ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Some questions

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dreamflyer
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Mar 2019, 23:56
Gender: Male

Some questions

Post by dreamflyer »

Hi I have my induction coming up very soon for postman with driving, I have a few questions.

Firstly, what can I expect to do on my induction? Will there be any tests? Watching videos?
Also, when can I expect to receive my uniform? If I don't get it at the induction what should I turn up to work wearing?
Can I claim travel expenses for my journey to the induction? As I have to travel quite a long distance and it is far from my delivery office. And if I can how do I claim for it?
What can I expect on my first work day?
Can I refuse to work more hours and only work the hours which was stated on my job offer (8am-2pm)?
Finally, I contacted HR recently and they said my contracted hours were 7.50am to 2 or 2.20pm? I'm absolutely certain my hours are 8am-2pm. Even my first day start time is 8am. So I'm not sure why they are saying 7.50am and finishing at 2 or 2.20pm?

Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Westhamguy
Posts: 6
Joined: 18 Jan 2019, 21:28
Gender: Male

Some questions

Post by Westhamguy »

No tests at induction, you will have to order uniform online or by calling the helpline. You will need your payroll number though
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Some questions

Post by wacko74 »

As far as only working your hours (whatever they may be)... Yes you're perfectly entitled to only work your hours and refuse to do any overtime, but if that involves you ''cutting off'' and leaving mail in every day then the harsh reality is don't expect to be kept on beyond your trial period.
Chupacabra74
Posts: 52
Joined: 08 Jul 2017, 17:15
Gender: Male

Some questions

Post by Chupacabra74 »

Moaning before you’ve started.... you’ll fit right in ffs
misstmac
Posts: 86
Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
Gender: Female

Some questions

Post by misstmac »

Induction - Presentation, lots of videos, some interactive working, visit from CWU.

Uniform - If you have not received your contract by then (mine came three weeks after starting) your induction presenter will give you your payroll number. In your official offer email you will have received a uniform form. Call the number stated on that and order your uniform. It takes approx 3-4 days to be delivered to your depot. Until it arrives you will need to wear your own clothes. Shoes with good grip, t shirt, trousers (utility or cargo style not jeans), waterproof coat.

Your hours of work are set by your DO. My role was advertised as 9-2 by recruitment however it actually works out as varying day to day from 8.15 to 8.45 start time. Turn up on your first day as informed by the recruitment team.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Some questions

Post by rubberbond »

wacko74 wrote:As far as only working your hours (whatever they may be)... Yes you're perfectly entitled to only work your hours and refuse to do any overtime, but if that involves you ''cutting off'' and leaving mail in every day then the harsh reality is don't expect to be kept on beyond your trial period.
So what you're effectively saying to this correspondent is that in order to get a permanent contract you have to work overtime, I thought overtime was voluntary, as many people state on this forum, work your hours, unless you are telling us that overtime is now compulsory and therefore contracted, so how can it affect their chances of a permanent contract if they don't wish to do overtime? I'd like to see that argued at tribunal.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Some questions

Post by Jahpostie »

rubberbond wrote:
wacko74 wrote:As far as only working your hours (whatever they may be)... Yes you're perfectly entitled to only work your hours and refuse to do any overtime, but if that involves you ''cutting off'' and leaving mail in every day then the harsh reality is don't expect to be kept on beyond your trial period.
So what you're effectively saying to this correspondent is that in order to get a permanent contract you have to work overtime, I thought overtime was voluntary, as many people state on this forum, work your hours, unless you are telling us that overtime is now compulsory and therefore contracted, so how can it affect their chances of a permanent contract if they don't wish to do overtime? I'd like to see that argued at tribunal.
It's not compulsory however in practice you're expected to deliver all the mail regardless of when you want to finish. In effect you have to go through a load of grief if you want to leave any mail to get a finish on your finish time. If you want to finish regularly on time then in my limited experience you'll either have to come in earlier before (unpaid) your start time or you'll just end up frustrated and decide the grief is not for you. You may be luckily paired with a full timer who has it all prepared for you or a part time mug who comes in early and gets it all prepared for free. There appears to be plenty of these in my DO.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

