I started mid Feb and was on what I presume was emergency tax code (OT/1). Last payslip I received it had finally changed to 1185L/1. Then looked at today’s payslip and it’s changed again to CBR/0. Who do I contact about this? Payroll or HMRC? Just want to get it finally sorted so I know where I’m at. I’ve paid £102.20 this week in tax which I know can’t be right when I only paid £28 last week
Also, the tax that I’ve been over paying, will I get that back through my wages automatically or will I need to claim it through HMRC?
I was on an emergency tax code too. I ended up online getting a government gateway account and told them about my issue of wrong tax code and also about claiming back over tax. They got back in both cases in about a week. They sent me a form to fill in once I get my P60 from RM for the claim back. They also sent a letter about my new tax code which has been changed. Mine is 1262. In other words first £12620 tax free. This includes the £120 uniform cleaning tax free allowance you should also claim. I tried phoning HRMC but on hold for 15 mins so did online. No idea if payroll can help.
I would also contact HMRC and ask if they can issue a Notice of Coding to your employer.
RM do not have enough info to tax you correctly. You should've either givent hem P45 from last employer or completed a P46 to say this is your only job.
The OT tax code means you have no allowances at all. The CBR code means you have another job or pension - so therefor yo don't get allowances.
If that's not right call payroll then HMRC.
Once they put you on the corret tax code you wil get it back in your wages.
Thanks both for the replies. I have a government gateway account but couldn’t see anywhere to tell them the issues with the tax code. I’ll try calling both tomorrow once I’ve finished work.
Just been in to my HMRC gateway account again. Checked my details for this year and there is one employer listed (RM) and it states that my allowance is 1250..which all looks right. But then when I click on the tax code allocated (CBR) it then lists my old employer too which I left back in July last year. So looks like some kind of glitch and they have me paying the flat rate of 20% tax as they think it’s a second job. So, phone call it is then.
misstmac wrote:Just been in to my HMRC gateway account again. Checked my details for this year and there is one employer listed (RM) and it states that my allowance is 1250..which all looks right. But then when I click on the tax code allocated (CBR) it then lists my old employer too which I left back in July last year. So looks like some kind of glitch and they have me paying the flat rate of 20% tax as they think it’s a second job. So, phone call it is then.
Get it changed to 1262. You are entitled to an extra £120 tax free for uniform cleaning. I know it is not much but better having an extra £24 a year in your pocket than the tax man. Anyone who has been with RM for years and not claimed should be able to claim a few quid back dated.
misstmac wrote:Just been in to my HMRC gateway account again. Checked my details for this year and there is one employer listed (RM) and it states that my allowance is 1250..which all looks right. But then when I click on the tax code allocated (CBR) it then lists my old employer too which I left back in July last year. So looks like some kind of glitch and they have me paying the flat rate of 20% tax as they think it’s a second job. So, phone call it is then.
Get it changed to 1262. You are entitled to an extra £120 tax free for uniform cleaning. I know it is not much but better having an extra £24 a year in your pocket than the tax man. Anyone who has been with RM for years and not claimed should be able to claim a few quid back dated.
So how do you claim the 120£ for uniform cleaning ? At the end of the tax year ? Thank you in advance
wacko74 wrote:I really don't understand tax codes, how come mine has changed on my last 2 payslips...
5/4/19 - C1254L/O
12/4/19 - 1189L/O
Do either of them sound right?
I am on the emergency tax code too, 0T/0, I have called the HMRC and they've said that they will contact the employer to get the right tax code, this week I was paid and it was the same code.
Anyway if you call the HMRC try and call in the morning or when most of the people are at work as you will get through in less than 20 minutes.
misstmac wrote:Just been in to my HMRC gateway account again. Checked my details for this year and there is one employer listed (RM) and it states that my allowance is 1250..which all looks right. But then when I click on the tax code allocated (CBR) it then lists my old employer too which I left back in July last year. So looks like some kind of glitch and they have me paying the flat rate of 20% tax as they think it’s a second job. So, phone call it is then.
Get it changed to 1262. You are entitled to an extra £120 tax free for uniform cleaning. I know it is not much but better having an extra £24 a year in your pocket than the tax man. Anyone who has been with RM for years and not claimed should be able to claim a few quid back dated.
So how do you claim the 120£ for uniform cleaning ? At the end of the tax year ? Thank you in advance
If you inform the tax office now, they will change your tax code so you pay less tax throughout the year. You don't get 120, instead
you are not taxed on 120 of your wages which works out to be about the 24 quid already quoted. Don't wait until the end of the tax year - it's your money, claim it back now.
If you have "C" tax code eg C1262 it means you are a Welsh taxpayer. "From April 2019, the National Assembly for Wales will be able to vary the rates of income tax payable by Welsh taxpayers. Responsibility for many aspects of income tax will remain with the UK government, and the tax will continue to be collected by HMRC for Welsh taxpayers."
wacko74 wrote:I really don't understand tax codes, how come mine has changed on my last 2 payslips...
5/4/19 - C1254L/O
12/4/19 - 1189L/O
Do either of them sound right?
I am on the emergency tax code too, 0T/0, I have called the HMRC and they've said that they will contact the employer to get the right tax code, this week I was paid and it was the same code.
Anyway if you call the HMRC try and call in the morning or when most of the people are at work as you will get through in less than 20 minutes.
So you're saying one (or both) of them are emergency tax codes?
What tax code should I be on be on? On 30 hours, no other job, single, no dependants, no tax credits or other benefits