ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Doubts In My Head

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Doubts In My Head

Post by crimson king »

One thing I really love about this forum is that you discover that you are not alone in the way you feel.

Recent threads like Anxious and Crying show that there are a lot of us out there struggling on a daily basis. I've worked for over thirty years, for several employers and have never known anything like it sometimes.

Anyway, some of you know that I like to while away the odd twenty minutes here and there waiting for my start time by sitting in my car and writing bad poetry. This is something I wrote a few weeks back and I thought I'd share it. If you like it or something resonates or even, hopefully, helps a little, then cool. If you think it's s**t or on a par with the writing skills of a five year old then that's cool too, but please try to refrain from telling me to man up, stop being dramatic or go find another job if I hate this one so much. Not because I'm so fragile that I can't take criticism, I'm just saving you the effort as my line manager will probably do all that tomorrow :thumbup

Anyway, here it is if you're interested:

Doubts In My Head

He never says hello or asks how I might be,
But he always checks his watch, though I’m never late,
You’re on such and such today, goes back to ignoring me,
It’s this morning ritual that I’ve come to dread and hate.

I find the impatient stranger amongst the silent frames,
No hellos; ever done this one? They sigh,
No, sorry; feeling small beneath the hollow street names,
That’s all I need, they growl, their anger wearing no disguise.

I clear my throat, hoping not to simper, cry or quake,
How’s it looking? You see, today I gotta work to time,
Side by side with lino, asking why I have to take my breaks,
I stand firm, defend myself, as if guilty of some heinous crime.

Shared time in the van is a silent, toxic blur,
But walking the streets helps to keep me sane,
Against those that bully, hate, and treat me as cur,
We can’t complete, never could, but guess who’s the one to blame?

Home at last, amongst those I love and cherish,
Unconditional from kids and wife, a blessed sanctuary,
I hide it all, best I can, bottle it inside and wish,
To stop worrying ‘bout tomorrow and what they’ll do to me.

I’m just sat looking at my phone,
The smile is just a mask for my dread,
I feel so, so alone,
It’s just me and the gnawing doubts inside my head.

Another day, no hellos, check of the watch, it’s all the bloody same,
On your own today, a ton of mail plus a dodgy map,
You’ll complete, he says, no excuses, none of your feckless games,
Off into more unknown, inner turmoil, soul wading through the crap.

Feels like I’m drowning; I’m lost and so confused,
Where is 12a, where’s three’s letterbox, does this house even have a door?
Getting nowhere, laden with mail, despair, a heavy dose of the blues,
Try to keep fighting, so anxious, soul dropping through the floor.

Home sweet home, but I’m feeling sick, irritable and terse,
Kids and wife grate, dinner bland, the television a blank,
I can feel I’m sinking, everything getting dark like I’m carrying a curse,
Can’t block it out, make it stop; maybe some booze, maybe a trank?

I’m just sat looking at my phone,
The smile is just a mask for my dread,
I feel so, so alone,
It’s just me and the gnawing doubts inside my head.

Can’t face another day; churning, cold, I feel so bad and ill,
Phone in hand, no fight in t’other, an unbalanced scale,
They’ve ground it all down, the joy, morale and goodwill,
Why must they make me feel like this, a useless man who always fails?

Am I alone in this suffering, how many of us are there?
Walking through concrete, longing just to sleep, seek refuge in our beds,
How do they get away with it, it just doesn’t seem right nor fair,
Poison culture, filling our souls with darkness and lead.

I’m standing at the abyss, atop crumbling sands,
I must dig in, find my way back, not fold and sob in my bed,
The future seems bleak, yet it’s cradled in my trembling hands,
I must fight and vanquish those gnawing doubts in my head.
Last edited by crimson king on 10 Mar 2019, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Doubts In My Head

Post by postslippete »

Quite a thoughtful poem and quite accurate in many ways. I like the way you describe the poison culture,filling our souls with darkness and lead. it's all about managers getting all the walks delivered regardless, it's about being forced to work in pairs which often creates tensions, it's about being treated as a number instead of being treated as a person.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
hero22
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Doubts In My Head

Post by hero22 »

This is the best thing I have read on this forum but also one of the saddest. It really does acknowledge all the feelings you get in this job. Many I think have just trained ourselves to become accustomed to the bullying and harassment that seems to be part of our working day and just blank it out but it must be having an effect deep down and for others they just cant blank it out as easily. Reading that has definitely made me feel a lot better knowing others are thinking the same things as I do and its not just me who worries about getting put on a duty with no training or the dread of confrontation when u have the audacity to ask if you can finish on your time today.

Thank you Crimson
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

Doubts In My Head

Post by Yamr1 »

So crap now getting treated like a number.
All for a managers greed for a bonus and to brag on a conference call about the dutys they lapsed.
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

Doubts In My Head

Post by Yamr1 »

The mangers don't give a s**t about the postman.
Out in the snow rain ice giving a 100% every day.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Doubts In My Head

Post by Jpro747 »

Send it into the Courier. Maybe the staff there have had enough of RM bullshit as well. :cuppa
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Doubts In My Head

Post by Brandy »

What a poem,powerful stuff. A once great job,destroyed by sheer greed. :sad:
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Doubts In My Head

Post by crimson king »

Thanks, guys.

I just had to edit it though ...the wife, rather embarrassingly, just pointed out the kids and her love for me is unconditional, as against unrequited, which I had originally put.

Whoops! :d'oh!
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Doubts In My Head

Post by arnold cheshire »

All Dom's can go to xxx
barcajr
Posts: 168
Joined: 12 Oct 2009, 01:04
Gender: Male

Doubts In My Head

Post by barcajr »

I must be the only one on this site who in my twenty eight years with Royal Mail, never been bullied
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Doubts In My Head

Post by Brandy »

barcajr wrote:I must be the only one on this site who in my twenty eight years with Royal Mail, never been bullied
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Doubts In My Head

Post by arnold cheshire »

Bullying is still rife
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

Doubts In My Head

Post by Yamr1 »

Barcjar you must have a Manager with people skills and knows how to treat his staff and doesn't abuse his powers
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

Doubts In My Head

Post by Yamr1 »

RESPECT to your manager

Royalmail needs more like yours
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

Doubts In My Head

Post by Yamr1 »

Arnold
So rife it's sickening