ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Murdoch »

How do you guys deal with this?

Especially on rounds / offices where the posties that have been there for decades still do it, no matter how many times they've been told not to.

To the point where their customers expect it
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by danterossetti »

I deal with this by explaining to the customer that I am not allowed to sign for them.
Natagora
Posts: 37
Joined: 05 Oct 2011, 18:35
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Natagora »

If it’s an agreement between customer and postman, and the postman is 100% sure that the item is going to the correct address, then fine, just post it through. Being on a round for some time gives you the chance to strike up a bond with customers, and the last thing they want when they get home is a slip telling them to go to the delivery office to collect something that would have easily gone through the letterbox. I’ve been on my currrent round for over two years now, and post specials and recorded stuff literally every day. The customers appreciate me doing this! If it’s someone I don’t know then obviously play it safe and leave a card but that’s very rare.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Seymour Buts »

"If I do and it goes missing ill get sacked" I just tell people. That's not actually the case in my office it would appear, but I still ain't taking the risk.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Murdoch »

danterossetti wrote:I deal with this by explaining to the customer that I am not allowed to sign for them.
Problem is, customers don't seem to beleive that, due to the post directly below yours.
Last edited by Murdoch on 23 Dec 2018, 16:34, edited 2 times in total.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by ted_e_bear »

If I were you I wouldn't do it, it happens at our place especially on the more rural duties,just remember if a complaint arises it could be a really innocent missunderstanding such as you sign for an item and someone else living at the house moves it then goes out so the recipient thinks it's not arrived then you can be in real trouble.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Seymour Buts »

Natagora wrote:If it’s an agreement between customer and postman, and the postman is 100% sure that the item is going to the correct address, then fine, just post it through. Being on a round for some time gives you the chance to strike up a bond with customers, and the last thing they want when they get home is a slip telling them to go to the delivery office to collect something that would have easily gone through the letterbox. I’ve been on my currrent round for over two years now, and post specials and recorded stuff literally every day. The customers appreciate me doing this! If it’s someone I don’t know then obviously play it safe and leave a card but that’s very rare.
You're mad to do it with specials, 5 grands worth of US dollars I delivered last week. Say you signed for them and posted 'em, be very easy for said person to think 'I fancy doubling my holiday spends.'
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Seymour Buts »

You've just got to be strong about it, ultimately if you have a duty and clear you're not doing it then they'll stop asking. It's like PPI paperwork on collections, I refuse to collect without paperwork, the customer plays their face and says 'x does though' but I just say x shouldn't and I am not.
Natagora
Posts: 37
Joined: 05 Oct 2011, 18:35
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Natagora »

grchpo wrote:If you sign for something what name & Sig do you use, your name, customer name or their name & sign delivered
Their name, and just put a scribble on the PDA.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Murdoch »

postietom wrote: You're mad to do it with specials, 5 grands worth of US dollars I delivered last week. Say you signed for them and posted 'em, be very easy for said person to think 'I fancy doubling my holiday spends.'
Especially nowadays!!!

I regularly get an email showing my signature 2 minutes after I've signed for something delivered to my own house. You're leaving yourself wide open, if you sign for s**t all the time, it's idiotic.

I hate that many Posties still act like it's 1975, and a blind eye is turned by management until somebody makes an official complaint via customer servcices...
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by rambo1 »

Natagora wrote:
grchpo wrote:If you sign for something what name & Sig do you use, your name, customer name or their name & sign delivered
Their name, and just put a scribble on the PDA.
That is illegal. You are crazy to do that. Obviously don't value your job.
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Ozzvaldo »

I wouldn't take the attitude that you're doing the recipients a favour by signing for SDs/Signed Fors/Tracked. Some of them will drop you in the clarts if there's any misunderstanding. We had a guy with nearly 40 years service (No 1 on seniority) sacked for signing for an SD and when confusion arose on the part of the recipient and he phoned the office to clear up what had happened with the item, RM were delighted to swing the axe on him. He then had the pleasant task of explaining to his family why he was suddenly out of a job, at the age of 58, that he'd performed for his entire working life.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by LaggyBand »

Like Biggie said, keep yo family and business completely separated;

Go work, take no risks, and go home to your family.
Natagora
Posts: 37
Joined: 05 Oct 2011, 18:35
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by Natagora »

rambo1 wrote:
Natagora wrote:
grchpo wrote:If you sign for something what name & Sig do you use, your name, customer name or their name & sign delivered
Their name, and just put a scribble on the PDA.
That is illegal. You are crazy to do that. Obviously don't value your job.
I’ve got the customer’s permission, they want me to do this, and I’m happy to oblige. You can’t just do this job to the letter, it’s best to use some common sense and trust. £160 in tips, a £10 Costa Coffee voucher, a decent bottle of red and an antique handwritten letter dated 1847. Still one day to go! These gifts/money are miles better than anyone else in my office has received and that’s because my customers think I’m doing a superb job for them.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Customers asking (insisting) you sign for things?

Post by LaggyBand »

Natagora wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
Natagora wrote:
grchpo wrote:If you sign for something what name & Sig do you use, your name, customer name or their name & sign delivered
Their name, and just put a scribble on the PDA.
That is illegal. You are crazy to do that. Obviously don't value your job.
I’ve got the customer’s permission, they want me to do this, and I’m happy to oblige. You can’t just do this job to the letter, it’s best to use some common sense and trust. £160 in tips, a £10 Costa Coffee voucher, a decent bottle of red and an antique handwritten letter dated 1847. Still one day to go! These gifts/money are miles better than anyone else in my office has received and that’s because my customers think I’m doing a superb job for them.
Customer is the sender, terms are they want recipients signature, not yours, breach breach breach,