ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Jury service question
-
Libertine1
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 13 Apr 2018, 05:58
- Gender: Male
Jury service question
Hi,
I've been called up for Jury service for the 1st time in April and I'm a bit confused about what happens with the pay as I'm hearing conflicting things.
I've been told Royal mail pay me as normal but will claim money back from me afterwards. I've also heard that Royal mail should pay me an average of any overtime I regularly work as well. Is that true?
My manager has said that Royal mail will claim back the money I'm paid by the courts but in the Jury summons it says you can't claim loss of earnings if you're employer pays you while you are on Jury duty. So should I claim for loss of earnings from the courts? I'm worried I'm going to end up out of pocket and I really can't afford to.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
I've been called up for Jury service for the 1st time in April and I'm a bit confused about what happens with the pay as I'm hearing conflicting things.
I've been told Royal mail pay me as normal but will claim money back from me afterwards. I've also heard that Royal mail should pay me an average of any overtime I regularly work as well. Is that true?
My manager has said that Royal mail will claim back the money I'm paid by the courts but in the Jury summons it says you can't claim loss of earnings if you're employer pays you while you are on Jury duty. So should I claim for loss of earnings from the courts? I'm worried I'm going to end up out of pocket and I really can't afford to.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Jury service question
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Oth ... t-2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jury service: If an employee informs you that they have been called for jury service, you must ask them to provide
the notification of dates from the Court. Let the employee know that we will pay them an average of their basic
pay, assigned allowances and overtime (over the last 13 weeks). This is a loan, and when the employee receives
their loss of earnings from the court, they will be required to pay us back as a one-off payment, or as deductions
from their wage
Jury service: If an employee informs you that they have been called for jury service, you must ask them to provide
the notification of dates from the Court. Let the employee know that we will pay them an average of their basic
pay, assigned allowances and overtime (over the last 13 weeks). This is a loan, and when the employee receives
their loss of earnings from the court, they will be required to pay us back as a one-off payment, or as deductions
from their wage
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Jury service question
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/mrm/Tim ... ummary.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jury service: Before your jury service starts, you will need to give your manager the notification of the
dates from the Court. As the Court won’t reimburse your loss of earnings until after your jury service, we
will pay you an average of your basic pay, assigned allowances and overtime over the last 13 week period.
This payment is a loan from Royal Mail, so that you are not out of pocket during jury service. Once you
receive your loss of earnings from the Court, you will need to repay Royal Mail the outstanding amount
(either as a one-off payment or as deductions from your pay). S
Jury service: Before your jury service starts, you will need to give your manager the notification of the
dates from the Court. As the Court won’t reimburse your loss of earnings until after your jury service, we
will pay you an average of your basic pay, assigned allowances and overtime over the last 13 week period.
This payment is a loan from Royal Mail, so that you are not out of pocket during jury service. Once you
receive your loss of earnings from the Court, you will need to repay Royal Mail the outstanding amount
(either as a one-off payment or as deductions from your pay). S
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
iceman1277
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 28 Jan 2010, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Jury service question
Libertine1 wrote:Hi,
I've been called up for Jury service for the 1st time in April and I'm a bit confused about what happens with the pay as I'm hearing conflicting things.
I've been told Royal mail pay me as normal but will claim money back from me afterwards. I've also heard that Royal mail should pay me an average of any overtime I regularly work as well. Is that true?
My manager has said that Royal mail will claim back the money I'm paid by the courts but in the Jury summons it says you can't claim loss of earnings if you're employer pays you while you are on Jury duty. So should I claim for loss of earnings from the courts? I'm worried I'm going to end up out of pocket and I really can't afford to.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
did jury service last month go into your manger office get him to go on psp and print of the jury service form then fill it out copy the letter and send the form to personal office and there will fill out a loss of earns form.
which you take with you to the court and hand in royal mail will pay you for the days you are at court.
about aweek after you finish jury service you will get paid by the court. send all the paper work the court give you at the end back to personal office. then there will tell you what you keep and what you pay back.
You keep the travel money and the money for lunch and you pay back royal mail the rest i paid it back over 3 weeks.
get all the papper work done befor you got to court.
if your not sure phone the number on your wage slip and speak to someone as my manger didnt know what to do at first.
hope that helps.
