ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Duties to sign for

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Duties to sign for

Post by Seymour Buts »

There's a couple coming up in our office, just after some advice I guess from those who have been around the block a bit.

There's two coming up I think I might get: the better of the two in terms of delivery time is in a rubbish area though. It's a quite notorious area, a few scum bags ect. Not the kind of place you're gonna be taking parcels to neighbours. The other duty is in a far nicer area, but as a result it's much heavier as people have money I guess. I gets a lot of catalogs, oversized and normal parcels. It's probably a longer delivery span due to this.

Is the nicer area a price worth paying? Or should I take the rough area due to it being shorter?
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Duties to sign for

Post by scoobydo79 »

Nicer area!!! Delivering to rough areas sucks.I know this!!
Joe B
Posts: 35
Joined: 01 Dec 2017, 14:03
Gender: Male

Duties to sign for

Post by Joe B »

I would go for the nicer area personally, especially if you're going to be delivering it everyday.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Duties to sign for

Post by Judgee »

Nicer area definitely. Also bear in mind RM want everyone working their hours and so the shorter one could very well be increased in size sooner rather than later!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Duties to sign for

Post by miles_peters »

nicer area = bigger tips at Christmas :nana
Smir
Posts: 124
Joined: 31 Aug 2016, 16:48
Gender: Male

Duties to sign for

Post by Smir »

nicer area, get to know the people, they will most likely tell you where to leave stuff if they aren't in or what neighbour would take parcels for them etc...

parcels take so long.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

Duties to sign for

Post by WOBBLY »

I'd take a heavier duty in a nice area over an easy duty in a crappy area any day of the week!
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Duties to sign for

Post by Postie45 »

nice area EVERY TIME
youre spending a lot of time out on delivery, you may as well be somewhere you enjoy.
With the way most offices are going the people who come back early get to do other things in the end anyway. Plus booking excess or cutting off is still always an option if the duty is genuinely too big.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Duties to sign for

Post by Seymour Buts »

I'm thinking the same way as most to be honest. In terms of delivery points the duties are virtually identical but one is heavier therefore takes more time. Despite this I'm gonna try for the nicer area :thumbup