ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Anxiety

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Sledge4211
Posts: 68
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
Gender: Male

Anxiety

Post by Sledge4211 »

As a part timer I suffer from really bad anxiety, I come into work in the morning and have a sense of overwhelming feeling that sometimes is too much for me. I get put on different walks all the time and it doesn’t help when I don’t know the route or I’ve never done the duty before. I have been with the Royal Mail a long time. Royal Mail are supposedly taking Mental Health issues quite seriously but I just don’t see the backing in the actual workplace and it isn’t reiterated enough with colleagues. With all the bullying and harassment we get throughout the country in different DO, isn’t it about damn time something is done about it? We sometimes deliver NHS mental health D2D’s but why can’t the Royal Mail have a person or a room where we can come to work to talk about any issues we have. I know we have union reps and colleagues to assist but sometimes reaching out to them doesn’t always make you feel comfortable to talk about problems within the workplace. I’m sick of having these “on the edge” feelings each day I come into work. I’ve had CBT & been to doctors but I don’t want to leave my job because of my mental health problems. Who else can relate?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Anxiety

Post by arnold cheshire »

Yes I can relate
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Anxiety

Post by fb1969 »

I can relate to a lot of that. Been through similar with RM and still feel the edge of it on a regular basis. Everyone is different and those that don't get these feelings can never understand what it is like.
Last edited by fb1969 on 06 Mar 2019, 19:29, edited 2 times in total.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Chupacabra74
Posts: 52
Joined: 08 Jul 2017, 17:15
Gender: Male

Anxiety

Post by Chupacabra74 »

Get in touch with the company doctor. He WILL help. All the best pal.
Sledge4211
Posts: 68
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
Gender: Male

Anxiety

Post by Sledge4211 »

Thanks guys! Nice to know I’m not the only one in the same boat !
Sledge4211
Posts: 68
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
Gender: Male

Anxiety

Post by Sledge4211 »

Danielson1974 wrote:Get in touch with the company doctor. He WILL help. All the best pal.
Is there an email address or contact number at all?
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Anxiety

Post by Sir Henry »

RM wont give a flying f**k until it affects your attendance. Get your rep onto it, or if you have a good relationship with any of the management go to them. It's a medical matter and so should be kept private. You COULD go see the doc and get signed off and only return with a fit note outlining some reasonable course of action and changes from the management to enable you to get back to work.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Anxiety

Post by Jpro747 »

I can relate, feel anxious in the office especially around some of my colleagues. I wouldn’t be surprised if a hell of a lot of people in this job have mental health problems. A lot of the time you are on your own and spend too much time caught up in your own thoughts. And with the added pressures of the job it can trigger some negative thinking.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Anxiety

Post by arnold cheshire »

It's all down to massive walks and most days they don't inform us till last minute if we are lapsing . Bullying Dom's expecting you stay out . 7 lots of d2d etc
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Anxiety

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I can also relate. Just been off with stress not too long ago (mixture of work and home life got too much). Can't believe I am going to say this but work have been excellent. I have been bringing back loops everyday and they have not moaned once. But still even without any pressure of the management, I still get bad anxiety some days. I am currently going through treatment for it, try speaking to your management and your doctor. Hope you feel better soon.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Anxiety

Post by Seymour Buts »

25% of people suffer similar problems; you're certainly not alone. I too have been diagnosed with anxiety, I've tried different treatments but the best thing for me was simple changes to my lifestyle. I changed my diet and cut down on the drinking, trying to look after yourself more generally means you'll be in better shape to battle your anxiety. I still suffer, as I've long accepted I always will. I use it to my advantage; I'm more thorough than most simply because people with anxiety overthink everything. As a result I make less mistakes at work. I also always think: "What's the worst that's going to happen?"

Your condition is nothing to do with Royal Mail in truth (possibly not what you want to hear) it's just who you are. Quit if you wish, but you'll feel exactly the same way in any other job. Always remember there's millions like it and it's totally normal. Good luck my friend.
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

Anxiety

Post by Ren Hoëk »

I can totally relate. That feeling of not knowing what you will be doing from day to day to then get dumped on a duty you have no idea about. It's like starting at a new job without the support. Especially if you are being sent out of your home office. Then to top it off you have a manager that has zero respect for you and that if you aren't going above and beyond then you aren't working hard enough.

My DOM has absolutely no interpersonal skills, No respect for anyone, Is rude, Ignorant, condescending and no appreciation for how hard people work for him. He thinks that he can pressure and bully his way to an empty office as if nobody has anywhere better to be AKA a life past finish time. I think he thinks we are all lazy. I have worked in a few places with a quite a few lazy people and I can honestly say I have NEVER met a lazy postman/woman. The man is totally wasted at RM and should be employed by the NHS as he has this magical skill of being able to tell if you are sick by the sound of your voice over the phone and has the same level of compassion as a GP's receptionist. Quote extraordinary really. Needless to say he commands zero respect from anybody at our place and I'm pretty sure everyone has had a blazing row with him over his attitude, sly comments and bullying. Deep down I pity him as it must be incredibly lonely to turn up to a job where you know everybody hates your guts. All because he doesn't have the courage to stand up to his bosses and tell them it's too much and god forbid his precious f***ing bonus is effected.

RM really do know how to pick em. Bunch of CUNTStables.
Last edited by Ren Hoëk on 06 Mar 2019, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Anxiety

Post by doorstepped »

https://www.feelingfirstclass.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

0800 6888777
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Anxiety

Post by doorstepped »

Sledge4211 wrote:
Danielson1974 wrote:Get in touch with the company doctor. He WILL help. All the best pal.
Is there an email address or contact number at all?
https://www.feelingfirstclass.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

0800 6888777
Sledge4211
Posts: 68
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
Gender: Male

Anxiety

Post by Sledge4211 »

doorstepped wrote:
Sledge4211 wrote:
Danielson1974 wrote:Get in touch with the company doctor. He WILL help. All the best pal.
Is there an email address or contact number at all?
https://www.feelingfirstclass.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

0800 6888777
Cheers mate will give them a call!