ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Golf Trollies

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
goldendragon
Posts: 23
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 14:49
Gender: Male

Golf Trollies

Post by goldendragon »

Is it just me who's disgusted at the level of service we're encouraged to provide these days?

At the risk of being easily identified should my manager read this, today I had a discussion with him about the use of a golf trolley on my round. Never mind the fact the majority of the office have spent years telling management that this pairing is too long as it is without a trolley forcing us the go the long way around because of cars on narrow pavements or tipping when you hit a kerb, my main issue with it was the area itself. If I leave a trolley at the bottom of a block of flats and go up 2 floors, it wont be there when I get back. I asked who gets the blame when it gets stolen and his response was "Royal Mail as its the equipment they provided." I still made a point that I didn't think I should be leaving a trolley unattended on a round where we have a gang of Eastern Europeans who are regularly bin dipping, we have a probation centre with many people going in and out who are there for offences such as theft and multiple drug addicts and alcoholics in a rehab home who would happily steal for the money for a fix and I'm basically told "well just leave it and once it happens we'll record the incident and deal with it then."

Great so I'm in the clear if it does go missing, but why are we waiting for it to happen before being told to look after the mail? About 5 years ago my parents were the victims of ID theft due to someone stealing their mail. I've seen the stress its caused and the fact I've been told to put other peoples property, including bank statements in a position where that is likely to happen has really annoyed me. I work for the company, I own shares, I should want us to do well, yet I've come home now with the mentality that if I order anything online I'll try my hardest to get it from somewhere that doesn't use Royal Mail, even if it costs me more and I feel like I should be telling my family to do the same.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Golf Trollies

Post by Acca Dacca »

To use a trolley the area has to be risk assessed first for the loop to be designated as LWT viable
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Golf Trollies

Post by greengiant »

You shouldn't be using a LWT to deliver to blocks of flats...
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Golf Trollies

Post by SpacePhoenix »

goldendragon wrote:Is it just me who's disgusted at the level of service we're encouraged to provide these days?

At the risk of being easily identified should my manager read this, today I had a discussion with him about the use of a golf trolley on my round. Never mind the fact the majority of the office have spent years telling management that this pairing is too long as it is without a trolley forcing us the go the long way around because of cars on narrow pavements or tipping when you hit a kerb, my main issue with it was the area itself. If I leave a trolley at the bottom of a block of flats and go up 2 floors, it wont be there when I get back. I asked who gets the blame when it gets stolen and his response was "Royal Mail as its the equipment they provided." I still made a point that I didn't think I should be leaving a trolley unattended on a round where we have a gang of Eastern Europeans who are regularly bin dipping, we have a probation centre with many people going in and out who are there for offences such as theft and multiple drug addicts and alcoholics in a rehab home who would happily steal for the money for a fix and I'm basically told "well just leave it and once it happens we'll record the incident and deal with it then."

Great so I'm in the clear if it does go missing, but why are we waiting for it to happen before being told to look after the mail? About 5 years ago my parents were the victims of ID theft due to someone stealing their mail. I've seen the stress its caused and the fact I've been told to put other peoples property, including bank statements in a position where that is likely to happen has really annoyed me. I work for the company, I own shares, I should want us to do well, yet I've come home now with the mentality that if I order anything online I'll try my hardest to get it from somewhere that doesn't use Royal Mail, even if it costs me more and I feel like I should be telling my family to do the same.
Get the manager to put that in writing otherwise my gut feeling is that you'd get the blame
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Golf Trollies

Post by clashcityrocker »

The integrity of the mail is ultimately our responsibility.If you are using a lwt to deliver to blocks of flats and leaving the mail unsecured then it means the planner was an idiot, your rep is an idiot, the H&S rep is an idiot but you don't have to be an idiot if you don't want to be.
Alter the loop. Change where you park so the flats can be done from the van. Anything. Something.
But ensure the integrity of the mail. That's our job.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Golf Trollies

Post by joewyan »

clashcityrocker wrote:The integrity of the mail is ultimately our responsibility.If you are using a lwt to deliver to blocks of flats and leaving the mail unsecured then it means the planner was an idiot, your rep is an idiot, the H&S rep is an idiot but you don't have to be an idiot if you don't want to be.
Alter the loop. Change where you park so the flats can be done from the van. Anything. Something.
But ensure the integrity of the mail. That's our job.
Well said!