ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA issues

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
geordieboy123
Posts: 384
Joined: 06 Nov 2014, 17:35
Gender: Female

PDA issues

Post by geordieboy123 »

Has anyone had their pda repaired ie broken strap or general malfunctioning? If so what is the procedure and how long was the turnaround? and can anyone advise me how to adjust the brightness? I thank you in anticipation
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

PDA issues

Post by Tinoblade »

geordieboy123 wrote:Has anyone had their pda repaired ie broken strap or general malfunctioning? If so what is the procedure and how long was the turnaround? and can anyone advise me how to adjust the brightness? I thank you in anticipation
For the brightness. When the screen is locked (black), press the power button so it lights up and shows the time, slide your finger down from the top and there is a blue bar with a cog next to it. Put this as far over to the right as poss
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

PDA issues

Post by Tinoblade »

Another one to add on the pda as it always used to stump me. Sometimes it doesn’t lock using the power button, when it does this press the circular button at the bottom right of the pda and it should lock again
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

PDA issues

Post by fb1969 »

The screen on mine shattered so I gave it to a manager, they sent it off and a replacement arrived the next morning by SD. Have had a couple of straps replaced just by asking a manager, both times there were spares in the office but I doubt they have any/many left by now.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

PDA issues

Post by SpacePhoenix »

In MCs the main issue is the finger scanners which nearly all of them are knackered. I don't think they were design for the volume of items we put through
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDA issues

Post by Celgar »

Your office should have spare fully charged batteries, a few spare PDAs, and some spare straps and styluses. DOM or PHG should be able to fix most PDA problems for you.
I may be incorrect but I think we have just had another PDA update which saves battery power by dimming the screen most of time when it is not in use.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

PDA issues

Post by 97gaz »

O
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDA issues

Post by Celgar »

Straps are not of that much use anyway but you do really need the stylus. Stylus tends to confuse the customers though and some ask which end to use etc.
Following the the use of the RM shoulder holster initiating an infection which resulted in a hospital operation I am back to holding multiple things in my hands. The PDA is getting dropped on the ground but they are quite tough and, touchwood, the screen hasn't been damaged yet. Haven't got around to asking for one of the other type of holster yet that affixes to your trouser belt I think.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.