ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Refuelling vans
-
woodpecker
- Posts: 885
- Joined: 06 Dec 2009, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Refuelling vans
Is there a specific rule on leaving a van above 1/4 of a tank for the next driver?
Or is it just common courtesy?
I'm increasinly finding vans being left with the fuel light on.
What are the consequences if a van was to run out of fuel?
Or is it just common courtesy?
I'm increasinly finding vans being left with the fuel light on.
What are the consequences if a van was to run out of fuel?
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Refuelling vans
The consequences are it doesn’t go anywherewoodpecker wrote:Is there a specific rule on leaving a van above 1/4 of a tank for the next driver?
Or is it just common courtesy?
I'm increasinly finding vans being left with the fuel light on.
What are the consequences if a van was to run out of fuel?
-
Wednesday
- Posts: 143
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 16:40
- Gender: Male
Refuelling vans
Love vans that are on empty,boosts my nectar points! 
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Refuelling vans
A quarter of a tank would last about 3 months on some of the vans I use .
I use the rule: if there's not enough fuel in the van for the next day, then I'll fill it up at the end of my shift.
Any other method is a needless waste of time and efficiency.
I use the rule: if there's not enough fuel in the van for the next day, then I'll fill it up at the end of my shift.
Any other method is a needless waste of time and efficiency.
-
woodpecker
- Posts: 885
- Joined: 06 Dec 2009, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Refuelling vans
number one wrote:The consequences are it doesn’t go anywherewoodpecker wrote:Is there a specific rule on leaving a van above 1/4 of a tank for the next driver?
Or is it just common courtesy?
I'm increasinly finding vans being left with the fuel light on.
What are the consequences if a van was to run out of fuel?
So is it a sackable offence?
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Refuelling vans
I was under the impression that if a diesal van completely runs out of fuel that it isn't good for the engine. I'm not a mechanic though so maybe that isn't the case.
Personally I consider it common courtesy for a van to be refilled once the fuel gauge reaches the last white line before the orange line. This is also the instruction from our DOM but quite often no notice is taken and occasionally a van is left near to or with the fuel light on which isn't ideal if the nearest garage has run out of diesal when you go to fill up.
There is also a tendency for cover staff to not do the weekly van check on a Tuesday which is the best day to do it as it is usually less busy.
Personally I consider it common courtesy for a van to be refilled once the fuel gauge reaches the last white line before the orange line. This is also the instruction from our DOM but quite often no notice is taken and occasionally a van is left near to or with the fuel light on which isn't ideal if the nearest garage has run out of diesal when you go to fill up.
There is also a tendency for cover staff to not do the weekly van check on a Tuesday which is the best day to do it as it is usually less busy.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Refuelling vans
Nopewoodpecker wrote:number one wrote:The consequences are it doesn’t go anywherewoodpecker wrote:Is there a specific rule on leaving a van above 1/4 of a tank for the next driver?
Or is it just common courtesy?
I'm increasinly finding vans being left with the fuel light on.
What are the consequences if a van was to run out of fuel?![]()
So is it a sackable offence?
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Refuelling vans
It may not be a sackable offence but even DOMs don't look favourably over posties who leave vans with the fuel light on for another postie to fill up the next day. It causes agro and arguments and no one really wants that.number one wrote:Nopewoodpecker wrote:number one wrote:The consequences are it doesn’t go anywherewoodpecker wrote:Is there a specific rule on leaving a van above 1/4 of a tank for the next driver?
Or is it just common courtesy?
I'm increasinly finding vans being left with the fuel light on.
What are the consequences if a van was to run out of fuel?![]()
So is it a sackable offence?
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
dohnut
- Posts: 658
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Refuelling vans
Worst than this are the people leaving food waste in the van on your day off, collections ect. Dont know why it is so hard to remove your own waste after finishing.
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Refuelling vans
Be careful doing that! A manager nearly got sacked because he used to fill up all the vans to get the nectar points! It's classed as a benefit in kind getting those points when using company money to buy the fuel. We all got told not to do it or face the consequences if it ever got picked up onWednesday wrote:Love vans that are on empty,boosts my nectar points!
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Refuelling vans
The rule in our office is that it must not be left below quarter of a tank.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Refuelling vans
We have a person (maybe more) that leaves bottles of piss in vans,out of sight so you don't spot them immediately,there are some truly disgusting people working for this company
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
Refuelling vans
We have a half tank rule. I am however lazy as f**k and won’t fill it up till it’s nearly empty if I know I’m using it all week. 
-
miles_peters
- Posts: 298
- Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
- Gender: Male
Refuelling vans
when I go on leave...
I leave my van with a full tank.
clean inside and out
log book up to date
when I return from leave...
van has a trickle of fuel left
s**t hole inside
log book not once filled in
some people are just arseholes.
I leave my van with a full tank.
clean inside and out
log book up to date
when I return from leave...
van has a trickle of fuel left
s**t hole inside
log book not once filled in
some people are just arseholes.
-
GoingPostal86
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 02 Dec 2012, 06:49
- Gender: Male
Refuelling vans
citypostie wrote:Be careful doing that! A manager nearly got sacked because he used to fill up all the vans to get the nectar points! It's classed as a benefit in kind getting those points when using company money to buy the fuel. We all got told not to do it or face the consequences if it ever got picked up onWednesday wrote:Love vans that are on empty,boosts my nectar points!
Always wondered about that!