ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Ring Bells..........Do You

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DICKIEG
Posts: 158
Joined: 27 Jun 2011, 19:07
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by DICKIEG »

There are a lot of houses with these new Ring Bells ( the ones that film you when you ring them). I never ring them I knock on the door as I don't want to be filmed, out of interest does anybody else not ring them. And do we have to ring them
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

Our office has been told not to use them as we only speak face to face with customers
A2B
Posts: 2029
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by A2B »

I think they have a motion sensor and record as soon as it's triggered so you are being filmed even if you don't ring the bell
Pancake123
Posts: 34
Joined: 06 Nov 2018, 06:58
Gender: Female

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by Pancake123 »

Personally I never use them. I dont wanna listen ( and waste my time) customer’s moaning ,asking to go to neighbor No 5 or to No 10 which is opposite side if the No 5 is not answering ....etc Or explaining them that I cannot leave the parcel in a safeplace ,they simply dont get it.
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by centenaryman »

A2B wrote:I think they have a motion sensor and record as soon as it's triggered so you are being filmed even if you don't ring the bell
that would make sense as a couple of the rings on mine make a noise as I approach
I do use them as a last resort...knock 1st then use them if theres no answer
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by Woody Guthrie »

I don't ring doorbells period.
Too many don't work or aren't loud enough to hear in the house.
A good hard three rap on the letterbox will wake the dead.
Only dead fish follow the current
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Well that's a new one. I've not encountered these New Camera/Bells yet. :shock: I work on the basis of: Try the Bell... and then regardless I give the door a good bang... with the PDA! No bruised knuckles for me. :thumbup Sometimes you'll get someone saying, "My doorbell does work you know"? but I'll just tell them "Force of habit mate". :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by Murdoch »

I try to avoid them as much as possible, but they're becoming more and more pervasive.

I just read an artile earlier today that suggests some new models will be fitted with sensors that pick up when a door is knocked on. They're becoming more and more intrusive, the big tech giants are clearly data mining people's front doors now.

What concerns me is the privacy aspect. As soon as the data is uploaded across to the US, what they do with the data is pretty much upto them, facial regognition, profiling, whatever, and nobody that buys these things cares about privacy, as they spend half their lives posting s**t on Facebook.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by SpacePhoenix »

I wouldn't be surprised to see them become standard for blocks of flats eventually
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I have a few on my walk. The funny thing is not one has ever spoke to me through them. They are a con also, to get the full features you need to pay a monthly subscription. Cheapest is 2.50 a month. That probably explains why none talks to me through them.
A2B
Posts: 2029
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by A2B »

CPTNemoUK wrote:I have a few on my walk. The funny thing is not one has ever spoke to me through them. They are a con also, to get the full features you need to pay a monthly subscription. Cheapest is 2.50 a month. That probably explains why none talks to me through them.
They probably have but the speaker is so weak you can hardly hear it, one of my customers has taken his down already saying it was useless
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by LaggyBand »

I use them and to be honest I’m happy to.

If they ask me to deliver to neighbour and the PDA allows me to, I do, and put a card through.

If they ask me to do something dodgy, I say “I can’t, especially when you have video evidence of me doing it”.

Not one person yet has argued against that line.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by Seymour Buts »

DICKIEG wrote:There are a lot of houses with these new Ring Bells ( the ones that film you when you ring them). I never ring them I knock on the door as I don't want to be filmed, out of interest does anybody else not ring them. And do we have to ring them
Depending on the setting they're on they record you regardless of if you press it or not. I don't use them, saves on the row when they ask you to sign for it or door step it. Make sure you follow procedure and try a next door; they have video evidence if you don't!
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by aiden01 »

postietom wrote:
DICKIEG wrote:There are a lot of houses with these new Ring Bells ( the ones that film you when you ring them). I never ring them I knock on the door as I don't want to be filmed, out of interest does anybody else not ring them. And do we have to ring them
Depending on the setting they're on they record you regardless of if you press it or not. I don't use them, saves on the row when they ask you to sign for it or door step it. Make sure you follow procedure and try a next door; they have video evidence if you don't!
What if on a rural an next door is a mile away does it still record :cuppa
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by chickenwittle »

LaggyBand wrote:I use them and to be honest I’m happy to.

If they ask me to deliver to neighbour and the PDA allows me to, I do, and put a card through.

If they ask me to do something dodgy, I say “I can’t, especially when you have video evidence of me doing it”.

Not one person yet has argued against that line.
THIS , it’s no big deal some people need to move with the times .