ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Trial Report

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cmjl
Posts: 5
Joined: 16 Jun 2018, 19:24
Gender: Male

Trial Report

Post by cmjl »

Hi All,
Came into work today and was asked to have a one year meeting with my manager.
Was given a document called a trial report that I've never seen in my 11 months with RM.
Did not have a probation review - assumed I just passed as salary went up
At the end of the meeting manager said I hadn't passed this 'trial' and they have extended for a month.
Is this my probation review? I have no idea - any help would be appreciated as all of a sudden I'm feeling like my job is at risk
Thanks!
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

Trial Report

Post by The Postman »

cmjl wrote:Hi All,
Came into work today and was asked to have a one year meeting with my manager.
Was given a document called a trial report that I've never seen in my 11 months with RM.
Did not have a probation review - assumed I just passed as salary went up
At the end of the meeting manager said I hadn't passed this 'trial' and they have extended for a month.
Is this my probation review? I have no idea - any help would be appreciated as all of a sudden I'm feeling like my job is at risk
Thanks!
There’s 2 pay increase increments, 1 at 6 months, the other at 12 months. Presumably they mean you won’t receive your 1 year increase until your 13 months in. I thought the trial was only for the first 6 months though, did they give a reason?

To be fair if you pay into your pension you won’t see an increase in pay anyway as your contributions go from 1% in your first 6 months to 6% thereafter which works out about the same. However come to think of it you may see a 5% reduction in your 53rd wage onwards because of this.
cmjl
Posts: 5
Joined: 16 Jun 2018, 19:24
Gender: Male

Trial Report

Post by cmjl »

The Postman wrote:
cmjl wrote:Hi All,
Came into work today and was asked to have a one year meeting with my manager.
Was given a document called a trial report that I've never seen in my 11 months with RM.
Did not have a probation review - assumed I just passed as salary went up
At the end of the meeting manager said I hadn't passed this 'trial' and they have extended for a month.
Is this my probation review? I have no idea - any help would be appreciated as all of a sudden I'm feeling like my job is at risk
Thanks!
There’s 2 pay increase increments, 1 at 6 months, the other at 12 months. Presumably they mean you won’t receive your 1 year increase until your 13 months in. I thought the trial was only for the first 6 months though, did they give a reason?

To be fair if you pay into your pension you won’t see an increase in pay anyway as your contributions go from 1% in your first 6 months to 6% thereafter which works out about the same. However come to think of it you may see a 5% reduction in your 53rd wage onwards because of this.

Thank you for your response.
No my manager never gave a reason just mentioned that we needed to meet as I was reaching my one years service (which is actually end of January) and then gave me a trial report stating I hadn't met certain aspects of my role and it would be reviewed in a months time with me having 'additional training'.
It seemed a bit weird being given this now though - I refused to sign it though because I did not understand why I was being given it now.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Trial Report

Post by greengiant »

Did your manager say what aspects of your role you are not meeting? Did your manager say what additional training would be given and when and by who?
If you are a union member what does your union rep make of this?
cmjl
Posts: 5
Joined: 16 Jun 2018, 19:24
Gender: Male

Trial Report

Post by cmjl »

greengiant wrote:Did your manager say what aspects of your role you are not meeting? Did your manager say what additional training would be given and when and by who?
If you are a union member what does your union rep make of this?
Most of the trial had stated I had not met - attendance, conduct, work performance, ability to work with colleagues however all the comment / actions were blank.
In additional comments it simply stated re-training and review in one month.
To be fair I don't have the best working relationship with my manager or DOM so feel like this is quite targeted.
Date for review has also been set for when both myself and my manager are on a/l - manager is actually now on leave until review date.
My initial thought is that this is something that should have been done at the 6 month mark and now they are trying to backtrack.
Can I even still be 'on trial' after my initial probation period?
I haven't spoken to the union rep as of yet.
cmjl
Posts: 5
Joined: 16 Jun 2018, 19:24
Gender: Male

Trial Report

Post by cmjl »

Anyone got any advice in regards to this?
Really anxious about going into work tomorrow.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Trial Report

Post by greengiant »

cmjl wrote:Anyone got any advice in regards to this?
Really anxious about going into work tomorrow.
I would certainly speak to your union rep about this.

I shouldn't worry too much, ive known people in their probation period lose special deliveries or write vans off and they were still kept on.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Trial Report

Post by Interested-seeker »

cmjl wrote:Anyone got any advice in regards to this?
Really anxious about going into work tomorrow.
How did you get on? To be honest, it doesn't sound good :(

Hope you are okay
FacesOfStone
Posts: 112
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 21:52
Gender: Male

Trial Report

Post by FacesOfStone »

As has been stated previously, definitely speak to your union rep. I’d also check your contact for details on the trial period - mine specified six months, and I was of the impression that was the same for everyone. I know that, strictly speaking, an employer can get rid of you for any sort of confected reason until you’ve been there more than two years, but a lot of big companies have their own procedures that managers have to follow, as much as they might not want to.
cmjl
Posts: 5
Joined: 16 Jun 2018, 19:24
Gender: Male

Trial Report

Post by cmjl »

Hi All
Thank you for your responses
I am planning to speak to my union rep tomorrow as I thought best to dig through my paper work to find my offer of employment so I could check my trial period.
As i suspected my trial period on my offer letter was 6 months which leaves the question of why my manager is trying to extend my trial now after 11 months service.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Trial Report

Post by greengiant »

cmjl wrote:Hi All
Thank you for your responses
I am planning to speak to my union rep tomorrow as I thought best to dig through my paper work to find my offer of employment so I could check my trial period.
As i suspected my trial period on my offer letter was 6 months which leaves the question of why my manager is trying to extend my trial now after 11 months service.
It sounds to me that your manager is just on an ego / power trip. I'm sure your union rep will back you up on this.