ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Injury from pushing HCT up hill

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
realitybites
Posts: 435
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 11:28
Gender: Male

Injury from pushing HCT up hill

Post by realitybites »

Have recently picked up a calf injury, grade 2. It followed a pretty innocuous trip/fall resulting in the injury. I have been pushing a HCT, fairly full most days, up a 30 degree incline which runs for about 100 metres, on to a 20 degree incline which runs for about 30 metres. I am pretty certain it has been the constant up and down with the HCT that has done it. I have always experienced a tightness in my calves but never really thought about it.
Will I receive a warning for this given it has been the progressive breakdown of the muscle over time?
I haven't been to the Drs yet but just reading about how these type of things occur.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16701
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Injury from pushing HCT up hill

Post by clashcityrocker »

You need to contact your H&S rep.
The HCT is not meant to be used on steep inclines. And certainly not when full.
Perhaps the duty hasn't been properly planned?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
realitybites
Posts: 435
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 11:28
Gender: Male

Injury from pushing HCT up hill

Post by realitybites »

Thanks
realitybites
Posts: 435
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 11:28
Gender: Male

Injury from pushing HCT up hill

Post by realitybites »

Does anyone know if there are published guidelines regarding HCT walks, ie. max capacity, Hill inclination (if there is one) or anything related to them
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Injury from pushing HCT up hill

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=31871" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; SSOW for RML Delivery HCT For Use on Delivery

There is a newer one for Mk2 HCT called - High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Mark 2 SSOW - but for the life of me I can't track a copy down.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Injury from pushing HCT up hill

Post by Bahia Feliz »

It will be your fault no doubt :Sick
realitybites
Posts: 435
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 11:28
Gender: Male

Injury from pushing HCT up hill

Post by realitybites »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=31871 SSOW for RML Delivery HCT For Use on Delivery

There is a newer one for Mk2 HCT called - High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Mark 2 SSOW - but for the life of me I can't track a copy down.
Thanks
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Injury from pushing HCT up hill

Post by yellowbelly »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=31871 SSOW for RML Delivery HCT For Use on Delivery

There is a newer one for Mk2 HCT called - High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Mark 2 SSOW - but for the life of me I can't track a copy down.
This one? (Nov 10, Revised Jul 12):

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 02#p523623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
realitybites
Posts: 435
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 11:28
Gender: Male

Injury from pushing HCT up hill

Post by realitybites »

[quote="Bahia Feliz"]It will be your faullt no doubt

Yes, probably
Never seen the consent form before though.
A gradual breakdown of my calf muscle over time I suppose is an unforeseen situation.
I suppose I will be held responsible due to some interpretation of the rules and regulations
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Injury from pushing HCT up hill

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

yellowbelly wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=31871 SSOW for RML Delivery HCT For Use on Delivery

There is a newer one for Mk2 HCT called - High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Mark 2 SSOW - but for the life of me I can't track a copy down.
This one? (Nov 10, Revised Jul 12):

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 02#p523623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:thumbup :thumbup
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
realitybites
Posts: 435
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 11:28
Gender: Male

Injury from pushing HCT up hill

Post by realitybites »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
yellowbelly wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=31871 SSOW for RML Delivery HCT For Use on Delivery

There is a newer one for Mk2 HCT called - High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Mark 2 SSOW - but for the life of me I can't track a copy down.
This one? (Nov 10, Revised Jul 12):

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 02#p523623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:thumbup :thumbup
Thanks again
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

Injury from pushing HCT up hill

Post by wallan »

realitybites wrote:Have recently picked up a calf injury, grade 2. It followed a pretty innocuous trip/fall resulting in the injury. I have been pushing a HCT, fairly full most days, up a 30 degree incline which runs for about 100 metres, on to a 20 degree incline which runs for about 30 metres. I am pretty certain it has been the constant up and down with the HCT that has done it. I have always experienced a tightness in my calves but never really thought about it.
Will I receive a warning for this given it has been the progressive breakdown of the muscle over time?
I haven't been to the Drs yet but just reading about how these type of things occur.
Many years ago my Mother used a wheel chair , we purchased what is called " A Wheel Chair Power Pack " this is a small electric motor / drive wheel that fits between the rear wheels of the Wheel Chair

Possibly some thing similar could be adapted for use on HCT,s