ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Continuous overtime
-
Barton0502
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 07 Mar 2019, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Continuous overtime
Hi everyone. I started at RM around 6 months ago. Firstly I am only on a 25 hour contract (although I do around 45 hours every week) which is what I want, I am happy doing this. I just wondered if there is anyway I can get my contract increased at all? Ideally I would obviously prefer a full time contract but understand these are very rare these days! But anything would be an improvement, what is the highest possible contract I could get to?
Secondly I remember being told something about if you work 12 continuous weeks over your contracted hours with no gaps, by law, your contract has to be increased. Is this correct? Or does anyone know of a similar law? I may have it wrong. Any help on how I could get my contract upgraded would be appreciated.
Secondly I remember being told something about if you work 12 continuous weeks over your contracted hours with no gaps, by law, your contract has to be increased. Is this correct? Or does anyone know of a similar law? I may have it wrong. Any help on how I could get my contract upgraded would be appreciated.
-
Ren Hoëk
- Posts: 737
- Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
- Gender: Male
Continuous overtime
I used to think it was if you can prove you have continuously worked full time hours for 6 months then there was the argument to be had that the hours were in the office and as such a full time contract to be had. BUT, it would be offered on seniority. So even though you were the one putting the hours in someone more senior could potentially take the contract. BUT, I could be wrong (It happens allot)Barton0502 wrote:Hi everyone. I started at RM around 6 months ago. Firstly I am only on a 25 hour contract (although I do around 45 hours every week) which is what I want, I am happy doing this. I just wondered if there is anyway I can get my contract increased at all? Ideally I would obviously prefer a full time contract but understand these are very rare these days! But anything would be an improvement, what is the highest possible contract I could get to?
Secondly I remember being told something about if you work 12 continuous weeks over your contracted hours with no gaps, by law, your contract has to be increased. Is this correct? Or does anyone know of a similar law? I may have it wrong. Any help on how I could get my contract upgraded would be appreciated.
As per what the max contract you could get. Im afraid since the new agreement a Full time contract is now 35 hours. This came into force October 2018. Anyone on FT before the new agreement will be on 38. Soon to be 37 with the aim of getting them to 35.
Im sure one of the union guys who post here will be able to put you and me straight? Are you in the union? If so, Have a chat with your rep and explain the situation. If not, Perhaps think about joining.
-
Barton0502
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 07 Mar 2019, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Continuous overtime
Sounds sensible. Although I was sure someone told me it was 12 weeks. Although doesn’t seem so far on the seniority side of it if that is how it works!Ren Hoëk wrote:I used to think it was if you can prove you have continuously worked full time hours for 6 months then there was the argument to be had that the hours were in the office and as such a full time contract to be had. BUT, it would be offered on seniority. So even though you were the one putting the hours in someone more senior could potentially take the contract. BUT, I could be wrong (It happens allot)Barton0502 wrote:Hi everyone. I started at RM around 6 months ago. Firstly I am only on a 25 hour contract (although I do around 45 hours every week) which is what I want, I am happy doing this. I just wondered if there is anyway I can get my contract increased at all? Ideally I would obviously prefer a full time contract but understand these are very rare these days! But anything would be an improvement, what is the highest possible contract I could get to?
Secondly I remember being told something about if you work 12 continuous weeks over your contracted hours with no gaps, by law, your contract has to be increased. Is this correct? Or does anyone know of a similar law? I may have it wrong. Any help on how I could get my contract upgraded would be appreciated.
As per what the max contract you could get. Im afraid since the new agreement a Full time contract is now 35 hours. This came into force October 2018. Anyone on FT before the new agreement will be on 38. Soon to be 37 with the aim of getting them to 35.
Im sure one of the union guys who post here will be able to put you and me straight? Are you in the union? If so, Have a chat with your rep and explain the situation. If not, Perhaps think about joining.
35 hours is what I thought yes, and that would be great to get to if anyone knows how I can go about this?
I am in the union yes and I did try to speak to my rep about it, but he was abit unsure of the exact rules regarding this as he said it gets very complicated and RM move the goalposts. He said he was going to meet with the area rep and would ask him and get back to
Me. If anyone on here knows the ruling that would be great!
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3221
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Continuous overtime
Seniority overrules all when it comes to the handing out of FT contracts
The union should have made that clear instead of peddling this
The union should have made that clear instead of peddling this
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Continuous overtime
38 hour contracts on offer in our DO until next revision.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
Barton0502
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 07 Mar 2019, 15:17
- Gender: Male
Continuous overtime
So there isn’t really any way of getting a better contract?
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3221
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Continuous overtime
There is but its down to length of service and being lucky reallyBarton0502 wrote:So there isn’t really any way of getting a better contract?
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
Ren Hoëk
- Posts: 737
- Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
- Gender: Male
Continuous overtime
Thats interesting. I must say I was made up to 38 hours after October 2018 but I assumed that was because I have been on rolling temp increase for some time. The 4 pillars agreement does state this though -crimson king wrote:38 hour contracts on offer in our DO until next revision.
https://www.cwu.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... ow-res.pdf - 13. Shorter Working WeekNew full time employees from October 2018, recruited either from existing employees or new recruits in the core OPG grade, will be on a 35 hour week at the current hourly basic pay rate with pro-rata allowances aligned to the current full-time conditioned hours.
