ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

6 hour deliveries

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Gasman11
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
Gender: Male

6 hour deliveries

Post by Gasman11 »

Every day this week has been a 6 hour slog to get finished. No way could your body cope with that week in, week out if the business extended delivery times on a permanent basis. Almost falling asleep from midday onwards today.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

6 hour deliveries

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Gasman11 wrote:Every day this week has been a 6 hour slog to get finished. No way could your body cope with that week in, week out if the business extended delivery times on a permanent basis. Almost falling asleep from midday onwards today.
Realistically isn't it going to end up being a choice of that or all DO staff becoming part-time?
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

6 hour deliveries

Post by DGH »

SpacePhoenix wrote: Realistically isn't it going to end up being a choice of that or all DO staff becoming part-time?
Yes.

Probably an ideal situation for RM would be to have all staff on 24 hours per week but with a contractual obligation to work up to an extra two hours per day if required.
Gasman11
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
Gender: Male

6 hour deliveries

Post by Gasman11 »

Doing 6 hour deliveries because of Christmas pressure is one thing, doing it day in, day out, year in, year out is not possible in my opinion.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

6 hour deliveries

Post by Brandy »

How can they honestly expect you to be out for six hours in all weathers goes beyond me.I can remember years ago we were told that posties shouldnt be out for over three to three and a half hours at a time,ok I know it was when we had second deliverys,but six hours :d'oh!
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

6 hour deliveries

Post by postmanzach »

We have had 6 hour deliveries for a few years now. Just take food, don’t run, it’s fine. We got longer weekends in return so every 4 weeks you get Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday off. It’s great 99% of the office love it and wouldn’t go back to shorter days.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

6 hour deliveries

Post by postmanzach »

Trouble is when older guys maybe take 7 hours and younger guys can do it in 4.
One of our fastest posties is an older lady. No idea how she’s so fast but she does a 6 hour delivery in 4-5 hours or less every day. Manager doesn’t put more work on her despite ‘pda ACTUALS’ because he knows anyone else would take them 6 hours.
I don’t think our rounds are that much bigger than other offices, we just don’t have too
Many idiot runners so we get a fairer time to complete in.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

6 hour deliveries

Post by rambo1 »

postmanzach wrote:We have had 6 hour deliveries for a few years now. Just take food, don’t run, it’s fine. We got longer weekends in return so every 4 weeks you get Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday off. It’s great 99% of the office love it and wouldn’t go back to shorter days.
You will love it. I did. Unfortunately you also will go back to one in six. Make the most of it while it lasts.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

6 hour deliveries

Post by postmanzach »

rambo1 wrote:
postmanzach wrote:We have had 6 hour deliveries for a few years now. Just take food, don’t run, it’s fine. We got longer weekends in return so every 4 weeks you get Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday off. It’s great 99% of the office love it and wouldn’t go back to shorter days.
You will love it. I did. Unfortunately you also will go back to one in six. Make the most of it while it lasts.
Yeah why you say that? We have been doing it for years with no problems.
ewancurze
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
Gender: Male

6 hour deliveries

Post by ewancurze »

I think there is a policy, not openly talked about, to get rid of the longer 4 day duties, they were all put back to 1 in 6's in our office against the wishes of the duty holders. The union rep said there was nothing he could do or he agreed with the change.....I am not sure which it was as it didn't affect me and there was a lot of rumours.
I have a rest week duty, I expect they will come for that next.
ripio
Posts: 233
Joined: 06 Sep 2008, 23:32
Gender: Male

6 hour deliveries

Post by ripio »

Surely a 6 hour delivery would have to have a statutory 20 minute break built into it, which would require a return to base for toilet facilities. Taking a break in the van is not really a proper break and you have no way of washing hands after handling all the dirty mail, etc.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

6 hour deliveries

Post by aiden01 »

ewancurze wrote:I think there is a policy, not openly talked about, to get rid of the longer 4 day duties, they were all put back to 1 in 6's in our office against the wishes of the duty holders. The union rep said there was nothing he could do or he agreed with the change.....I am not sure which it was as it didn't affect me and there was a lot of rumours.
I have a rest week duty, I expect they will come for that next.
Going for the 4 day weeks in our mc bigtime want everyone back to 5 day week.
ewancurze
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
Gender: Male

6 hour deliveries

Post by ewancurze »

Yep, so much for innovative duty structures.
I reckon this comes from the top, get rid of 4 day dutys etc on an office by office strategy and hope that no one notices the overall plan.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

6 hour deliveries

Post by postmanzach »

ewancurze wrote:I think there is a policy, not openly talked about, to get rid of the longer 4 day duties, they were all put back to 1 in 6's in our office against the wishes of the duty holders. The union rep said there was nothing he could do or he agreed with the change.....I am not sure which it was as it didn't affect me and there was a lot of rumours.
I have a rest week duty, I expect they will come for that next.
Well I’m pretty sure it’s illegal for the management to make changes without it being agreed. We shall be keeping our long weekends otherwise I’m pretty sure 90% the office would quit.
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

6 hour deliveries

Post by deltaforce »

Nothing illegal about it. They can consult , give notice, agree or disagree but nothing in law, unless you have a specific contract to the contrary.