ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Possible stage 3 absence
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Possible stage 3 absence
I’m currently on a stage 2, which I believe wasnt issued correctly and is currently being reviewed by the CWU area branch, but I’m possibly about to trigger a stage 3 and could do with some advice.
I suffer from an eating disorder, and was sexually assaulted a couple of months back (was issued a stage 2 for it) and had the worst day I’ve ever had as a postie today.
This morning, I wasn’t certain that I’d be able to complete the duty I was put on, went to a lino and told him I’m not 100% sure but I don’t want to go a minute over so what should I do. They told me to take our lapsing and give them a call later on. Did exactly that, but got s**t for it when I came back as it was more than they expected.
My partner, who is clearly terrified of management, was lashing out, kicking the van, slamming the doors and swearing and screaming like a child in front of our customers before speeding off nearly hitting a parked car, all because I was following the cut off procedure.
With everything that’s going on with me personally right now, eating disorder and dealing with my attacker still not being arrested, along with my partner losing our baby, I feel like I’m really struggling to cope. I’m pretty much always fine outside of work, never had any panic attacks other than actually inside the office.
My doctor has given me a sick note, but it will trigger a stage 3 and I’m cautious of how enforced the stage 3 dismissals are?
Thanks everyone.
I suffer from an eating disorder, and was sexually assaulted a couple of months back (was issued a stage 2 for it) and had the worst day I’ve ever had as a postie today.
This morning, I wasn’t certain that I’d be able to complete the duty I was put on, went to a lino and told him I’m not 100% sure but I don’t want to go a minute over so what should I do. They told me to take our lapsing and give them a call later on. Did exactly that, but got s**t for it when I came back as it was more than they expected.
My partner, who is clearly terrified of management, was lashing out, kicking the van, slamming the doors and swearing and screaming like a child in front of our customers before speeding off nearly hitting a parked car, all because I was following the cut off procedure.
With everything that’s going on with me personally right now, eating disorder and dealing with my attacker still not being arrested, along with my partner losing our baby, I feel like I’m really struggling to cope. I’m pretty much always fine outside of work, never had any panic attacks other than actually inside the office.
My doctor has given me a sick note, but it will trigger a stage 3 and I’m cautious of how enforced the stage 3 dismissals are?
Thanks everyone.
-
Smith1212
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
- Gender: Male
Possible stage 3 absence
Sorry to hear all that mate !! I’d worry about your health before worrying about a stage 3 at Royal Mail,also following the cut off procedure is correct and good on you and your partner needs to grow up.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Possible stage 3 absence
as a quick response but not an "official" one. i believe that if the absences are linked (recurring condition, like yours) its treated very differently as you may be covered by the equality act.
Its different than if someone is off with a cold one week, headache another time and then a bad back and the business could perceive it as someone whos taking the piss.
Its different than if someone is off with a cold one week, headache another time and then a bad back and the business could perceive it as someone whos taking the piss.
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Possible stage 3 absence
Thanks pal. Yeah it’s all linked. I only went sick once with mental health, which was soon after my partner has a miscarriage, I always kept my s**t together before then. Then I was three weeks from the six months period where a stage clears, before I was raped and took four days off to visit police and hospitals. Then I had a day off after a bad reaction to a vaccine related to the assault. But I was given no reasons for being issued a stage 2, other than ‘I feel it’s appropriate’ which I believe is not the correct procedure when issuing a stage warning.Postie45 wrote:as a quick response but not an "official" one. i believe that if the absences are linked (recurring condition, like yours) its treated very differently as you may be covered by the equality act.
Its different than if someone is off with a cold one week, headache another time and then a bad back and the business could perceive it as someone whos taking the piss.
-
Tomolo208
- Posts: 102
- Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
- Gender: Male
Possible stage 3 absence
f**k your manager. Seriously. You've had a terrible experience and you've not been supported through it.
Put in a grievance. Yours is the most grievance worthy I've read on here!
Go in tomorrow and speak to your manager. You have had a horrible time and no allowances have been made to help you return to work.
If they sacked you for whatever reason a court would be a million percent on your side. Talk to your union rep, absolutely unacceptable this is happening to you.
I hope life picks back up for you soon! You've defo had your fair share of s**t lately.
Put in a grievance. Yours is the most grievance worthy I've read on here!
Go in tomorrow and speak to your manager. You have had a horrible time and no allowances have been made to help you return to work.
If they sacked you for whatever reason a court would be a million percent on your side. Talk to your union rep, absolutely unacceptable this is happening to you.
I hope life picks back up for you soon! You've defo had your fair share of s**t lately.
-
ninja
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 08 Sep 2010, 20:16
- Gender: Male
Possible stage 3 absence
You need to report this to ray ellis at cwu hq. His dept is reviewing the application of agreement.