-
DICKIEG
- Posts: 158
- Joined: 27 Jun 2011, 19:07
- Gender: Male
Jury service question
I did this last year, don't worry about losing money I ended up about £150 better off. I would do this again in a heartbeat. A lot of sitting about if you don't get case, I was lucky had 3 over the 10 days.
-
Libertine1
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 13 Apr 2018, 05:58
- Gender: Male
Jury service question
Thank you for the replies. Been very helpful. When speaking to my manager today he mentioned putting me down as 'off sick'. I'm not sure if he was joking or not. 
-
zzzidane
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 22:36
- Gender: Male
Jury service question
I got called up for jury service last year & it’s a shambles the way RM deal with it, which causes a lot of stress that you just don’t need. Managers clueless as to the procedure & payroll equally as useless. RM certainly didn’t pay me an average 13 week wage whilst i was called up. I just received a flat basic wage meaning i would have been out of pocket due to all the over time I couldn’t do, which I normally would have done, been a part timer. Best to just claim off the courts & tell RM to stick their wages for 2 weeks in my opinion!
Enjoy the jury service, it’s a very interesting experience.
Enjoy the jury service, it’s a very interesting experience.
-
Route1
- Posts: 369
- Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
- Gender: Female
Jury service question
Was selected for Jury service for the last two years.
I got paid more on jury service than I do with RM as the courts pay u ur average daily wage over the last 13 weeks.
1. Essentially u fill in a form for the manager to send to HR. RM will pay u as normal while u are on jury service.
2. HR post it out to you and u use it to claim from the courts once your service is done.
3. The courts will send u a check / pay into ur bank account.
4. RM will claim the wages back after the courts have paid you.
I got paid more on jury service than I do with RM as the courts pay u ur average daily wage over the last 13 weeks.
1. Essentially u fill in a form for the manager to send to HR. RM will pay u as normal while u are on jury service.
2. HR post it out to you and u use it to claim from the courts once your service is done.
3. The courts will send u a check / pay into ur bank account.
4. RM will claim the wages back after the courts have paid you.
-
Libertine1
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 13 Apr 2018, 05:58
- Gender: Male
Jury service question
So I'm 1 week into my Jury service with my 2nd week starting on Monday. My manager has put me down to work on the Saturday next week. Am I obligated to work the Saturday if I'm on Jury service Monday - Friday? My rotational day off is Tuesday.
Thank you for your replies.
Thank you for your replies.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Jury service question
well firstly youre not getting a day off Tuesday if youre "working" at court M-F. I would suggest you have completed a working week by honouring your court duties.Libertine1 wrote:So I'm 1 week into my Jury service with my 2nd week starting on Monday. My manager has put me down to work on the Saturday next week. Am I obligated to work the Saturday if I'm on Jury service Monday - Friday? My rotational day off is Tuesday.
Thank you for your replies.
Pisses me off but doesnt surprise me that a RM manager would do this.
If its me, under no circumstances am i working the Saturday, get union rep involved if you want.
-
hatter68
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 18 Sep 2009, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Jury service question
I recently done jury service was told had to work the Saturday because of the Wallington/rest week system
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Jury service question
Print this link for your manager. http://info.wandsworth.gov.uk/nici4s/pa ... loyers.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can my employee continue to work night shifts or weekends?
It is important that jurors are sufficiently fit and alert in order to carry out their important
public duty. Therefore we would recommend that they should not be made to work night
shifts before they are due in Court, or work weekends if this means that they do not have a
break from either jury service or their job for seven days.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
hatter68
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 18 Sep 2009, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Jury service question
Thanks for that I was only at court for few hours did not get to sit on any cases but colleague has been summoned so I will show him this
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Jury service question
What if you're not selected? I've been called but I am unsure how it works. Apparently you get a text to see if you are required the following day? Do I go to work if I am not required or do I take the two weeks off because I hear you can be called at any time?
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Jury service question
And how is it people end up BETTER off? It says on my form the court will cover my expenses upto 62 quid I think? That's less than what I make at Royal Mail in a day!