I'm after some clarification if possible, I've been in the job 12 months now.
3 weeks ago I put in a request for 18th April be my day off (I'm classed as a reserve so have nonset pattern despite been promised this at interview etc whole other story)
I was told would be ok, so today the staffing goes up for that week and low and behold I'm down to work and iv been told my day off is bank holiday Friday, ALL reserves have had this done to them regardless of those been on rounds for weeks so having that rounds day off etc..
I went to raise this as I need the specific day off as I have a course to attend and provided proof of the booking etc all part of the police, on raising the problem I was told and I quote by my manager -
"Tough it's now royal mail policy all reserves have bank holidays as their day off" on explaining and pointing out I requested this day weeks ago for a genuine reason I was basically told it's tough I will be in work and that's that, now I've looked at the booking for the course and because it is less than 10 days I cant change the booking without an additional £49 payment which I refuse to pay..
Ultimately I'm trying to clarify if
A) is it now policy that reserves and those not assigned a permanent round are basically forced to have a bank holiday as their day off?
B) I spoke to my union rep who wasnt too sure to be honest about what to go for next and said he would speak to my manager about it, but if he still refuses what would people suggest next steps...
C) if I was to not go in on that day what's the ultimate worse case after been told I had a genuine reason to need that as my day off, and if I dont attend the course I potentially have further fines, points, potential of a court summons etc so it is serious if not.
Many thanks
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Day off request / Bank Holiday week
-
Extortion84
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 14 Feb 2019, 20:36
- Gender: Male
-
leolion855
- Posts: 641
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Day off request / Bank Holiday week
no it isnt royal mail policy, its royal mails managers policy to dig them out of the brown stuff for a few weeks.
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
Day off request / Bank Holiday week
P
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
-
Extortion84
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 14 Feb 2019, 20:36
- Gender: Male
Day off request / Bank Holiday week
Up until this bank holiday we always got the option of - paid for it or another day off in lieu but now all of a sudden it's been spouted that because were reserves we HAVE to have that as our day off and I'm guessing they'll try pay us for it and leave it there, tbh my office is horrific so back hand tactics are always in play hence I wanna know exactly what policies have been agreed etc before I go in armed with the info :) obviously some staff just do as their told but I'll happily fight my corner if I know I'm right
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3221
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Day off request / Bank Holiday week
Your first mistake was not filling out the annual leave request form and booking it as a day off
Manager would then have had to accept or reject it and sign it off and couldnt go back on it
Manager would then have had to accept or reject it and sign it off and couldnt go back on it
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
Extortion84
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 14 Feb 2019, 20:36
- Gender: Male
Day off request / Bank Holiday week
We dont have annual leave request forms in our office, literally people want days off or holiday they scribble it on a piece of paper and put it in a folder..
It is in writing in the folder as I requested a Wednesday off on the same piece of paper a couple weeks ago and that was all done and sorted.
It is in writing in the folder as I requested a Wednesday off on the same piece of paper a couple weeks ago and that was all done and sorted.
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Day off request / Bank Holiday week
This is crap and the Rep is crap. You should all have an annual leave card with your holiday bookings.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Day off request / Bank Holiday week
Chances are that the whole week is fully booked anyway