But, If they have them advertised then they must be there. Il assume the 35 hours part gives RM no obligation to offer anything higher and be able to call it Full time.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Continuous overtime
From the Four Pillars 'Deal of the Century':Barton0502 wrote:So there isn’t really any way of getting a better contract?
We will honour our agreements regarding part-time colleagues:
» Part-time colleagues’ contracted hours will be
jointly reviewed every March and September.
Where appropriate, increased contracted hours
will be offered to reflect the hours actually
worked and planned.
Which has been in several agreements before...........
-
Wednesday
- Posts: 143
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 16:40
- Gender: Male
Continuous overtime
I was always hopeful I would get made up to full time when I read the "I have done full time hours for twelve weeks"posts,but if you read up on it ,it is only when it is compulsory overtime.You can say no to any overtime so it does not stand up in law.On the plus side we had a revision and the union rep sorted some part timers to get made up,so don't give up hope. 
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Continuous overtime
you have just said your happy doing this ? you do 45 hours a week so you do 20 hours overtime why you moaning for then some posties don't get overtime ie cant drive to do collections etc we have a few part timers in our place get more then the full timers 2.40 coming in early and does a 3 hour driving shout in the afternoon am full time by the wayBarton0502 wrote:Hi everyone. I started at RM around 6 months ago. Firstly I am only on a 25 hour contract (although I do around 45 hours every week) which is what I want, I am happy doing this. I just wondered if there is anyway I can get my contract increased at all? Ideally I would obviously prefer a full time contract but understand these are very rare these days! But anything would be an improvement, what is the highest possible contract I could get to?
Secondly I remember being told something about if you work 12 continuous weeks over your contracted hours with no gaps, by law, your contract has to be increased. Is this correct? Or does anyone know of a similar law? I may have it wrong. Any help on how I could get my contract upgraded would be appreciated.
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
Ren Hoëk
- Posts: 737
- Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
- Gender: Male
Continuous overtime
I imagine they are "moaning" because if they are sick or on annual leave then they will only get paid the contracted hours. If the reason someone cant do OT is because they cant drive that is a choice they have made and continue to make. They could invest in themselves and learn to drive just like the people who can drive did. Cant do OT because of family commitments? Another choice.maisymoo04 wrote:you have just said your happy doing this ? you do 45 hours a week so you do 20 hours overtime why you moaning for then some posties don't get overtime ie cant drive to do collections etc we have a few part timers in our place get more then the full timers 2.40 coming in early and does a 3 hour driving shout in the afternoon am full time by the wayBarton0502 wrote:Hi everyone. I started at RM around 6 months ago. Firstly I am only on a 25 hour contract (although I do around 45 hours every week) which is what I want, I am happy doing this. I just wondered if there is anyway I can get my contract increased at all? Ideally I would obviously prefer a full time contract but understand these are very rare these days! But anything would be an improvement, what is the highest possible contract I could get to?
Secondly I remember being told something about if you work 12 continuous weeks over your contracted hours with no gaps, by law, your contract has to be increased. Is this correct? Or does anyone know of a similar law? I may have it wrong. Any help on how I could get my contract upgraded would be appreciated.
I know I for one would not be happy to give up my FT contract even if they promised me the OT would be there. I suspect neither would you or anybody else.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3221
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Continuous overtime
And what about those who do not get asked to do OT?Ren Hoëk wrote:I imagine they are "moaning" because if they are sick or on annual leave then they will only get paid the contracted hours. If the reason someone cant do OT is because they cant drive that is a choice they have made and continue to make. They could invest in themselves and learn to drive just like the people who can drive did. Cant do OT because of family commitments? Another choice.maisymoo04 wrote:you have just said your happy doing this ? you do 45 hours a week so you do 20 hours overtime why you moaning for then some posties don't get overtime ie cant drive to do collections etc we have a few part timers in our place get more then the full timers 2.40 coming in early and does a 3 hour driving shout in the afternoon am full time by the wayBarton0502 wrote:Hi everyone. I started at RM around 6 months ago. Firstly I am only on a 25 hour contract (although I do around 45 hours every week) which is what I want, I am happy doing this. I just wondered if there is anyway I can get my contract increased at all? Ideally I would obviously prefer a full time contract but understand these are very rare these days! But anything would be an improvement, what is the highest possible contract I could get to?
Secondly I remember being told something about if you work 12 continuous weeks over your contracted hours with no gaps, by law, your contract has to be increased. Is this correct? Or does anyone know of a similar law? I may have it wrong. Any help on how I could get my contract upgraded would be appreciated.
I know I for one would not be happy to give up my FT contract even if they promised me the OT would be there. I suspect neither would you or anybody else.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Continuous overtime
as I mentioned some posties don't do it
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Continuous overtime
no part time what is the rate on overtime up to 38 hours and after that is when it changes ?? say someone on 25 hours
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"