ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Worried about job security

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Worried about job security

Post by Jamiechelt »

I've been called daily saying I'm a spare. Sometimes it's we have no work at all. Sometimes it's you need to go to a different office. How much should I worry? I've been here over a year and never seen it like this.

Today my hours have been completely changed from 7 50 til 2 50 to 1 til 7 doing lats.
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Worried about job security

Post by noggin1969 »

To be honest with the turn over of staff you should always have a job. They'll just mess you about until you pick onto a vacancy. ( then they'll probably still mess you about for " operational needs" ).
Last edited by noggin1969 on 27 Feb 2019, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Worried about job security

Post by Jamiechelt »

The thing is even though we are well overstaffed they are still hiring. I don't get it!
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Worried about job security

Post by maisymoo04 »

1-7 is a hybrid duty then doing tracked and collections am guessing ??? :hmmmm
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Worried about job security

Post by Postie45 »

Jamiechelt wrote:I've been called daily saying I'm a spare. Sometimes it's we have no work at all. Sometimes it's you need to go to a different office. How much should I worry? I've been here over a year and never seen it like this.

Today my hours have been completely changed from 7 50 til 2 50 to 1 til 7 doing lats.
whats your contract say ? cant see them getting rid of people at this point.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Worried about job security

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Jamiechelt wrote:The thing is even though we are well overstaffed they are still hiring. I don't get it!
Send some of them our way, we need some more staff (we have casuals year round)
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Worried about job security

Post by clashcityrocker »

Jamiechelt wrote:The thing is even though we are well overstaffed they are still hiring. I don't get it!
They are hiring part time staff to replace the full time staff they want rid of.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Worried about job security

Post by wacko74 »

Well overstaffed??!!

Yours must be the only office in the country that is!
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Worried about job security

Post by postslippete »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Jamiechelt wrote:The thing is even though we are well overstaffed they are still hiring. I don't get it!
They are hiring part time staff to replace the full time staff they want rid of.

Well, why are they not also hiring part-time managers to replace the full-time managers they want rid of?? A manager's job is all but finished when all us posties have gone by 10.30am.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
A2B
Posts: 2029
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

Worried about job security

Post by A2B »

postslippete wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Jamiechelt wrote:The thing is even though we are well overstaffed they are still hiring. I don't get it!
They are hiring part time staff to replace the full time staff they want rid of.

Well, why are they not also hiring part-time managers to replace the full-time managers they want rid of?? A manager's job is all but finished when all us posties have gone by 10.30am.
Most will be replaced in due course by the Work Place Coach
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Worried about job security

Post by Jamiechelt »

I took the job cause I love the hours. Can I be pushed around like this .. doing 1 til 7 .. where do I stand??

We have like 8 spares this week it's just bizarre
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Worried about job security

Post by Postie45 »

They have to give some notice (24hrs I think?) about changing your hours. Also if you're being singled out as the only person being forced to change shifts on a regular basis, then I'd talk to the CWU rep as that would be unfair.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Worried about job security

Post by Interested-seeker »

Jamiechelt wrote:I took the job cause I love the hours. Can I be pushed around like this .. doing 1 til 7 .. where do I stand??

We have like 8 spares this week it's just bizarre
What kind of contract are you on?
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Worried about job security

Post by Jamiechelt »

Interested-seeker wrote:
Jamiechelt wrote:I took the job cause I love the hours. Can I be pushed around like this .. doing 1 til 7 .. where do I stand??

We have like 8 spares this week it's just bizarre
What kind of contract are you on?
38 hours. 30 delivery. 8 lat. Now they want to change it all to lat.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Worried about job security

Post by Janet Brum »

That can`t be right, you were a newbie last year?
38 hours is the total hours you work, over time and lat included, but what`s your contracted hours?