A few months ago a customer on one of the duties I cover had a go at me. The day before he had a Special Delivery letter. I knocked and rang the doorbell 3 times, got no answer so left a 739 and returned the letter to the office. The following day he came out of his house waving the card demanding to know what had happened. When I explained, he accused me of lying, saying that he and his wife had been sitting in the kitchen and had I rang or knocked they would have heard and that this was terrible service! I apologised profusely, but explained that I had knocked and rang so what else could I do? In the end he was getting quite nasty so I told him it was not my fault they didn’t answer the door and walked away. I was so shocked I actually got quite upset afterwards. Luckily one of the neighbours had seen everything and told me is horrible to everyone and not to let him upset me. I reported the incident to my line manager who sent him a warning letter.
Fast forward to this week, and I am back on this duty after a few weeks on other duties. He obviously realised I was back and has been standing on the other side of his door watching me put the post through. On Tuesday just as I got to the door, he opened it and snatched the post from my hand! He then accused me again of being a liar, only this time he was referring to the warning letter. He said that I had shouted at him and he had a witness. I told him I did as well and walked off, though I will admit I called him pathetic because I was so annoyed. I reported this to the DOM and he said he will sort it.
I’m just worried now that I am going to keep getting grief off this man all because I was doing my job. He is absolutely fine with the other posties, he just seems to have taken a dislike to me. I have no problems with any other customers and I always knock and ring several times especially with SD’s. Should I just ignore him or refuse to deliver to his house? I’m hoping they are going to suspend his mail, but it was my day off today so not sure what the DOM did to sort it.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
'Difficult' customer.
-
SillySinStorm
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 09:36
- Gender: Male
“Difficult” customer.
If it continues despite a warning letter then surely the customer can be made to collect mail from the DO?
-
anthonyok
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 13 Oct 2007, 17:53
“Difficult” customer.
Has someone like that on my round who was a alky if they keep pestering you they can have the mail stopped and they got to collect i think.
-
Ciderboy1957
- Posts: 221
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:46
- Gender: Male
“Difficult” customer.
Refuse to deliver to the that , if you feel unsafe or threatened .
If DOM doesn't support you , record it in writing that you feel unsafe etc and note every incident .
Keep yourself right because Royal Mail have a way of turning these things round against OPG
If DOM doesn't support you , record it in writing that you feel unsafe etc and note every incident .
Keep yourself right because Royal Mail have a way of turning these things round against OPG
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
“Difficult” customer.
I once had a customer being downright nasty and aggressive with me, I didn't bother with the line manager, I reported it to the Police and they went round and had a word with him, they said if it happened again, he would be arrested for threatening behavior, not heard a peep from him since.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
“Difficult” customer.
Well doneNWpostie wrote:I once had a customer being downright nasty and aggressive with me, I didn't bother with the line manager, I reported it to the Police and they went round and had a word with him, they said if it happened again, he would be arrested for threatening behavior, not heard a peep from him since.
-
DiamondSmiles
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
- Gender: Male
'Difficult' customer.
I would hope that your manager has now reached the point that he/she will go round to this wonderful customer and have a face to face chat with him giving him a final warning and that he will have to come and claim his own mail from the delivery office should he decide to have another pop at you.
But if you feel threatened again by him just walk out the gate (with his mail) and take it back to the office and your manager.
You don't have to put up with this. Have a word with your Rep as well, keep them in the picture also.
But if you feel threatened again by him just walk out the gate (with his mail) and take it back to the office and your manager.
You don't have to put up with this. Have a word with your Rep as well, keep them in the picture also.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
'Difficult' customer.
ignore him and if he snatches post or threatens you call 999 straight awayAmethyst1978 wrote:A few months ago a customer on one of the duties I cover had a go at me. The day before he had a Special Delivery letter. I knocked and rang the doorbell 3 times, got no answer so left a 739 and returned the letter to the office. The following day he came out of his house waving the card demanding to know what had happened. When I explained, he accused me of lying, saying that he and his wife had been sitting in the kitchen and had I rang or knocked they would have heard and that this was terrible service! I apologised profusely, but explained that I had knocked and rang so what else could I do? In the end he was getting quite nasty so I told him it was not my fault they didn’t answer the door and walked away. I was so shocked I actually got quite upset afterwards. Luckily one of the neighbours had seen everything and told me is horrible to everyone and not to let him upset me. I reported the incident to my line manager who sent him a warning letter.
Fast forward to this week, and I am back on this duty after a few weeks on other duties. He obviously realised I was back and has been standing on the other side of his door watching me put the post through. On Tuesday just as I got to the door, he opened it and snatched the post from my hand! He then accused me again of being a liar, only this time he was referring to the warning letter. He said that I had shouted at him and he had a witness. I told him I did as well and walked off, though I will admit I called him pathetic because I was so annoyed. I reported this to the DOM and he said he will sort it.
I’m just worried now that I am going to keep getting grief off this man all because I was doing my job. He is absolutely fine with the other posties, he just seems to have taken a dislike to me. I have no problems with any other customers and I always knock and ring several times especially with SD’s. Should I just ignore him or refuse to deliver to his house? I’m hoping they are going to suspend his mail, but it was my day off today so not sure what the DOM did to sort it.
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
'Difficult' customer.
Honestly what the f**k is wrong with some people. We don’t like carrying extra parcels around, we don’t like taking stuff back or writing cards out. It doesn’t benefit us at all to NOT knock.
Usually the manager would go to that customers house and have a word with them. I’d flat out say due to the abuse and aggressive behaviour I can’t deliver to them. They’d then have to collect mail from the office. Lovely stuff.
Usually the manager would go to that customers house and have a word with them. I’d flat out say due to the abuse and aggressive behaviour I can’t deliver to them. They’d then have to collect mail from the office. Lovely stuff.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
'Difficult' customer.
Difficult customers are actually funny don't worry