ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Delivering to flats
-
misstmac
- Posts: 86
- Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
- Gender: Female
Delivering to flats
Have been given conflicting advice regarding delivering mail to flats. One person has told me that you deliver to each individual property regardless, another has told me that if the block has a post box on the main entrance that you can post through that (something to do with first point of delivery?).
Just wanting to know what the ‘official’ line is.
Thanks in advance
Just wanting to know what the ‘official’ line is.
Thanks in advance
-
leolion855
- Posts: 641
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Delivering to flats
Can you get access to all the flats?
-
misstmac
- Posts: 86
- Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
- Gender: Female
Delivering to flats
Not a round I’ve done yet so not sure as of yet. Just want to make sure I’m not following the wrong advice by either making the job longer than it need to be or cutting corners and ending up with a complaint from a customer. Just want to be armed with the FACTS and not just someone’s opinion
-
1617mel
- Posts: 172
- Joined: 11 Oct 2017, 15:13
- Gender: Male
Delivering to flats
normal procedure is deliver to all points ie each letter box, to maintain the security of the mail, heard the stories about the mail going through the first point of delivery
then someone has come along and opened other peoples mail, causing a complaint to RM. then the procedure of delivering to all points of delivery applies,to maintain the security of peoples mail.unfortunately more time is taken, but the new conditions about finish on your time and no earlier, all these details help ie endorsing mail [no entry with the date] especially to flats with a secure entry system all helps to ensure that the job is done to time. hope this helps
then someone has come along and opened other peoples mail, causing a complaint to RM. then the procedure of delivering to all points of delivery applies,to maintain the security of peoples mail.unfortunately more time is taken, but the new conditions about finish on your time and no earlier, all these details help ie endorsing mail [no entry with the date] especially to flats with a secure entry system all helps to ensure that the job is done to time. hope this helps
-
misstmac
- Posts: 86
- Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
- Gender: Female
Delivering to flats
Thanks, that’s makes absolute sense 1617mel 
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Delivering to flats
If there's a letterbox on the main door do you then open main door and check individual flats for letterboxes 
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Delivering to flats
You need to ask the 'regular postie' or your DOM as this can vary from place to place. I think in most cases there will be individual postboxes either at each door or in a block of pigeonholes. Some residential complexes with wardens will have one delivery point but the majority have individual letterboxes on each door.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Hadabellyfull
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 07 Mar 2019, 20:48
- Gender: Male
Delivering to flats
First point of delivery is fine.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Delivering to flats
Basically do they have letter boxes on doors or in the lobby?misstmac wrote:Have been given conflicting advice regarding delivering mail to flats. One person has told me that you deliver to each individual property regardless, another has told me that if the block has a post box on the main entrance that you can post through that (something to do with first point of delivery?).
Just wanting to know what the ‘official’ line is.
Thanks in advance
-
misstmac
- Posts: 86
- Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
- Gender: Female
Delivering to flats
There is a letterbox on the main door to enter the flats, then each individual flat has its own letterbox too
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Delivering to flats
You can't just shove up to hundred flats mail through one letter boxmisstmac wrote:There is a letterbox on the main door to enter the flats, then each individual flat has its own letterbox too
-
misstmac
- Posts: 86
- Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
- Gender: Female
Delivering to flats
Should have pointed out that these are small blocks, between 4 - 8 properties in each.
I have no problem doing it either way, I just want to do it the RIGHT way. No one seems to be able to give me a definitive answer in my DO. Some saying you deliver to the first letterbox, others saying it must be to the individual property. Think I will stick with my original thought of each individual property unless I’m told otherwise by the DOM. Would rather have an ear bashing for being ‘too slow’ than one for a customer complaint.
Thanks for all the advice
I have no problem doing it either way, I just want to do it the RIGHT way. No one seems to be able to give me a definitive answer in my DO. Some saying you deliver to the first letterbox, others saying it must be to the individual property. Think I will stick with my original thought of each individual property unless I’m told otherwise by the DOM. Would rather have an ear bashing for being ‘too slow’ than one for a customer complaint.
Thanks for all the advice
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Delivering to flats
Either way do you think it's acceptable shoving four flats mail through one letter box ?misstmac wrote:Should have pointed out that these are small blocks, between 4 - 8 properties in each.
I have no problem doing it either way, I just want to do it the RIGHT way. No one seems to be able to give me a definitive answer in my DO. Some saying you deliver to the first letterbox, others saying it must be to the individual property. Think I will stick with my original thought of each individual property unless I’m told otherwise by the DOM. Would rather have an ear bashing for being ‘too slow’ than one for a customer complaint.
Thanks for all the advice
-
misstmac
- Posts: 86
- Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 09:40
- Gender: Female
Delivering to flats
I am new to the role and have been told by different colleagues, who have all been doing the job for years, conflicting advice. I simply came here to ask what the correct, OFFICIAL procedure is.
My only experience of delivery to flats has been a small block on my round who only have a communal letterbox not individual ones to each property.
Not sure why you feel the need to try and belittle me arnold cheshire. Either way I will so as I stated in my previous post
My only experience of delivery to flats has been a small block on my round who only have a communal letterbox not individual ones to each property.
Not sure why you feel the need to try and belittle me arnold cheshire. Either way I will so as I stated in my previous post
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Delivering to flats
misstmac - best way I resolve these situations for myself is - 'If my new bank card it's associated PIN were due through the post (different letters but often receivedmisstmac wrote:I am new to the role and have been told by different colleagues, who have all been doing the job for years, conflicting advice. I simply came here to ask what the correct, OFFICIAL procedure is.
My only experience of delivery to flats has been a small block on my round who only have a communal letterbox not individual ones to each property.
Not sure why you feel the need to try and belittle me arnold cheshire. Either way I will so as I stated in my previous post
for delivery on the same day!), how would I prefer them to be delivered.....?'