ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Forced Day off Change due to Efficiency

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
redshirt
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Mar 2019, 17:13
Gender: Male

Forced Day off Change due to Efficiency

Post by redshirt »

Hi all, hope someone can give some advice here.

Dim wants to change my set Sat day off to a rotating day off to which I have expressed my unhappiness due to issues I have.

I have been on this firms walk for over 3 years and the previous walk holder also was on the same set day off so basically it's always been known it has a set day off - reason I signed for it.

The reason given was to improve effiency within the office and to protect customer service :hmmmm I have no idea what this means in real terms although I am guessing it's maybe due to the small amount off new build residential that has ended up on my walk over the past 6 months or so - purely a guess though.

The day he wants me in now is to do a collecton which is done at the moment on SA and to take basically 1% of my walk out because 99% is closed!

I will pull the Rep but he's on annual leave at the moment.

Thoughts? can I lodge a disagreement or do I have to do as I am told?

Thanks

Redshirt.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Forced Day off Change due to Efficiency

Post by scoobydo79 »

I’d say You have had it good up to now .Its a six day working week.Every one has to do Saturdays.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Forced Day off Change due to Efficiency

Post by Postie45 »

operational needs, dont think you have much luck keeping a Saturday off unless you have a very good reason. You can always ask for unions help, but they have to weigh up fighting for your Saturday off whilst all their other members are required to work it.
vigilante
Posts: 1155
Joined: 20 May 2007, 19:13
Gender: Male
Location: dangerously close

Forced Day off Change due to Efficiency

Post by vigilante »

Yes we all work Saturdays but you signed for a Saturday day off duty...irrespective if people say well you should work SAT's we've got to.

DIM is playing a coy one here by covering the growth and SA overtime by you losing the Sat off.

Don't accept this, wait for your rep to fight this on his return.
If manager persists, get area rep involved.

Don't be bullied.
Always be one step ahead, play their game but be wiser. Revenge is sweet.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Forced Day off Change due to Efficiency

Post by cpsteve »

1% of your walk and a collection for a full days pay wow thats one easy day, i doubt it will be just that even if it starts out that way.
redshirt
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Mar 2019, 17:13
Gender: Male

Forced Day off Change due to Efficiency

Post by redshirt »

vigilante wrote:Yes we all work Saturdays but you signed for a Saturday day off duty...irrespective if people say well you should work SAT's we've got to.

DIM is playing a coy one here by covering the growth and SA overtime by you losing the Sat off.

Don't accept this, wait for your rep to fight this on his return.
If manager persists, get area rep involved.

Don't be bullied.
I'd wish you hadnt said that as I was resigned to just losing the Sat off to be honest.

I do realise how fortunate I've been getting every Sat off.

I spoke to a lad who is clued up today and he said I'll just have to accept doing the Sat collection as the DIM always struggles to cover it on SA, nobody want to do it apparently :sad:

Reps in Mon so will have a chat but not sure how that will go as to be honest he's pretty chummy with the DIM :arrrghhh
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Forced Day off Change due to Efficiency

Post by Sir Henry »

If your office rep is on holiday it's the perfect opportunity to ring the area for advice without looking like youre going over their head cos you don't trust them. Pin area rep down for some solid advice " as time is of the essence" and don't let them fob you off with 'wait until your rep comes back' type prevarication.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
redshirt
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Mar 2019, 17:13
Gender: Male

Forced Day off Change due to Efficiency

Post by redshirt »

Spoke to the Rep today and he said there isnt much he can do although he has managed to delay it a little due to the DIM writing out a letter to me stated I am now to go to a rotating day off, Rep said that was out of order and had a go at him so he said.

Office Rep basically says the collection thats done on SA and the Tracked for the small bit of Residential need to be done/taken out by me now even though I never signed up to that. He did mention I could go for A 10-6 duty which has Sats off but that is no good.

I will struggle to have anyone mind my Son now as my Parents can't do it due to ill health, Dim just thinks it's ok to do as he pleases without any thought at all :thumbdown

How do I contact my area Rep for guidance? Like I mentioned earlier, it's always been a Mon-Fri duty being a firms duty and the reason I signed for it - I even dropped my hours to get it as I am 20+ years in.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Forced Day off Change due to Efficiency

Post by Sir Henry »

https://www.cwu.org/contact-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can your rep not go to disagreement? That should give you a few weeks of the status quo at least AND piss your DOM off which is always a bonus.

I stand to be corrected whether the rep is able to go to disagreement over this or not.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
redshirt
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Mar 2019, 17:13
Gender: Male

Forced Day off Change due to Efficiency

Post by redshirt »

Sir Henry wrote:https://www.cwu.org/contact-us/

Can your rep not go to disagreement? That should give you a few weeks of the status quo at least AND piss your DOM off which is always a bonus.

I stand to be corrected whether the rep is able to go to disagreement over this or not.
Thanks for that Sir Henry although not sure which area we fall under, quite a few in the North!

I'll mention disagreement to the Rep although he's gone sick I believe :crazy: I may have to have Sats off unpaid If this doesnt get sorted as I've noone else to look after the little un :sad: stressful and probably the reason I've got a constant headache and other thoughts in my head :cry
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Forced Day off Change due to Efficiency

Post by Creditshampoo »

Not much you can do....unless it’s on your contract
barcajr
Posts: 168
Joined: 12 Oct 2009, 01:04
Gender: Male

Forced Day off Change due to Efficiency

Post by barcajr »

Good luck in trying to get support from your colleagues who have to work Saturdays. At the end of the day, RM deliveries is a six day operation