Hi everyone hope you all are enjoying your Sunday. So I'm 2 months in on a 30 hour contract and enjoy the job once I've started my walk (apart from the giant Christmas reefs that cover the letterboxes) The only thing is finishing late. I'm on a training walk with my coach and I'm the driver. The walk is one of the heaviest and longest walks in the office and takes me 5 hours on a heavy day (4 on a normal day) the main problem is leaving the office late. We are literally the last to leave the office every morning. As I wanted to finish my walk I would stay out late...manager asked if I go full time over the Christmas, as they don't want to pay overtime for extended delivery. Me like a fool agreed only to find no change on my payslip with no over time so I went back to my normal hours. When I get in at 8.30 I have loads of letters to throw in the frame, 4-5 sacks of packets/parcels...redirections, d2ds tie up and load up and they expect me to all that in an hour? Is that even possible??? We leave at around 10.30, it's an half an hour drive, by the time I drop my coach to do their reg, do the collections I don't get started on my walk til 11.30-12. The last week of school had no after school club so I told them I need to cut off on time. They said do what I can so I cut off and the coach done the rest but when they couldn't I brought back the mail. But then I had to throw the mail back in the frame the next day. I complained again so they started to give some of my walk to the spare. Coach says I need to speed up and stop complaining as I'm being watched and wont pass probation and none of the posties she trained complaine.
I have made a few mistakes due to rushing and don't want to make any more. Any advice? Should I just put up and shut up?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Worried about passing probation
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Worried about passing probation
Well first your coach, pretty much all they are is some postie who fancied an easy £30+ extra a week. Most of their time they do f**k all for their money. We have two, one too many as one is just about OK, the other, well the least said about that the better. Go see the rep, if you want a better chance of a fair hearing. Tell them your concerns, what you were told by the coach and ask what can be done. EVERYBODY was slow to start off with, coupled with being on a heavy walk at this time of year no wonder you're going over your time. Ok honest opinion time so take it for what it is opinion shaped by my own experiences from when I was a new starter. Suck it up as much as you can, if it's too much then you're passed your limit. each has their own. We have had the most inept arseholes make it through probationary period your coach SOUNDS like a self serving cow, if the training walk is her usual walk she's possibly trying to turn you into what she thinks will benefit HER, someone who will jump through hoops, take shortcuts etc to keep the late finishes to a minimum, She needs s foot up her arse by the sounds of it
Well that was a mess of an answer so here are the bullet points
Your coach sounds a right cow
Go see the rep and tell them what is going on
Xmas is nearly over, things should settle down
You probably wont be on this walk for much longer
We have had fuckwits crash into two vans in front of the boss and deny it and still pass probationary period, being slow at first isn't going to get you the elbow.
I reiterate, your coach sounds like a right cow.
Well that was a mess of an answer so here are the bullet points
Your coach sounds a right cow
Go see the rep and tell them what is going on
Xmas is nearly over, things should settle down
You probably wont be on this walk for much longer
We have had fuckwits crash into two vans in front of the boss and deny it and still pass probationary period, being slow at first isn't going to get you the elbow.
I reiterate, your coach sounds like a right cow.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
Joe B
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 01 Dec 2017, 14:03
- Gender: Male
Worried about passing probation
Completely agree with Sir Henry. Make sure you join the union it's about £2.50 a week. I want you to remember that you're not doing any worse than anybody else, especially two months in, and at this time of year.
-
Seagull1983
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 109
- Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
- Gender: Male
Worried about passing probation
Ffcucucuc
Last edited by Seagull1983 on 04 Mar 2020, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.
-
Tomolo208
- Posts: 102
- Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
- Gender: Male
Worried about passing probation
You'll be fine! Ask the union about your pay, because it sounds like you've been underpaid.
It's very common for new starters to not be paid properly so managers can get their bonuses. It is completely unacceptable, don't feel like you have to be pressured in to working for free.
Offices are so short staffed that someone not passing probation is basically unheard of. I've met and worked with some terrible posties, you'll get better at the prep and then you'll be fine.
Remember, Xmas is our busiest time of year. Full timers aren't expected to finish on time - so why should you be?
Some of our new starters have been finishing 3 hours over every day, so you really dont sound like a bad employee.
Chin up, things get better.
It's very common for new starters to not be paid properly so managers can get their bonuses. It is completely unacceptable, don't feel like you have to be pressured in to working for free.
Offices are so short staffed that someone not passing probation is basically unheard of. I've met and worked with some terrible posties, you'll get better at the prep and then you'll be fine.
Remember, Xmas is our busiest time of year. Full timers aren't expected to finish on time - so why should you be?
Some of our new starters have been finishing 3 hours over every day, so you really dont sound like a bad employee.
Chin up, things get better.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Worried about passing probation
Sounds like you've been stitched up and put on the worst duty in the office to be honest. Tell management you need extra prep, if you can get in earlier offer to do it yourself if not you need somebody to prep for you. You need a FULL PREP which means everything is done by 8:30; you just band it up. If you allow them to take advantage like they are that's exactly what they'll do till you say something. Sounds like you coach is crap as well.
Don't worry about the probation, I've literally never saw anybody not taken on. Our office has just made permanent a lady who it appears to me is useless, frankly. They've also made perm a bloke that missed about 3 of the first 6 months on his probation.
Don't worry about the probation, I've literally never saw anybody not taken on. Our office has just made permanent a lady who it appears to me is useless, frankly. They've also made perm a bloke that missed about 3 of the first 6 months on his probation.
-
ted_e_bear
- Posts: 4110
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Worried about passing probation
I agree with the other replies sounds like you've been dumped right in the deep end with no chance of being able to cope, anyway sounds to me as though you're doing fine work wise.
Oh final point yes I reckon no chance that you won't pass your probation period, to be frank you'd probably have to s**t on the managers desk and shag his wife before you'd get sacked, and even then offering to do someone's cut off would probably get you reinstated !
Oh final point yes I reckon no chance that you won't pass your probation period, to be frank you'd probably have to s**t on the managers desk and shag his wife before you'd get sacked, and even then offering to do someone's cut off would probably get you reinstated !
-
Indigo
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 17 Dec 2018, 18:58
- Gender: Female
Worried about passing probation
Thank you all so much for your input I felt so much better! I have been going in at 6.42 and out the door at 9...its been very light this week to be fair. My walk is a vacant one that new starters take and van share with the coach. I spoke to my manager about having my frame prepped he said my coach is supposed to double prep...wont hold my breath lol. The good news is next week someones coming to take 25% off the walk! Plus I got loads of tips and well wishes it's a nice end to a horrific few months! Anyways hope you all had a lovely Christmas break
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Worried about passing probation
Xmas is over, it should be all gravy now in comparison. Still, keep your rep updated so they can keep an eye on things.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Worried about passing probation
Sounds like you are doing your best & that's all any of us can be expected to do. Join the union and you will be unlucky to be thrown out. We are past Xmas now and the word 'lapsing' is starting to rear it's ugly head.........
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.