ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Additional employment

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
poolcued
Posts: 42
Joined: 02 Oct 2016, 17:06
Gender: Male

Additional employment

Post by poolcued »

Considering part-time evening work to improve the bank balance.

I note that under my Terms and Conditions, it states 'You must not engage in any other employment such that you would be unable to meet your contractual obligations to Royal Mail. Further, any additional hours of work you may perform for another employer aggregated with those that you perform under this contract must not exceed the limits that apply under the Working Time Regulations 1998 or any agreements that relate to working time. You must not be involved in or have an interest in the activities of any organisation whose business is in competition with that of Royal Mail or any of its business untis or subsidiaries and must advise Royal Mail of any other employment which you hold or intend to take.'

Some questions. I signed a form waiving the 48 hour weekly working hours cap not long after starting with Royal Mail. Does this mean my aggregate hours can exceed the cap? Is it only competing parcel delivery services I'm precluded from working for? Could I deliver clothing between retail stores or online food deliveries for example? Who do I inform of my intentions - my immediate manager/DOM or HR?

Many thanks.
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Additional employment

Post by doorstepped »

Yes
yes
yes

you don't really need to inform anyone unless your driving hours will exceed a certain amount or you want to work for a Competitor.
Biker Mouse
Posts: 543
Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 18:37
Gender: Male

Additional employment

Post by Biker Mouse »

Don’t you also need to have at least 11 hours between the end of your 2nd job and the start of your RM shift?
barcajr
Posts: 168
Joined: 12 Oct 2009, 01:04
Gender: Male

Additional employment

Post by barcajr »

It's only a problem if you're working for a competitor or the job causes you to exceed your driving hours
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Additional employment

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

Biker Mouse wrote:Don’t you also need to have at least 11 hours between the end of your 2nd job and the start of your RM shift?
I'm in the same situation as poolcued where I need to add to my part-time salary, but I've not heard or read anything about an eleven-hour gap between Royal Mail's work hours and that of a second job's.

I've been hunting for a second part-time job lately, but many of them have start times that clash with my expected Royal Mail delivery finish time. It might come to the point where I'll have to quit Royal Mail. And overtime hours aren't reliable. :sad:
Last edited by PostmanBitesDog on 12 Mar 2019, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Additional employment

Post by aiden01 »

PostmanBitesDog wrote:
Biker Mouse wrote:Don’t you also need to have at least 11 hours between the end of your 2nd job and the start of your RM shift?
I'm in the same situation as poolcued where I need to add to my part-time salary, but I've not heard or read anything about an eleven-hour gap between Royal Mail's work hours that of a second job's.

I've been hunting for a second part-time job lately, but many of them have start times that clash with my expected Royal Mail delivery finish time. It might come to the point where I'll have to quit Royal Mail. And overtime hours aren't reliable. :sad:
The choice is your's. what job is more secure rm or other pt job..
abuch1980
Posts: 226
Joined: 13 Dec 2011, 12:30
Gender: Male

Additional employment

Post by abuch1980 »

PostmanBitesDog wrote:
Biker Mouse wrote:Don’t you also need to have at least 11 hours between the end of your 2nd job and the start of your RM shift?
I'm in the same situation as poolcued where I need to add to my part-time salary, but I've not heard or read anything about an eleven-hour gap between Royal Mail's work hours that of a second job's.

I've been hunting for a second part-time job lately, but many of them have start times that clash with my expected Royal Mail delivery finish time. It might come to the point where I'll have to quit Royal Mail. And overtime hours aren't reliable. :sad:
That's the sad problem with the new RM part time contracts when no overtime is reliable then what are people suppose to do !? End up losing good workers to lazy full timers !
poolcued
Posts: 42
Joined: 02 Oct 2016, 17:06
Gender: Male

Additional employment

Post by poolcued »

Cheers all. You would think available over-time would be offered to part-time staff first. :hmmmm
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Additional employment

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

aiden01 wrote:
PostmanBitesDog wrote:
Biker Mouse wrote:Don’t you also need to have at least 11 hours between the end of your 2nd job and the start of your RM shift?
I'm in the same situation as poolcued where I need to add to my part-time salary, but I've not heard or read anything about an eleven-hour gap between Royal Mail's work hours that of a second job's.

I've been hunting for a second part-time job lately, but many of them have start times that clash with my expected Royal Mail delivery finish time. It might come to the point where I'll have to quit Royal Mail. And overtime hours aren't reliable. :sad:
The choice is your's. what job is more secure rm or other pt job..
aiden01, I think you mean, "What job is more secure? Royal Mail's or another full-time job?" :wink:
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Additional employment

Post by postmanzach »

I was desperate for cash couple of years ago and started working for dominoes delivering in the evening. I let my DOM know he seemed ok with it. Would usually work 5-9pm for dominoes and bring in an extra £500 a month.