ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Conflict of Interest?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
HZ123
Posts: 9
Joined: 28 Jun 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Conflict of Interest?

Post by HZ123 »

Something has come out to fill in additional hours during the week. It involves sorting parcels at a distribution hub non-RM.

Where is the line drawn in terms of conflict of interest? Does it only mean you can't be delivering competitor's mail? Or as a whole - not working for them whatsoever?

It doesn't make much sense to me because I've always thought it's my time, I should be able to choose what I do with it?
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Conflict of Interest?

Post by redneck »

Managers don't like it as it takes you away from their sphere of influence. They can't control you whilst you work there.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Conflict of Interest?

Post by cpsteve »

You are not allowed to work for a competitor so i would find out if this is considered as one, my guess is it would be but best to check in case its not.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Conflict of Interest?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

It doesn't make much sense to me because I've always thought it's my time, I should be able to choose what I do with it?
Up until the point where it affects your job.They are not telling you what to do in your own time, they are telling you if you choose to do that they may not wish to continue your employment.

The business considers that working for a rival will risk undermining commercial confidentiality.Personally I think it's a bit over the top at our level but that's their right, you have the right to make the choice but not the right to demand that Royal Mail employs you under any circumstances.
Only dead fish follow the current