ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sick Absence

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
!LivingTheDream!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 21
Joined: 04 Mar 2019, 10:24
Gender: Male

Sick Absence

Post by !LivingTheDream! »

I'm currently on the sick & receiving SSP but I've getting a letter today from my Dom asking me to meet with him tomorrow to discuss my absence and talk about supporting me back to work and offering alternative work that would be suitable for me.

Do I have to go or should i ignore it ?

I tried to discuss problem's at work and was ignored after speaking up and having my own suggestion's about thing's i wasn't happy with
so I'm thinking this is just a way to attempt and try to bully and intimidate me ?

Any advice on the matter would be gratefully appreciated.
estelle
Posts: 194
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
Gender: Male

Sick Absence

Post by estelle »

It depends on how long you've been off for.

If it's a short absence, you only have to maintain contact with management, you do not have to attend a meeting or interview.

If you've been off for 28 days, then a face to face meeting would be appropriate, but even then, only if you are well enough to attend.
!LivingTheDream!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 21
Joined: 04 Mar 2019, 10:24
Gender: Male

Sick Absence

Post by !LivingTheDream! »

I've been absent for five day's today being the fifth day and a fit note covering me for two week's with a further one if required to extend my absence.

Thing is I've explained in a phone call to the Dom and my home and personal life didn't seem to matter just that I'm letting the Dom and RM down by being absent so i can't see how a meeting will change anything.
rogersh
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1374
Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
Gender: Male

Sick Absence

Post by rogersh »

!LivingTheDream! wrote:I'm currently on the sick & receiving SSP but I've getting a letter today from my Dom asking me to meet with him tomorrow to discuss my absence and talk about supporting me back to work and offering alternative work that would be suitable for me.

Do I have to go or should i ignore it ?

I tried to discuss problem's at work and was ignored after speaking up and having my own suggestion's about thing's i wasn't happy with
so I'm thinking this is just a way to attempt and try to bully and intimidate me ?

Any advice on the matter would be gratefully appreciated.
Go to home page - RM employment policies - see all the policies HERE - Attendance - download attendance policy.

Or for the new attendance agreement;
http://www.cwu-e4.co.uk/Attendance%20pr ... %20etc.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Sick Absence

Post by Sir Henry »

!LivingTheDream! wrote:Thing is I've explained in a phone call to the Dom and my home and personal life didn't seem to matter just that I'm letting the Dom and RM down by being absent.
Get in touch with your rep, ask them if this attempt at emotional blackmail is appropriate and what you should do about it.
Personally, anyone who tried this s**t on me would find a change in my fair minded attitude toward sick leave and not one to their liking.
Sounds to all intents and purposes that your Dim IS going to, bully, harass, cajole, blackmail etc etc you back to work before you're ready. Only today we had someone previously injured make it into work only to be told they must be fit enough if they got there. If there is a risk of whatever has caused your absence getting worse or taking longer to heal by going back before you're ready, don't go. Just inform your boss they you're unable to attend as you're UNDER NO OBLIGATION to do so.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
!LivingTheDream!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 21
Joined: 04 Mar 2019, 10:24
Gender: Male

Sick Absence

Post by !LivingTheDream! »

I've defended myself and spoke up in the DO and it's been ignored or I've a bad attitude for doing so but I'm calm as can be, no swearing just raising a query but making sure i have my say, from being a 1 on 1 dispute it end's up with me being pulled in to the office by 2 Dom's still not listening to what I'm saying.

Got pestered with missed call's whilst absent before finally calling back explaining my situation and didn't matter what i said or how bad home or work life was it felt like he was trying to get me to quit or return asap letting him down and how much investment and training has been spent on me. Even had a Dom at my door asking why i wasn't at work.

A simple first time example of intimidating me was the Dom came up to me said i was coming through the wrong door and to stop doing so and to use the other i said I've no ID though to gain access what am i supposed to do ? Stand outside and wait for a fellow co worker to let me in ? Could be 1 could be 10 mins before someone show's up.
!LivingTheDream!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 21
Joined: 04 Mar 2019, 10:24
Gender: Male

Sick Absence

Post by !LivingTheDream! »

I didn't go but let them know i wasn't attending, it was met with four missed call's and two text's asking me to call with an explanation.