Your manager has to explain there rationale for including or discounting each absence,page 45 of the agreement.
Doubt informal process was followed page 7/8 and would cast doubt if you are on any formal process.
Lastly the stage 3 would require an oh report and you need to fully explain your health issues and how they effect you on a day to day basis.
You may be covered by the equality act as a result.
Your manager has to explain there rationale for including or discounting each absence,page 45 of the agreement.
Doubt informal process was followed page 7/8 and would cast doubt if you are on any formal process.
Lastly the stage 3 would require an oh report and you need to fully explain your health issues and how they effect you on a day to day basis.
You may be covered by the equality act as a result.
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Possible stage 3 absence
Just had a look at the policy, states that ‘a manager must provide a rationale for their decision’ I remember stating this and just got told ‘I’ll do that if you trigger a stage 3, at the moment it’s not necessary’ Absolute shiteninja wrote:You need to report this to ray ellis at cwu hq. His dept is reviewing the application of agreement.
Your manager has to explain there rationale for including or discounting each absence,page 45 of the agreement.
Doubt informal process was followed page 7/8 and would cast doubt if you are on any formal process.
Lastly the stage 3 would require an oh report and you need to fully explain your health issues and how they effect you on a day to day basis.
You may be covered by the equality act as a result.
-
osgoody1970
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 360
- Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
- Gender: Male
Possible stage 3 absence
why, have you got lapsing?? if you cannot finish your own work within the allotted time??
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Possible stage 3 absence
Because the majority come in early and do their d2ds in their own time. I’ve done 30+ walks and there’s not many that you can finish on your time if you come in on time, take your break, and not rush around. And then add in the use of a LWT, but then not a single person using them. I’ve only ever seen two in the office and they’ve not moved for two years!osgoody1970 wrote:why, have you got lapsing?? if you cannot finish your own work within the allotted time??
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Possible stage 3 absence
What happens when someone injures themselves? RM will instantly make it a blameworthy by saying that you should have used the mandated equipment for the walkcamelelf wrote:Because the majority come in early and do their d2ds in their own time. I’ve done 30+ walks and there’s not many that you can finish on your time if you come in on time, take your break, and not rush around. And then add in the use of a LWT, but then not a single person using them. I’ve only ever seen two in the office and they’ve not moved for two years!osgoody1970 wrote:why, have you got lapsing?? if you cannot finish your own work within the allotted time??
-
ninja
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 08 Sep 2010, 20:16
- Gender: Male
Possible stage 3 absence
Clearly manager is wrong and the stage 2 shouldn't have been issued.camelelf wrote:Just had a look at the policy, states that ‘a manager must provide a rationale for their decision’ I remember stating this and just got told ‘I’ll do that if you trigger a stage 3, at the moment it’s not necessary’ Absolute shiteninja wrote:You need to report this to ray ellis at cwu hq. His dept is reviewing the application of agreement.
Your manager has to explain there rationale for including or discounting each absence,page 45 of the agreement.
Doubt informal process was followed page 7/8 and would cast doubt if you are on any formal process.
Lastly the stage 3 would require an oh report and you need to fully explain your health issues and how they effect you on a day to day basis.
You may be covered by the equality act as a result.
Search Mrs foster v royalmail which identifies many failures managers make.
But would still advise contacting ray ellis dept.
-
camelelf
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Possible stage 3 absence
I’m putting in a grievance about him not following correct procedure. I’ve also notified my area rep who will bring it up with HR and our operations manager.ninja wrote:Clearly manager is wrong and the stage 2 shouldn't have been issued.camelelf wrote:Just had a look at the policy, states that ‘a manager must provide a rationale for their decision’ I remember stating this and just got told ‘I’ll do that if you trigger a stage 3, at the moment it’s not necessary’ Absolute shiteninja wrote:You need to report this to ray ellis at cwu hq. His dept is reviewing the application of agreement.
Your manager has to explain there rationale for including or discounting each absence,page 45 of the agreement.
Doubt informal process was followed page 7/8 and would cast doubt if you are on any formal process.
Lastly the stage 3 would require an oh report and you need to fully explain your health issues and how they effect you on a day to day basis.
You may be covered by the equality act as a result.
Search Mrs foster v royalmail which identifies many failures managers make.
But would still advise contacting ray ellis dept.
I tried doing a search, but I couldn’t find a way to contact Mr Ellis’s department. Could you point me in the right direction?
-
ninja
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 08 Sep 2010, 20:16
- Gender: Male
Possible stage 3 absence
Just phone cwu hq 0208 9717 200
And ask for ray ellis dept.
And ask for ray ellis dept.