ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Part timer working OT issues

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jacko29
Posts: 219
Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:13
Gender: Female

Part timer working OT issues

Post by Jacko29 »

Hi, I’ve come on here to vent as it seems some of my colleagues have a problem with me doing overtime (I’m a part timer) I say yes to pretty much any overtime asked of me as I don’t mind doing it as I’m saving up. I think some people have a problem with this but I’m not sure why or what I can do about it. I don’t want to turn down money but I want to have a good working relationship with my colleagues.
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

Part timer working OT issues

Post by Tinoblade »

Jacko29 wrote:Hi, I’ve come on here to vent as it seems some of my colleagues have a problem with me doing overtime (I’m a part timer) I say yes to pretty much any overtime asked of me as I don’t mind doing it as I’m saving up. I think some people have a problem with this but I’m not sure why or what I can do about it. I don’t want to turn down money but I want to have a good working relationship with my colleagues.
I do overtime everyday too for the money
It’s no one else’s business
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

Part timer working OT issues

Post by gary1975 »

It should only be an issue if the overtime is not being shared out fairly to those who want it.
scoobymunster
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
Gender: Male

Part timer working OT issues

Post by scoobymunster »

Out of curiosity are you getting paid OT for just what you do, or are you getting ghost too? that would definitely get backs up in my office. Although in saying that, what OT you do is entirely up to you and no one elses concern. Doing OT indoors/collections is much easier earned than doing extra OT delivery.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Part timer working OT issues

Post by tommyrep »

If the overtime is fairly offered and equally distributed to ALL others, there should be no reason for complaint!
If it is being conducted in an unfair fashion, well that is completely different.
Does your office operate an overtime roster?
gimba
Posts: 192
Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
Gender: Male

Part timer working OT issues

Post by gimba »

Jacko29 wrote:Hi, I’ve come on here to vent as it seems some of my colleagues have a problem with me doing overtime (I’m a part timer) I say yes to pretty much any overtime asked of me as I don’t mind doing it as I’m saving up. I think some people have a problem with this but I’m not sure why or what I can do about it. I don’t want to turn down money but I want to have a good working relationship with my colleagues.
Ignore it, if you want overtime, you do the overtime, think of #1 (yourself)
if others have an issue, not your doing, thats down to management
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Part timer working OT issues

Post by Postie45 »

I dont know if this is the case but maybe theres been a culture of refusing OT at standard rates to "ransom" managers to pay more, and your acceptance to do it at standard rate is ruining their game.
Jacko29
Posts: 219
Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:13
Gender: Female

Part timer working OT issues

Post by Jacko29 »

scoobymunster wrote:Out of curiosity are you getting paid OT for just what you do, or are you getting ghost too? that would definitely get backs up in my office. Although in saying that, what OT you do is entirely up to you and no one elses concern. Doing OT indoors/collections is much easier earned than doing extra OT delivery.
Just getting paid for the ot I do. I do cut offs, lapsing that no one takes, come in early and do d2ds for lapsing rounds and people ask me to cover collections. I also come in early same as FT’s.
Jacko29
Posts: 219
Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:13
Gender: Female

Part timer working OT issues

Post by Jacko29 »

gary1975 wrote:It should only be an issue if the overtime is not being shared out fairly to those who want it.
All I know is that I get to asked to do it. If people don’t think it’s fair they should talk to manager rather than put me down behind my back? I’m happy with less OT but if I’m offered it I’m not going to say no.
Jacko29
Posts: 219
Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:13
Gender: Female

Part timer working OT issues

Post by Jacko29 »

tommyrep wrote:If the overtime is fairly offered and equally distributed to ALL others, there should be no reason for complaint!
If it is being conducted in an unfair fashion, well that is completely different.
Does your office operate an overtime roster?
There’s no OT roster.
Jacko29
Posts: 219
Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:13
Gender: Female

Part timer working OT issues

Post by Jacko29 »

Ignore it, if you want overtime, you do the overtime, think of #1 (yourself)
if others have an issue, not your doing, thats down to management[/quote]

That’s how I feel, they seem to have the issues directly aimed at me rather than managers
Jacko29
Posts: 219
Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:13
Gender: Female

Part timer working OT issues

Post by Jacko29 »

Postie45 wrote:I dont know if this is the case but maybe theres been a culture of refusing OT at standard rates to "ransom" managers to pay more, and your acceptance to do it at standard rate is ruining their game.
I wouldn’t know. Perhaps.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Part timer working OT issues

Post by Acca Dacca »

Some people just hate the managers and see overtime as helping the manager out.

Just ignore them.

If its a full timer moaning about you doing too many hours ask him if he wants to swap contracts so he can do less.

Exactly
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Part timer working OT issues

Post by rubberbond »

I always say to those who accuse me of "grabbing", that it's there if you want it , I only get the same rate for it as everyone else. In the main , I just ignore it if I want extra money I'll do what I can to earn it legitimately. Fair play to you I say and ignore the sniping , or tell them to **** off as politely as you can.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Part timer working OT issues

Post by maisymoo04 »

Jacko29 wrote:
scoobymunster wrote:Out of curiosity are you getting paid OT for just what you do, or are you getting ghost too? that would definitely get backs up in my office. Although in saying that, what OT you do is entirely up to you and no one elses concern. Doing OT indoors/collections is much easier earned than doing extra OT delivery.
Just getting paid for the ot I do. I do cut offs, lapsing that no one takes, come in early and do d2ds for lapsing rounds and people ask me to cover collections. I also come in early same as FT’s.
no wonder everyone has a issue :whistle :whistle :silenced :silenced :silenced
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"