ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

SWW

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Whysoslowyehcfc
Posts: 238
Joined: 02 Apr 2014, 15:57
Gender: Male

SWW

Post by Whysoslowyehcfc »

One question - is it working in your office
Times have had to be changed in my office, as from next week, because they are struggling to lay the part timers work in

Area rep has said to me "he can't see how it's going to work when they take the next hour off"

It looked good on paper at the time
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

SWW

Post by arnold cheshire »

It needs scrapping and go for a better pay rise
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

SWW

Post by Seymour Buts »

arnold cheshire wrote:It needs scrapping and go for a better pay rise
Correct. Or at least delayed untill automisation actually starts taking working hours. Currently we're just expected to do exactly the same in less time!
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

SWW

Post by glenfiddich »

We're doing more work in less time now as we're now down to do ips where as before we didn't
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

SWW

Post by Murdoch »

It's worked for me in the sense that I'm on a part-time contract, covering mostly FT duties, so it gives them less opportunity to pay me less than the duty holder would get.

You could count on one hand the number of times I got paid 39 hours a week when covering FT duties.
JKSmudge
Posts: 395
Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 13:39
Gender: Male

SWW

Post by JKSmudge »

Pity our illustrious leaders didn't ask the membership about the SWW before negotiating for it. Wonder if they are still going to push for 35 hours when so many struggling with 38...... :arrrghhh
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

SWW

Post by Seymour Buts »

Murdoch wrote:It's worked for me in the sense that I'm on a part-time contract, covering mostly FT duties, so it gives them less opportunity to pay me less than the duty holder would get.

You could count on one hand the number of times I got paid 39 hours a week when covering FT duties.
I don't really understand this, there's no such thing as full time duties in our office. There's just duties!
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

SWW

Post by chickenwittle »

Are people actually moaning about working less hours for the same money as when we worked 39 hours ?
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

SWW

Post by Murdoch »

postietom wrote: I don't really understand this, there's no such thing as full time duties in our office. There's just duties!
What needs clarifying?
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

SWW

Post by aiden01 »

postietom wrote:
Murdoch wrote:It's worked for me in the sense that I'm on a part-time contract, covering mostly FT duties, so it gives them less opportunity to pay me less than the duty holder would get.

You could count on one hand the number of times I got paid 39 hours a week when covering FT duties.
I don't really understand this, there's no such thing as full time duties in our office. There's just duties!
Surely there is ft an pt duties.
Phantom
Posts: 1234
Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
Gender: Female
Location: New York

SWW

Post by Phantom »

You all need to speak to your rep regarding more pt staff being made up to ft, this will offset the workload.
CUT OFF!!!
fed_up_postie
Posts: 154
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: lost in space

SWW

Post by fed_up_postie »

chickenwittle wrote:Are people actually moaning about working less hours for the same money as when we worked 39 hours ?
I don't think people are moaning about working less hours for the same money they are moaning that they are still doing the same work but in less time and some offices cant cope
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

SWW

Post by postmanzach »

fed_up_postie wrote:
chickenwittle wrote:Are people actually moaning about working less hours for the same money as when we worked 39 hours ?
I don't think people are moaning about working less hours for the same money they are moaning that they are still doing the same work but in less time and some offices cant cope
but if you go over you book it, so you get paid even more. The only people it hurts is Royal Mail and the runners that get done early.

We have too many guys that don’t want the overtime but wont cut off so stay out late nearly everyday to finish. Try telling them to cut off but they won’t do it, they feel obligated. I’m usually happy to have the overtime so would really like it if they did start cutting off.

I agree the sww is silly until more automation comes in, makes no sense having more work in less time.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

SWW

Post by Seymour Buts »

aiden01 wrote:
postietom wrote:
Murdoch wrote:It's worked for me in the sense that I'm on a part-time contract, covering mostly FT duties, so it gives them less opportunity to pay me less than the duty holder would get.

You could count on one hand the number of times I got paid 39 hours a week when covering FT duties.
I don't really understand this, there's no such thing as full time duties in our office. There's just duties!
Surely there is ft an pt duties.
No, I cover all types of duties but my hours never change. I just get another 30 minutes prep time on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

SWW

Post by postmanzach »

That’s odd, I think most offices have part time duties, where the duty time is perhaps a 830 start the Mail is thrown off ypynjust pick it up and go. Or the walking part of the round is much smaller.