ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA problem today

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
villan
Posts: 79
Joined: 15 Oct 2011, 17:27
Gender: Male

PDA problem today

Post by villan »

A lot of PDAs at our office were up the spout today. You couldn't log in. I tried dozens of times at various points during the delivery, including powering off and taking the battery off and putting it back on again.

Does anyone know if there was a general problem and if it's likely to persist?

I had to use the old pen and paper method. Not much fun as these days most of the scannable items don't have peelable stickers. I heard that at least one postie was simply handing specials and tracked over to the addressees without recording it either on paper or electronically.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

PDA problem today

Post by arnold cheshire »

Handing over specials and tracked,? He will be in for it tomorrow
Nickvilla20
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 May 2013, 07:30
Gender: Male

PDA problem today

Post by Nickvilla20 »

Was a National problem by the sounds of it
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

PDA problem today

Post by Cedar_Room »

It was a national problem. I went through 6 epod cards until my PDA finally connected around 13.30. Crazy to think that back in the pre- electronic days you’d only fill up two epod cards at the heaviest of times...
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

PDA problem today

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

Mine crashed twice yesterday both times when I was on someones doorstep it is very embarrassing to say the least. :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

PDA problem today

Post by wacko74 »

Yeah I heard there was a nationwide problem... ironically today was the first day since I can't remember when that my pda actually DIDN'T crash and require a reboot!
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

PDA problem today

Post by Ren Hoëk »

wacko74 wrote:Yeah I heard there was a nationwide problem... ironically today was the first day since I can't remember when that my pda actually DIDN'T crash and require a reboot!
I also though that. Then on my very last scan of the day BOOM go F yourself posty. Customers must love it when we stand outside their house for 5 mins before we decide to give em a little knock. Just to really ramp up the excitement for them.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

PDA problem today

Post by Seymour Buts »

Mine wouldn't log on, partners did but wasn't sending jobs. We had no specials luckily. I took pictures of my tracked and used my partners pda back at the van to scan my phone. I did three recordeds on the old style slips. Writing everything down would've been a total nightmare!
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

PDA problem today

Post by noggin1969 »

Same here , wouldn't log on 9.30ish so carried on in "not connected to net work" mode. Then completely crashed about 13.00 and would even accept pin code. Luckily S/D's and Tracks had been done by then and the 2D's went through the letter box unscanned. Tools for the job , my arse. :arrrghhh
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDA problem today

Post by Celgar »

Logging in of PDAs was a bit problematic on Monday & Tuesday as well so connection issues I guess.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
south London postie
Posts: 127
Joined: 14 Jan 2016, 10:54
Gender: Male

PDA problem today

Post by south London postie »

If the PDA won't scan a tracked, don't you photo the barcode and scan it back at the offfice off your phone ..
FirstPost
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
Gender: Female

PDA problem today

Post by FirstPost »

south London postie wrote:If the PDA won't scan a tracked, don't you photo the barcode and scan it back at the offfice off your phone ..
I know it might sound stupid but what if you dont have a phone? is it mandatory to have a phone whilst on duty? even a smart phone with a camera? It shouldn't be the job of the postie to take pictures on their own mobile if the system collapses!
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

PDA problem today

Post by SpacePhoenix »

FirstPost wrote:
south London postie wrote:If the PDA won't scan a tracked, don't you photo the barcode and scan it back at the offfice off your phone ..
I know it might sound stupid but what if you dont have a phone? is it mandatory to have a phone whilst on duty? even a smart phone with a camera? It shouldn't be the job of the postie to take pictures on their own mobile if the system collapses!
Could there even be a conduct code issue with someone using their own phone to photograph a barcode (data protection)?
south London postie
Posts: 127
Joined: 14 Jan 2016, 10:54
Gender: Male

PDA problem today

Post by south London postie »

As opposed to writing down the letters and numbers on a tracked? Maybe - if you capture the name and address as well. But if you only photo the barcode itself its exactly the same as writing it all down and entering it manually later.

Obv. it's a choice and people don't advertise it when it happens, but it's commonplace and some may choose to do that rather than have a palaver back at the office. Scan and delete. If you get back to the office and find it's not your pda but a wider technical problem then why even bother. Just delete.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

PDA problem today

Post by SpacePhoenix »

south London postie wrote:As opposed to writing down the letters and numbers on a tracked? Maybe - if you capture the name and address as well. But if you only photo the barcode itself its exactly the same as writing it all down and entering it manually later.
The 2D barcodes have the address as part of the barcode