ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Van share

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Van share

Post by Smith1212 »

I’m a driver and fast postman walking but I start on time and finish on time,but I’m always doing my loops and half my partners and sometimes cutting off managers moaning at me but I’m working so hard what would you suggest ??
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Van share

Post by leolion855 »

stop doing your partners loops for a start, then ask them to show you your pda actual data to show you where you are losing time compared to the RM plan, i bet they dont find any lost time though..
Also ask a manager to come out and assess you on your round as they are supposed to any way from time to time.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Van share

Post by Smith1212 »

Yeah ok thanks i actually filmed how much I do on partners loops to have my own proof of how much I’m doing as well as the big parcels on the van !
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Van share

Post by tommyrep »

Smith1212 wrote:I’m a driver and fast postman walking but I start on time and finish on time,but I’m always doing my loops and half my partners and sometimes cutting off managers moaning at me but I’m working so hard what would you suggest ??
You answered your own question really, you are fast ! Yet you also say you are working too hard, with a boss moaning.
Or are you implying your partner is too slow ? The duty may be too large if cutting off is occurs even on busier days
It's only a job not an Olympic event where you strive to win a medal. A steady walking pace, while attempting to deliver at first attempt is what RM ask, your return packets are put back in the van as you are the driver, your partner on the other hand may not enjoy that so much and delivers to neighbors, etc. Or is he/she a lazy B ??
Of course there are standards to be met, but age and fitness need to be comparable for fair assesssment on the partners performance. If the duty is properly equally dividedaybe your partner is taking a liberty or you need to slow down - maybe stop running and jumping fences etc ? just possibly. Van share is always problematic as no two people can finish loops at same time on a regular basis.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Van share

Post by Smith1212 »

I don’t run that’s for sure mate and also don’t jump fences I’m 7.50am start never anything thrown off! Yes my partner is slow and that’s a fact but I always help them but if we don’t finish and cut off I’m always to blame but I work my hours so can pick my kids up from school so ?
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Van share

Post by postslippete »

Surely your managers will know in their office who's fast, who's slow and who definitely knows how to milk the duty for all its worth. There is nothing wrong with cutting off but if you are racing round and doing your partner's loops as well, then all that will happen is that your partner will work slower in the expectation that you will be doing their work for them.

The best way is to ask to ask your van share partner if there is anyway they can do any of the work on overtime so that you finish on time?? If they can't then its obviously not just you that needs to cut off is it?? However, if your partner can do the excess work thats great because then all you need is dropping off back to the depot or picking up at a set time from where you finish. :thumbup
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Van share

Post by Smith1212 »

postslippete wrote:Surely your managers will know in their office who's fast, who's slow and who definitely knows how to milk the duty for all its worth. There is nothing wrong with cutting off but if you are racing round and doing your partner's loops as well, then all that will happen is that your partner will work slower in the expectation that you will be doing their work for them.

The best way is to ask to ask your van share partner if there is anyway they can do any of the work on overtime so that you finish on time?? If they can't then its obviously not just you that needs to cut off is it?? However, if your partner can do the excess work thats great because then all you need is dropping off back to the depot or picking up at a set time from where you finish. :thumbup
Great post thanks
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Van share

Post by tommyrep »

Smith1212 wrote:I don’t run that’s for sure mate and also don’t jump fences I’m 7.50am start never anything thrown off! Yes my partner is slow and that’s a fact but I always help them but if we don’t finish and cut off I’m always to blame but I work my hours so can pick my kids up from school so ?
How are YOU always to blame ? A bit of B&H and intimidation there if you get blamed and your partner gets NO hassle.
You have done your utmost but have other commitments, so you are entitled to finish on time to pick up your kids.
RM seem to take that stance when a duty is not completed, if you finished and claimed OT there would be no problem.
DOMs do not appreciate that people have a life out with delivering mail.
Stick to our guns, collect the kids it's not your problem in reality.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Van share

Post by Smith1212 »

tommyrep wrote:
Smith1212 wrote:I don’t run that’s for sure mate and also don’t jump fences I’m 7.50am start never anything thrown off! Yes my partner is slow and that’s a fact but I always help them but if we don’t finish and cut off I’m always to blame but I work my hours so can pick my kids up from school so ?
How are YOU always to blame ? A bit of B&H and intimidation there if you get blamed and your partner gets NO hassle.
You have done your utmost but have other commitments, so you are entitled to finish on time to pick up your kids.
RM seem to take that stance when a duty is not completed, if you finished and claimed OT there would be no problem.
DOMs do not appreciate that people have a life out with delivering mail.
Stick to our guns, collect the kids it's not your problem in reality.
Exactly job gets complete it’s no problem.But I’ve got kids that I’ve got to collect and work my hours but that’s why I get the blame I suppose !
Gangham_style14
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
Gender: Male

Van share

Post by Gangham_style14 »

Ask for your own van! This comment may be controversial but it speaks truth!
Too many useless posties who quite frankly are not up to the job and shouldn’t be employed.
Many happy to stay out until silly o’clock, not giving a hoot about the person they work with life outside of work.

Bout time RM actually used their PDA actuals and challenged the under performers! But we all know they won’t as I bet 99% of them don’t claim O/T and are just happy to plod along until 6pm to get the job done.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Van share

Post by Navalron »

Gangham_style14 wrote:Ask for your own van! This comment may be controversial but it speaks truth!
Too many useless posties who quite frankly are not up to the job and shouldn’t be employed.
Many happy to stay out until silly o’clock, not giving a hoot about the person they work with life outside of work.

Bout time RM actually used their PDA actuals and challenged the under performers! But we all know they won’t as I bet 99% of them don’t claim O/T and are just happy to plod along until 6pm to get the job done.
Any postie out working until 6pm without claiming docket= dafty. Also, who are you to compare everybody else's work rate. Judge, jury and executioner? :thumbdown
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Van share

Post by miles_peters »

van sharing sounds a complete nightmare, im so glad my office don't do it, just seems like a hot area for conflict.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Van share

Post by Seymour Buts »

This is why single duties are like gold dust at our place. Even the awful ones need 20 plus years before you're in with any kind of chance.

There's not a lot you can do, bar come off the duty. I'd say the majority (just) in my office are good, but there's a good many are just awful. They're either slow, sand baggers or just plain incompetent. It's just annoying coz you end up doing everything while you wait for them, I've tried to refuse before but you just end up waiting around and getting back late constantly. I don't really like cutting off when there's no need because if you were with somebody good they'd be time to complete, but you've got to do what you've got to do.