ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Refuelling vans

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
woodpecker
Posts: 885
Joined: 06 Dec 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Refuelling vans

Post by woodpecker »

Is there a specific rule on leaving a van above 1/4 of a tank for the next driver?
Or is it just common courtesy?
I'm increasinly finding vans being left with the fuel light on.
What are the consequences if a van was to run out of fuel?
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Refuelling vans

Post by number one »

woodpecker wrote:Is there a specific rule on leaving a van above 1/4 of a tank for the next driver?
Or is it just common courtesy?
I'm increasinly finding vans being left with the fuel light on.
What are the consequences if a van was to run out of fuel?
The consequences are it doesn’t go anywhere
Wednesday
Posts: 143
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 16:40
Gender: Male

Refuelling vans

Post by Wednesday »

Love vans that are on empty,boosts my nectar points! :nana
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Refuelling vans

Post by Murdoch »

A quarter of a tank would last about 3 months on some of the vans I use .

I use the rule: if there's not enough fuel in the van for the next day, then I'll fill it up at the end of my shift.

Any other method is a needless waste of time and efficiency.
woodpecker
Posts: 885
Joined: 06 Dec 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Refuelling vans

Post by woodpecker »

number one wrote:
woodpecker wrote:Is there a specific rule on leaving a van above 1/4 of a tank for the next driver?
Or is it just common courtesy?
I'm increasinly finding vans being left with the fuel light on.
What are the consequences if a van was to run out of fuel?
The consequences are it doesn’t go anywhere
:chuckle
So is it a sackable offence?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Refuelling vans

Post by Celgar »

I was under the impression that if a diesal van completely runs out of fuel that it isn't good for the engine. I'm not a mechanic though so maybe that isn't the case.
Personally I consider it common courtesy for a van to be refilled once the fuel gauge reaches the last white line before the orange line. This is also the instruction from our DOM but quite often no notice is taken and occasionally a van is left near to or with the fuel light on which isn't ideal if the nearest garage has run out of diesal when you go to fill up.
There is also a tendency for cover staff to not do the weekly van check on a Tuesday which is the best day to do it as it is usually less busy.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Refuelling vans

Post by number one »

woodpecker wrote:
number one wrote:
woodpecker wrote:Is there a specific rule on leaving a van above 1/4 of a tank for the next driver?
Or is it just common courtesy?
I'm increasinly finding vans being left with the fuel light on.
What are the consequences if a van was to run out of fuel?
The consequences are it doesn’t go anywhere
:chuckle
So is it a sackable offence?
Nope
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Refuelling vans

Post by Celgar »

number one wrote:
woodpecker wrote:
number one wrote:
woodpecker wrote:Is there a specific rule on leaving a van above 1/4 of a tank for the next driver?
Or is it just common courtesy?
I'm increasinly finding vans being left with the fuel light on.
What are the consequences if a van was to run out of fuel?
The consequences are it doesn’t go anywhere
:chuckle
So is it a sackable offence?
Nope
It may not be a sackable offence but even DOMs don't look favourably over posties who leave vans with the fuel light on for another postie to fill up the next day. It causes agro and arguments and no one really wants that.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

Refuelling vans

Post by dohnut »

Worst than this are the people leaving food waste in the van on your day off, collections ect. Dont know why it is so hard to remove your own waste after finishing.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Refuelling vans

Post by citypostie »

Wednesday wrote:Love vans that are on empty,boosts my nectar points! :nana
Be careful doing that! A manager nearly got sacked because he used to fill up all the vans to get the nectar points! It's classed as a benefit in kind getting those points when using company money to buy the fuel. We all got told not to do it or face the consequences if it ever got picked up on
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Refuelling vans

Post by Jpro747 »

The rule in our office is that it must not be left below quarter of a tank.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Refuelling vans

Post by DB1100 »

We have a person (maybe more) that leaves bottles of piss in vans,out of sight so you don't spot them immediately,there are some truly disgusting people working for this company
For we were soldiers once,and young
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Refuelling vans

Post by postmanzach »

We have a half tank rule. I am however lazy as f**k and won’t fill it up till it’s nearly empty if I know I’m using it all week. :Very Happy
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Refuelling vans

Post by miles_peters »

when I go on leave...

I leave my van with a full tank.

clean inside and out

log book up to date

when I return from leave...

van has a trickle of fuel left

s**t hole inside

log book not once filled in

some people are just arseholes.
GoingPostal86
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 02 Dec 2012, 06:49
Gender: Male

Refuelling vans

Post by GoingPostal86 »

citypostie wrote:
Wednesday wrote:Love vans that are on empty,boosts my nectar points! :nana
Be careful doing that! A manager nearly got sacked because he used to fill up all the vans to get the nectar points! It's classed as a benefit in kind getting those points when using company money to buy the fuel. We all got told not to do it or face the consequences if it ever got picked up on

Always wondered about that!