So, i gave my notice in a week or two ago at Royal Mail after working there almost 3 months, mainly due to not being able to get the leave i needed to cover childcare during school holidays, we just couldn’t make it work for us as a family. I really enjoyed the job, well, the delivery part anyway. On giving my notice to my DOM he asked me if i could work my weeks notice, no problem I said, I had no intention of leaving on bad terms and told him I’d like to possibly return to Royal Mail when my son is a little older and able to walk home himself in a few years. So I work my notice, say my goodbyes, and at the end of the week get my pay slip and instead of 5 days pay I find only 2 days have been paid. This is despite me going down to see the lady in pay to check that i would be paid for my day in lieu holiday I had booked that week.
I called my DOM several times the week after I left to ask why this had happened, with no reply, only getting a call back after saying i’d come in the depot in person to resolve things later that morning. I was then told that this would all be sorted in my final pay slip the following week as I was not on their computer systems as I had now technically left RM and it was all down to head office. Now bear in mind i was due around 6/7 days holiday for the 3 months i was at RM and the 3 missing days from the previous wages, i was expecting around 10 days pay. What did I get? £23. Which was basically my overtime from my last week minus ANOTHER days pay! So I’m now owed pushing £600 from RM. To make matters worse I get my P45 through this morning which is obviously missing the 11 days pay, so that has to be redone too.
I’ve worked for many big companies over the years, but I’ve never had to chase and beg to be paid what I’m owed for an honest days work in my life (had to ‘correct’ missing overtime pay several times in my 3 months at RM. So after all this hassle, i’d never work for RM again, and I’m pretty disgusted at the treatment I (and several others from what I’ve heard) have received for such a huge, reputable company.
And this is no disrespect to all the posties on here, I met a lot of great people in my short time here and still in contact with a couple now I’ve left. But its left me with a very bitter taste in my mouth.
Has anyone else experienced or know of any similar cases? Any advice on how to get the money I’m owed? Can I still contact my union rep now I’ve left? I’ll speak to HR on Monday and hope that they can sort it all out.
Thoroughly p*ssed off.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Leaving RM
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Leaving RM
Small claims court ?
-
Nicesean
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 19 Nov 2018, 13:32
- Gender: Male
Leaving RM
I'm hoping that Small Claims is a last resort, but its definitely an option.
-
Nicesean
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 19 Nov 2018, 13:32
- Gender: Male
Leaving RM
Anyone else have any ideas?
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Leaving RM
Best of luck in the future. Working for RM can provide its challenges, not a standard life experience with so many different managers having varying interpretations of what the employment conditions really are, in reality they don’t have a scoobie.
The money due problem is normally an HR department issue, on winding up management would only supply the leaving date. Holidays due, outstanding OT etc, ( if submitted ) will dealt with by them, same as your P45 tax record.
The money due problem is normally an HR department issue, on winding up management would only supply the leaving date. Holidays due, outstanding OT etc, ( if submitted ) will dealt with by them, same as your P45 tax record.
-
Nicesean
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 19 Nov 2018, 13:32
- Gender: Male
Leaving RM
Hi tommyrep, thanks for the reply., so first port of call would be HR then. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Still not sure why i 'lost' 4 days pay from my last weeks work. I'm hoping they can tell me that.
Still not sure why i 'lost' 4 days pay from my last weeks work. I'm hoping they can tell me that.
-
panch1989
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
- Gender: Male
Leaving RM
Did you get this sorted? My last day is tomorrow and I'm owed around 14 days in leave and Rota days off as we run wally weeks in my office. None of it was in this week's pay slip so I'm guessing it's in next week's after I've left.
-
panch1989
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
- Gender: Male
Leaving RM
Just a bump on this, I left last week, owed 5 days on the wally week in pay and annual leave of atleast a week. In total I've had a pay slip for 60 quid. When you ring HR and say you've left and have an issue with leave owed it just puts the phone down on you saying see your manager. Thing is you don't have a manager because you left.