ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
RTC policy fact v fiction
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
Can anyone confirm the policy.,not sure I believe my boss,had a second rtc within a year (a minor knock really)now taken off driving and awaiting sentencing!our boss is keen to loan people out and as we only have 2 hct duties and no van sharing,they may plan to loan me out,have done 37 years now and they get little or no trouble from me unlike some in our unit,am a bit miffed to say the least that there’s no room for common sense ,but our boss is a bit of a yes man and may suit him to loan me out,during whatever period of my non driving,am awaiting union advice on this,any thoughts?
-
The Postman
- Posts: 267
- Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
How’s that going to work? Your off the driving, so someone will have to drop you at the other office after your start time then pick you up with enough time to get back and finished on time at your own office.robbertwhitton wrote:Can anyone confirm the policy.,not sure I believe my boss,had a second rtc within a year (a minor knock really)now taken off driving and awaiting sentencing!our boss is keen to loan people out and as we only have 2 hct duties and no van sharing,they may plan to loan me out,have done 37 years now and they get littlevor no trouble from me unlike something our unit,am a bit miffed to say the least that there’s no room for common sense ,but our boss is a bit of a yes man and may suit him to loan me out,during whatever period of my non driving,am awai union advice on this,any thoughts?
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
I'm afraid it is standard policy following an RTC to take you off driving until the accident has been investigated. You will then either be moved to the 'non-driver' duty on a P&L duty or another duty that does not require use of a van such as a town walk or a HCT duty. Once you have had three blameworthy RTCs within a certain timeframe you can be taken off driving for two years. This has happened to one postie in our DO.
Don't take it too personal as I'm afraid its just how RM runs things and is not connected with a postie being no trouble or a pain in the ****. On my last RTC a cover DOM dealt with it rather than our own DOM. The cover DOM had little idea how the process worked so I didn't get taken off my driving duty which was very lucky.
So the DOM could either move other posties around on the duties to enable you to do a non driving duty in your own office or he could send you to another office where they are short staffed.
Good luck.
Don't take it too personal as I'm afraid its just how RM runs things and is not connected with a postie being no trouble or a pain in the ****. On my last RTC a cover DOM dealt with it rather than our own DOM. The cover DOM had little idea how the process worked so I didn't get taken off my driving duty which was very lucky.
So the DOM could either move other posties around on the duties to enable you to do a non driving duty in your own office or he could send you to another office where they are short staffed.
Good luck.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
Ha!! Exactly! I’m hoping it’s not going to work but you know how this outfit works,?
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
Its not 'sentencing' as such but the process does drag on a bit. You will likely have to do the driving course which, worse case scenario can take four hours but it usually takes a fair bit less than that. It involves an interactive talk with a program on a laptop, which actually gives you some interesting facts on for example how food interacts with alcohol in your body. Then you do a full vehicle check followed by a test on your ability to drive. You then get a score and usually a recommendation that you can go back on driving vans. The driving course booked and done in your own time unpaid after you have completed your walk.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
Yep I’ve had that after my last one but didn’t get taken off driving,and was told I was a low risk after completion,yes it does go on a bit this process,and I’m not the worlds worst driver,but as ever have seen others get away with it through lack of consistency etc,and everybody bus an expert driver all of a sudden and take the p....!
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
The last RTC I had involved reversing slowly back into another vehicle on a circular gravel driveway. Needless to say I felt a right idiot afterwards. I think most RTCs in RM involve slow speed maneuvering. I was concentrating on not driving on the grass island and I think I had the radio too loud. You learn from your mistakes......or I do. 
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
ninja
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 08 Sep 2010, 20:16
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
Depends where you are in the process and if it has been confirmed as a serious accident.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
Happened Monday all forms done awaiting outcome,serious? No,I didn’t see the car as I pulled out scuffed her front wing with my bumper,minor to say the least but what a fiasco with form filling etc,no damage to my van,red tape we just love it
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
Just what is classed as an RTC?
In my office we've had identical incidents of minor low speed maneuvering scrapes against walls, no damage to other property, in some cases resulting in temporary removal from driving and other cases ignored and no further action taken.
In my office we've had identical incidents of minor low speed maneuvering scrapes against walls, no damage to other property, in some cases resulting in temporary removal from driving and other cases ignored and no further action taken.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
Typical inconsistency again,I was hoping some back up and common sense approach from boss but sadly that isn’t going to happenwacko74 wrote:Just what is classed as an RTC?
In my office we've had identical incidents of minor low speed maneuvering scrapes against walls, no damage to other property, in some cases resulting in temporary removal from driving and other cases ignored and no further action taken.
-
postman123dart
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 27 Oct 2013, 15:35
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
reply to celgar,its not unpaid done as o/t in our office
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
Yeah definitely paid, no such thing as unpaid o/t. Would also insist being done during worktime. Doing 4 hrs after 5/8 hrs on your feet. No chance. Depends how quick you want to get back to driving though ;-)postman123dart wrote:reply to celgar,its not unpaid done as o/t in our office
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
I'm not discussing this unpaid/paid subject as I have discussed it to death a while back. Just accept that in the DO I work in this is how it's done. If it's done differently in your DO then good luck to you.postman123dart wrote:reply to celgar,its not unpaid done as o/t in our office
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
A2B
- Posts: 2029
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
RTC policy fact v fiction
Celgar wrote:I'm not discussing this unpaid/paid subject as I have discussed it to death a while back. Just accept that in the DO I work in this is how it's done. If it's done differently in your DO then good luck to you.postman123dart wrote:reply to celgar,its not unpaid done as o/t in our office
Please be very careful driving a RM vehicle while not on duty, an accident could cause all sorts of problems