ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bald Tyre

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
casualnowwithangard
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Sep 2011, 12:41
Gender: Male

Bald Tyre

Post by casualnowwithangard »

I have recently gone through fact finding for failing to spot a bald tyre. Case has now been referred to MPU manager as I understand it from reading the conduct code the options from here are dismissal or suspended dismissal. Any advice?
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Bald Tyre

Post by jd9442 »

Tell them that because of manager pressure to complete you never have time to complete the 10 minute check on the vans or however long it is
Stammerking
Posts: 208
Joined: 09 Dec 2007, 20:58

Bald Tyre

Post by Stammerking »

No excuse not to do a van check just pure laziness putting your own life at risk and others around you when driving RM need to tighten up on this :evil/mad
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Bald Tyre

Post by noggin1969 »

Refused to take a van out due to bald tyres , lineo tried to get me to go out in it. Told him to fornicate in a different direction. Turned out 3 senior men had told him the same previously :arrrghhh and logged it off. 2 weeks later newbies were still taking it out on Yule Brynner's.
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Bald Tyre

Post by danterossetti »

I hope you have put the Newbies in the know Noggin.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Bald Tyre

Post by 97gaz »

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Bald Tyre

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Stammerking wrote:No excuse not to do a van check just pure laziness putting your own life at risk and others around you when driving RM need to tighten up on this :evil/mad

He asked for advice, not judgement, that's coming his way anyway, and no doubt he feels some guilt anyway - so way to go.

Any advice for him.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Bald Tyre

Post by number one »

Have you been issued with a depth gauge and have you been shown how to use it?
Your late today
Posts: 57
Joined: 09 Oct 2017, 13:37
Gender: Male

Bald Tyre

Post by Your late today »

Every tyre has got a depth guide on them, when it’s level pmt it cover yourself.
casualnowwithangard
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Sep 2011, 12:41
Gender: Male

Bald Tyre

Post by casualnowwithangard »

Was given tread gauge after fact finding meeting, Royal Mail policy is 2 mm is bald despite law being 1.6mm.
I admit I was at fault, didn't do checks this day but normally do as always in different vans.
my main gripe is I have PMT vans for bald tyres before and nothing has been said to duty holder, think I upset manager bringing this up in meeting that why it's been passed up
luddite
Posts: 451
Joined: 06 May 2008, 20:24

Bald Tyre

Post by luddite »

You made a mistake mate, they shouldn't be looking to hang you for it. Your not the regular driver and it didn't become bald overnight did it!
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Bald Tyre

Post by krussel »

casualnowwithangard wrote:Was given tread gauge after fact finding meeting, Royal Mail policy is 2 mm is bald despite law being 1.6mm.
I admit I was at fault, didn't do checks this day but normally do as always in different vans.
my main gripe is I have PMT vans for bald tyres before and nothing has been said to duty holder, think I upset manager bringing this up in meeting that why it's been passed up

If you had 2mm tread left then you might be ok. Our workshop has returned vans with 2mm need greater wear to change them. If the tyre was smooth bald below the 1.6mm wear indicator then no point making an argument other than asking for some mercy to be shown for a serious warning. Sorry :sad: best of luck.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Bald Tyre

Post by robbertwhitton »

Well the fleet is in poor shape to be fair and some vans well passed there best and still in service,they should be scrapped,and not used as a reserve,do the checks to the letter if that’s what they want,we’ve had vans defective and then told by many to drive them to workshops?... no I won’t it’s not roadworthy!,that’s why I defected it,a bit like make sure you do you checks but don’t find anything wrong with it and defect it,cos it causes management a problem!,, oh well suck it up!!!
casualnowwithangard
Posts: 46
Joined: 19 Sep 2011, 12:41
Gender: Male

Bald Tyre

Post by casualnowwithangard »

I would take a warning but seems like they going for more. I accept I've made a mistake but believe they have set precedence by not doing anything about similar cases. All I want is equality and obviously keep my job
Old username been full time employee since 2013
hero22
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Bald Tyre

Post by hero22 »

same thing happened to me several years ago mate. I was taken in for the disciplinary and was told own up or be sacked. I didn't believe I was in the wrong as I had done my checks and seen no issue but it was a kangaroo court.
The point though that is important is that I along with 16 other people received a 2 year suspended dismissal for the same van. When the tyre was found to be bald, I had not driven it for 3 weeks and 298 miles had passed and after checks had been done it was found to be an issue with the balancing of the tyres meaning it wore away quicker. I had only driven the van one afternoon for half an hour for overtime. Management said anyone who had driven the van for the previous 300 miles before the tyre had been spotted were also to blame so if I was you I would raise that issue. I think you will find the hearing to be a farce though.