Some questions

Post by Ren Hoëk »

Jahpostie wrote:
rubberbond wrote:
wacko74 wrote:As far as only working your hours (whatever they may be)... Yes you're perfectly entitled to only work your hours and refuse to do any overtime, but if that involves you ''cutting off'' and leaving mail in every day then the harsh reality is don't expect to be kept on beyond your trial period.
So what you're effectively saying to this correspondent is that in order to get a permanent contract you have to work overtime, I thought overtime was voluntary, as many people state on this forum, work your hours, unless you are telling us that overtime is now compulsory and therefore contracted, so how can it affect their chances of a permanent contract if they don't wish to do overtime? I'd like to see that argued at tribunal.
It's not compulsory however in practice you're expected to deliver all the mail regardless of when you want to finish. In effect you have to go through a load of grief if you want to leave any mail to get a finish on your finish time. If you want to finish regularly on time then in my limited experience you'll either have to come in earlier before (unpaid) your start time or you'll just end up frustrated and decide the grief is not for you. You may be luckily paired with a full timer who has it all prepared for you or a part time mug who comes in early and gets it all prepared for free. There appears to be plenty of these in my DO.
FFS. This guy has not even set foot in his office and he's already having pressure placed on him to do overtime/start early and from one of our own as well.

Il say this. Welcome to the firm my friend. Your boss will most likely attempt to pressure you into going over your time to complete. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO! Walk into your office and be friendly, Develop a sense of humour, Grow and thick skin, Enjoy the banter, Do a solid days work and you will enjoy yourself. It can be the best and worst job in the world. Enquire as to whom your union rep is and introduce yourself.

If your boss asks you to go over your time and you do not want to just simply reply "sorry mate, Iv got to be somewhere". You DO NOT need to explain yourself beyond this. I mean, you don't even need to say that. You could just say no. If you feel like you wont be able to complete DO say so though. If you are out on delivery and you think you will not complete then DO ring the office and tell them.

You have a paid lunch break. TAKE IT. Do not feel pressured by your boss or partner to work through it.

Do not feel pressured to run/rush around. That is how accidents happen and they are certainly not worth it. You are covered by the safe systems or work which will be covered in your training. If it's not, come back to this forum and I will happily link it to you. It will include things about using light weight trolleys, how heavy your bags should be, cutting corners and all manner of health and safety which is there to protect you.

If your boss sends you out to another office DO NOT take your own car. There is a high likelihood your private car insurance does not cover that kind of travel. If you do, claim the milage. You are entitled to start from your home office and finish at your home office as per your finish time. For example. If you are asked to go to an office 10 miles away and your normal start time is 06:00 then Your work day and travel to the other office starts at 06:00. After all, you will need to go to your home DO to collect a van or be dropped there. The same for your finish time. If your usual finish time is 14:00 then you are entitled to be back from the other office by 14:00. That means allocating travel time back or have a lift arranged back within your work time NOT at 14:00.

As per your start and finish times. Iv found it depends on your office. They all tend to be a little different as it all depends what time the mail reaches it in the morning. It will roughly be what was advertised though. It will pay to be a little flexible as there will be days (although few and far between these days) where you will finish up early and get to go home.

I know it all seems a bit daunting but it's all stuff I wish I had been told from day one. It took me ages to find out what my rights were when it came to the above. Do not feel threatened about not being kept on beyond your trial period if you do not want to do OT, Carry on over your time or work within your rights as set out above. It would be unfair dismissal if your DOM used any of the above against you. You would be within your rights to demand a solid reason as to why your contract was not being carried forward at the end of your trial. It is also very unlikely. Iv never seen anyone not be kept on beyond the trial and iv seen some useless people come through.
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Some questions

Post by woody38 »

