ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Firms asking name for security
-
Sledge4211
- Posts: 68
- Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
- Gender: Male
Firms asking name for security
I had two firms today asking me for my full name today on a round I covered which I gave because that was there policy as I had to drive through there security gates. At first I was a bit reluctant to give my name, I know some of you might think that’s tedious but surely isn’t that against data protection? Why can’t i show my ID badge to drive through a gate? I’m in a Royal Mail van, I can’t exactly go anywhere on the premises other than reception, so why do they need my name? They have deliveries everyday but surely I don’t need to give my name as it’s confidential. I’m okay giving my first name but my full name surely isn’t needed?
Do any of you guys get this delivering to businesses/company’s?
What advice would you give?
Do any of you guys get this delivering to businesses/company’s?
What advice would you give?
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Firms asking name for security
Just say, "it's the postie" and if he asks again, just repeat, "it's the postie, I've got your mail"
And then if he doesn't let you in, just reverse out. You'd have to be seriously pedantic to request details of the postman, mate I'm in a bright red van, with your mail, who the f**k do you think it is.
And then if he doesn't let you in, just reverse out. You'd have to be seriously pedantic to request details of the postman, mate I'm in a bright red van, with your mail, who the f**k do you think it is.
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Firms asking name for security
I suggest a different comic name every time until they get the message
Mike Hunt
Warwick Hunt
Hugh G Rection
Isaac Hock
I McHunt
Mike Hunt
Warwick Hunt
Hugh G Rection
Isaac Hock
I McHunt
Last edited by Sir Henry on 05 Apr 2019, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
Firms asking name for security
Your name is "confidential" ... Really ? ? ?
I'd just say "It's Royal Mail". There should be no requirement that you give your full name. Ask your manager or CWU rep for guidance. I'd allow security to see my ID badge. And that should be enough. At the end of the day we are all still the queen's messengers with a charter that allows us to go about our business unhindered. Just say you are "Royal Mail" !
I'd just say "It's Royal Mail". There should be no requirement that you give your full name. Ask your manager or CWU rep for guidance. I'd allow security to see my ID badge. And that should be enough. At the end of the day we are all still the queen's messengers with a charter that allows us to go about our business unhindered. Just say you are "Royal Mail" !
-
Marshamp11
- Posts: 437
- Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 16:38
- Gender: Male
Firms asking name for security
If there is a guard at security gate then treat that as first point of delivery and give it to that person to take it to reception. Or tell them to put a box on gate for you to deliver the mail into so you have no need then to give any details as you will no longer have any need to tresspass on to there property. Job done.Sledge4211 wrote:I had two firms today asking me for my full name today on a round I covered which I gave because that was there policy as I had to drive through there security gates. At first I was a bit reluctant to give my name, I know some of you might think that’s tedious but surely isn’t that against data protection? Why can’t i show my ID badge to drive through a gate? I’m in a Royal Mail van, I can’t exactly go anywhere on the premises other than reception, so why do they need my name? They have deliveries everyday but surely I don’t need to give my name as it’s confidential. I’m okay giving my first name but my full name surely isn’t needed?
Do any of you guys get this delivering to businesses/company’s?
What advice would you give?
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Firms asking name for security
Hugh Jarce 
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Firms asking name for security
Alf Huckim 
-
kookoo32
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 10 Oct 2008, 20:34
- Gender: Male
- Location: scotland
Firms asking name for security
I like your styleMurdoch wrote:Just say, "it's the postie" and if he asks again, just repeat, "it's the postie, I've got your mail"
And then if he doesn't let you in, just reverse out. You'd have to be seriously pedantic to request details of the postman, mate I'm in a bright red van, with your mail, who the f**k do you think it is.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32801
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Firms asking name for security
Ivor Biggun
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Sledge4211
- Posts: 68
- Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
- Gender: Male
Firms asking name for security
Murdoch wrote:Just say, "it's the postie" and if he asks again, just repeat, "it's the postie, I've got your mail"
And then if he doesn't let you in, just reverse out. You'd have to be seriously pedantic to request details of the postman, mate I'm in a bright red van, with your mail, who the f**k do you think it is.
It’s a guard at the gate he’s asks for your name then you have to drive up through barrier to reception hub
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Firms asking name for security
Justin Sider... 
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Firms asking name for security
just show him your id card it has your photo and name on if that's not good enough ask him if he wants the mail delivering or not then drive off endorse mail undeliverable then repeat the next day 
-
paranoid-android
- Posts: 106
- Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 09:17
- Gender: Male
Firms asking name for security
I had a firm wanted me to fill in a questionnaire each day. Name ,business I represent,person I’m visiting, vehicle reg , time and date.
I said I’m not filling that in,
Guard said I had to,
I said see you tomorrow bud.
And drove off taking the mail and a special with me.
After two days he just waved me through .
I said I’m not filling that in,
Guard said I had to,
I said see you tomorrow bud.
And drove off taking the mail and a special with me.
After two days he just waved me through .
-
onearmedbandit
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:10
- Gender: Male
Firms asking name for security
Had a new firms reception on my delivery tell me that they couldn't sign for a special delivery and they had to ring a manager while I waited ..my response was to pull a 739 card out and inform them they had until I filled it in to get the manager .. panic on the phone ..reception signed for item and no issues since then ..
I would inform the security guard that its the postman and if he didn't allow access return mail to office
I would inform the security guard that its the postman and if he didn't allow access return mail to office
-
blue1873
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 8879
- Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
- Gender: Male
Firms asking name for security
Or" Claude Ball"postslippete wrote:Justin Sider...