class male wrote:you can get a dr's note to say RM standard issue shoes aren't suitable and you are allowed £30 (just gone up but not sure how much) towards buying your own footwear twice per year, as long has they're not bright orange, it's ok
£34 now.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by Seymour Buts »

zipmeister wrote:Royal mail footwear is not compulsory .You can wear any footwear that is suitable for the job as long as they are black or dark colours.
Yes it is. As others have said, you need a note from a doctor if you're wearing non Royal Mail footwear. The rule may not be enforced at different offices, but it's a rule non the less.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by Ren Hoëk »

Unless you have managers permission (Dr's note) then you must wear RM supplied footwear. Enforcement differs from office to office. I wear my trainers on the regular and never get picked up on it but I'm sure that if I had a slip/fall that resulted in an injury that would be the first thing they checked. Probably should start wearing the proper shoes really... :nana

Thought this was quite interesting though.

"Polo shirt
Must not be worn on customer-facing duties."


http://www.cwu-e4.co.uk/Royal_Mail_Unif ... eement.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by postmanzach »

Ren Hoëk wrote:Unless you have managers permission (Dr's note) then you must wear RM supplied footwear. Enforcement differs from office to office. I wear my trainers on the regular and never get picked up on it but I'm sure that if I had a slip/fall that resulted in an injury that would be the first thing they checked. Probably should start wearing the proper shoes really... :nana

Thought this was quite interesting though.

"Polo shirt
Must not be worn on customer-facing duties."


http://www.cwu-e4.co.uk/Royal_Mail_Unif ... eement.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That’s a mad one! Seeing as most of the photos used on posters and on Royal Mail tv people are wearing them. Also noticed they hardly ever have hi vis vests on when on delivery.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by rubberbond »

postietom wrote:
zipmeister wrote:Royal mail footwear is not compulsory .You can wear any footwear that is suitable for the job as long as they are black or dark colours.
Yes it is. As others have said, you need a note from a doctor if you're wearing non Royal Mail footwear. The rule may not be enforced at different offices, but it's a rule non the less.
You don't need a note from your Dr , I should imagine they've got better things to do , get one from a podiatrist. If they want us to wear the footwear ,then it's about they provided decent ,quality and durable footwear. I won't hold my breath.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Ren Hoëk wrote: "Polo shirt
Must not be worn on customer-facing duties."


http://www.cwu-e4.co.uk/Royal_Mail_Unif ... eement.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And how old is that document?
The tie is no longer part of our uniform and hasn't been for about 15 years.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by Ren Hoëk »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote: "Polo shirt
Must not be worn on customer-facing duties."


http://www.cwu-e4.co.uk/Royal_Mail_Unif ... eement.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And how old is that document?

The tie is no longer part of our uniform and hasn't been for about 15 years.
MATE. I don't know. I found it on the CWU website. Feel free to link to a more up to date one. I also quoted that as it did seem peculiar.
Sylvia79
Posts: 13
Joined: 02 Mar 2019, 08:27
Gender: Female

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by Sylvia79 »

aiden01 wrote:
world class male wrote:you can get a dr's note to say RM standard issue shoes aren't suitable and you are allowed £30 (just gone up but not sure how much) towards buying your own footwear twice per year, as long has they're not bright orange, it's ok
£34 now.
How do you claim £34? I will be taking the note from my GP.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Are RM shoes compulsory?

Post by aiden01 »

Sylvia79 wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
world class male wrote:you can get a dr's note to say RM standard issue shoes aren't suitable and you are allowed £30 (just gone up but not sure how much) towards buying your own footwear twice per year, as long has they're not bright orange, it's ok
£34 now.
How do you claim £34? I will be taking the note from my GP.
Get letter from your GP and give it to your manager they should do the rest. i always get it paid within 2 weeks.