Why do u thing there is always vacancies because people do not stick it, we are not trying to but u of but telling u the truth about the job, u might get lucky work in a nice office with good staff, good workload balance, good managers, In reality a lot of offices are not like this if u can get a job on your own where u work at your own pace then Brilliant u will get quicker & love the job, RM had this idea that u work in pairs and cover 2 jobs, you deliver letters and parcels parking up and each doing a loop then moving the van. like many have said on here your start time is 8.00am but when u get there the job might not be ready it should be, but most offices haven’t got the staff to fully get the jobs done, so u could spend at least an hour getting the job ready, Go into the job positive on your first day but be awear here are a lot of missable people in these depots who will not help u, I was amazed when I started never meet so many missable people, but if u can get through the first few weeks it does get easier.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Some questions

Post by Jahpostie »

Ren Hoëk wrote:
FFS. This guy has not even set foot in his office and he's already having pressure placed on him to do overtime/start early and from one of our own as well.
I'm not placing pressure on anyone. I'm highlighting the likely reality as experienced in my first few weeks.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

Some questions

Post by Ren Hoëk »

Jahpostie wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:
FFS. This guy has not even set foot in his office and he's already having pressure placed on him to do overtime/start early and from one of our own as well.
I'm not placing pressure on anyone. I'm highlighting the likely reality as experienced in my first few weeks.
Not so much getting at what you have said although your comments are your own experience and based on your unwillingness/inability to stand up for your rights.I suggest you speak to your union guy if you are being bullied and pressured into doing those things. You do not have to do any of the things you have said. Yes, there will be grief but if you stick to your guns for even a short period of time then your DOM will soon get the hint.

I was more aiming my comment at the fella who told him he was unlikely to have his contract after the trial period. Utter nonsense.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Some questions

Post by Jahpostie »

Ren Hoëk wrote: Not so much getting at what you have said although your comments are your own experience and based on your unwillingness/inability to stand up for your rights.
Interesting how people translate things! Re-read my post - there is no indication of my unwillingness/inability to stand up for my rights. All I'm saying is there is an expectation to deliver all the mail and if you want to leave some then there will be grief. If you have to daily leave mail and confront the DOM then some people will get sick of this. I'm sick already of trying to locate / fill in the OT sheet - strategically placed everywhere!
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Some questions

Post by SpacePhoenix »

rubberbond wrote:
wacko74 wrote:As far as only working your hours (whatever they may be)... Yes you're perfectly entitled to only work your hours and refuse to do any overtime, but if that involves you ''cutting off'' and leaving mail in every day then the harsh reality is don't expect to be kept on beyond your trial period.
So what you're effectively saying to this correspondent is that in order to get a permanent contract you have to work overtime, I thought overtime was voluntary, as many people state on this forum, work your hours, unless you are telling us that overtime is now compulsory and therefore contracted, so how can it affect their chances of a permanent contract if they don't wish to do overtime? I'd like to see that argued at tribunal.
If the DOM is getting stuff covered on OT all the time, what incentive do they have to make any part timers up to full time?
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

Some questions

Post by Ren Hoëk »

Jahpostie wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote: Not so much getting at what you have said although your comments are your own experience and based on your unwillingness/inability to stand up for your rights.
Interesting how people translate things! Re-read my post - there is no indication of my unwillingness/inability to stand up for my rights. All I'm saying is there is an expectation to deliver all the mail and if you want to leave some then there will be grief. If you have to daily leave mail and confront the DOM then some people will get sick of this. I'm sick already of trying to locate / fill in the OT sheet - strategically placed everywhere!
I'm highlighting the likely reality as experienced in my first few weeks.
dreamflyer
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Mar 2019, 23:56
Gender: Male

Some questions

Post by dreamflyer »

Thanks for your advice guys. I'm happy to do overtime when needed but I don't want to be relied upon all the time and I know there will be times where I'd like to have time outside of work and finish on my contracted hours. The overtime factor is important to me as my contract is officially 27 hours, I'm working 5 days a week 8am-2pm. At interview I was told I'd be working minimum 30 hours a week- which makes sense as it would be 6 hours a day per week. So no matter what- I'll be doing at least 3 hours of overtime a week to push up my hours from 27 to 30. Wouldn't it have been easier to just give me a 30 hour contract?