Why should i ? I'm on the sick with a doctor's fit note.

I've never had hassle like it in any job in my life and this is the only job I've went on the sick on in twenty year's.

I don't see what a meeting will achieve apart from bullying and intimidating as I've tried to resolve this situation in the last four plus week's and a previous phone call didn't help and made me feel worse.

It's a shame as the job is sound, work mate's are great, no problem's, it's everything else.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Sick Absence

Post by Sir Henry »

I really would escalate this to area rep.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Sick Absence

Post by doorstepped »

Even had a Dom at my door asking why i wasn't at work.

That alone is worthy of a grievance against said manager. not allowed unless you have agreed to them doing so.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Sick Absence

Post by Brandy »

Nothing changes then! I wonder if management get this treatment if they go sick from their bosses. Oh sorry I forgot management never go sick!! :roll:
!LivingTheDream!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 21
Joined: 04 Mar 2019, 10:24
Gender: Male

Sick Absence

Post by !LivingTheDream! »

The Dom also left a voicemail questioning my reason for being off sick and what the doctor wrote compared to what was discussed over the phone between us.

I just want out and away now and have a job offer elsewhere but unsure whether to hand a notice in or not ?

When I heard there was bullying at Royal mail i thought it would be from fellow co worker's it's now i realise it's management.

Shame as this is local as I'm going to get for a job and the DO is literally a ten minute walk to work for me but getting messed about each day i won't put up with it.

Cheer's to all who commented it's very much appreciated thank you.
!LivingTheDream!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 21
Joined: 04 Mar 2019, 10:24
Gender: Male

Sick Absence

Post by !LivingTheDream! »

I've received a letter sent by special delivery from the DLM saying its important that i keep in contact and that my lack of contact is a concern along with missed call's,voicemails,and a hidden number. It's all very stressful when I'm trying to sort myself and home life out, and i get pestered too anxious/nervous to answer, I know if i answer the phone it will be met with intimidation and belittling and explaining my situation once again i think the only support i would get is when am i returning to duty.

I've not contacted rep because I've decided to leave and been offered job starting in 3 week's with a family friend to help me out which I'm grateful for. But whilst I'm still here do any of you think should get in touch with rep anyway ? Will he/she be able to help ?

Can anybody advise me in regards to working a notice. I don't want to but if i don't what would happen to owed holiday's etc. Would i be sacked if hand in sick note along with notice together or payed off immediately ? I'm asking as currently receiving ssp it's not alot but better than nothing it pay's the week's rent.

Job starts in 3 week's but i see the notice period is 4 week's. Any advice on what to do for the best ?

Thanks again.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Sick Absence

Post by Celgar »

Usually an official note from your GP stating when they recommend you will be returning to work should be enough. I have been off sick about four times over my twenty years at RM with complaints such as Norovirus or a swollen leg and foot which make it impossible to work. I have never personally had any hassle or intimidation about returning to work. How long have you been working for RM as a postie? It may be they treat new starters different to staff that have been working for RM for years not that I would defend that attitude.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
!LivingTheDream!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 21
Joined: 04 Mar 2019, 10:24
Gender: Male

Sick Absence

Post by !LivingTheDream! »

3 month's. In the first 4 week's i did 8 different duties & worked with 18 different Postie's, couldn't get settled or get used to a frame before being moved onto another.

I suggested leave me on 1 for 4-6 week's learn the rope's get used to the job & everything that it entails & then start me on other walk's & route's but i was ignored & kept being told 1-3 day's max is sufficient enough to learn a duty the postie has done for year's.

I know it's the way thing's are @ Royal Mail but I'm having none of it, notice handed in & no doubt will get pestered off Dom & Dlm.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Sick Absence

Post by Sir Henry »

Bud ffs do yourself a favour and get onto your rep or if they're shite get onto area and tell them what the shower of s**t management have been up to. in most circumstances you MUST keep in touch with the screws, the type and frequency of contact is to be discussed and AGREED between you not imposed by some twat who's wife fancies a new kitchen from a bonus earned from the sweat off YOUR back. If you have problems with anxiety this SHOULD be taken into account re contact but seeing as we are dealing with arseholes seemingly. i would leave it for the union to act as a filter to protect you from the harassment.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"