So there's 100,000 postmen working outdoors in winter. That fabulous employer Royal Mail will supply us with a choice of boots, yes?
Not at all. There is ONE pair of boots available, Magnums. In my opinion these are only fit for indoor work, or DRY outdoor work, as they are so slippy. So that's NO choice at all then. If you need wide fitting boots, there are NONE, so that's no choice again. Shoes / trainers aren't suitable for the soaking wet/ frozen /snow winter.
Why no Docs? Cats? Even the new Bandera's are out of stock already.
Ridic.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
A Fine Selection of Boots. (NOT).
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
A Fine Selection of Boots. (NOT).
The magnums are fine in the snow, I've had no issues. As are the Anvil trainer boots, I've worn them in 7-8 inches of snow last year and had no problems.
Personally, I think the footwear provided is excellent.
You can't just rely on boots though, if you're slipping on ice use the chains / spikes, if you're having problems with leaking then wear the waterproof trousers. Invest in some good socks, I use a liner sock under some thick wool type socks. And consider getting some gaiters, oftentimes if the insides of your boots are getting wet, it's from above...
Personally, I think the footwear provided is excellent.
You can't just rely on boots though, if you're slipping on ice use the chains / spikes, if you're having problems with leaking then wear the waterproof trousers. Invest in some good socks, I use a liner sock under some thick wool type socks. And consider getting some gaiters, oftentimes if the insides of your boots are getting wet, it's from above...
-
Spigot bearing
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 16:22
- Gender: Male
A Fine Selection of Boots. (NOT).
The magnum boots are terrible, at the heel on the inside there is no lining it's bare stitching rubbing against the back of the heel, useless for delivery.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
A Fine Selection of Boots. (NOT).
The Magnum boots are the only ones I can get on with as the other types cut into the back of my heel. I tend to wear out the outer edge of the heel though which is a personal issue. Over time with some pairs of the Magnum boots the inside stitching of the top part of the inner upper at the heel sometimes comes apart. This does ruin socks and can also cut into the back of your feet. On the whole though I have personally found the Magnum boots to be the best option unless you wish to source your own footwear and claim the thirty quid for footwear from RM.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
A Fine Selection of Boots. (NOT).
I agree wholeheartedly, the Baderas are grossly uncomfortable, the Magnums rub where the tongue of the boot fits over your foot,Dr Martens you can't break in. You would have thought that with the amount of stuff they nuy we would have decent gear , hut sadly not.NewPostieUK wrote:So there's 100,000 postmen working outdoors in winter. That fabulous employer Royal Mail will supply us with a choice of boots, yes?
Not at all. There is ONE pair of boots available, Magnums. In my opinion these are only fit for indoor work, or DRY outdoor work, as they are so slippy. So that's NO choice at all then. If you need wide fitting boots, there are NONE, so that's no choice again. Shoes / trainers aren't suitable for the soaking wet/ frozen /snow winter.
Why no Docs? Cats? Even the new Bandera's are out of stock already.
Ridic.
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
A Fine Selection of Boots. (NOT).
Them clown show looking ones ( black and red) are so uncomfortable and seem so narrow to me it pinches my feet a lot. Such a shame the shoes are so crap. I honestly couldn’t do a full round in them.
-
Meloned1
- Posts: 31
- Joined: 19 Apr 2015, 07:02
- Gender: Male
A Fine Selection of Boots. (NOT).
The new banderas are in my opinion not good my calf’s ache like hell after wearing them , I’ve now gone back to anvils much better
.
But I cannot understand why Royal Mail can’t get boots made by karrimor or go back to YDS as I thought they were the best ever imo but alas we struggle on with poor kit
But I cannot understand why Royal Mail can’t get boots made by karrimor or go back to YDS as I thought they were the best ever imo but alas we struggle on with poor kit
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
A Fine Selection of Boots. (NOT).
A lot of different opinions there, some like a particular shoe, other not. I suppose we are all different and have unique feet.
I still maintain that there should be BOOTS available for winter.
I still maintain that there should be BOOTS available for winter.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
A Fine Selection of Boots. (NOT).
There should be proper clothing for winter, I have a pair of lined trousers for example and they make a big difference , the uniform is poor quality all the way through, it needs a proper rethink.NewPostieUK wrote:A lot of different opinions there, some like a particular shoe, other not. I suppose we are all different and have unique feet.
I still maintain that there should be BOOTS available for winter.
-
Chimps_tea_party
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 154
- Joined: 17 Sep 2010, 22:33
- Gender: Male
A Fine Selection of Boots. (NOT).
I thought the Magnums were a generous fit until a couple of years ago when the fit became tighter. No good if you have wide feet.
Retired ex- Royal Mail.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
A Fine Selection of Boots. (NOT).
Exactly. There are only a couple of options with wide fitting, and the only available boots aren't.Chimps_tea_party wrote:I thought the Magnums were a generous fit until a couple of years ago when the fit became tighter. No good if you have wide feet.