ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Delivering parcels and packets

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by p5aul789 »

Who else gets fed up with delivering parcels and packets especially at this busy time and having to decide whether the person is as home or not?

You knock or ring and wait, and then decide that the person's not in. So you start to write out a 739, and guess what? They answer the door! So you tear the card up in disgust.

It's easier is it not? To throw the parcel over a side gate or fence, or back garden fence if accessible, or leave in a secluded place, and simply put a card through the door stating where the parcel or packet is. Irrespective of whether the home owner is in or not!

I threw three packets over a solid wooden side gate the other day because the women was'nt in. Perfectly safe, with no chance of them being seen. I thought I was doing the women and favour. But she complained to the DO accusing me of doorstepping.

By the way, I use the term "Throw" lightly! I prefer the term postion!

In this job, half the public are decent, the other half can go and f**k themselves.
Last edited by p5aul789 on 21 Dec 2018, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by yellowbelly »

p5aul789 wrote: I threw three packets over a solid wooden side gate the other day because the women was'nt in. Perfectly safe, with no chance of them being seen. I thought I was doing the women and favour. But she complained to the DO accusing me of doorstepping.
Can understand your frustration but who knows what's over the other side of that fence - glass plant propagators, ornamental garden, pond, rabbit run that could
all be damaged? Hard standing that parcel contents could get damaged by if you drop them on it? Are the packages waterproof or boxes that could get really
soggy if it starts raining? Are the owners away for Xmas and the parcels could sit in the garden for two weeks? In this scenario 739 all the time for me.......
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by greengiant »

p5aul789 wrote:Who else gets fed up with delivering parcels and packets especially at this busy time and having to decide whether the person is as home or not?

You knock or ring and wait, and then decide that the person's not in. So you start to write out a 739, and guess what? They answer the door! So you tear the card up in disgust.

It's easier is it not? To throw the parcel over a side gate or fence, or back garden fence if accessible, or leave in a secluded place, and simply put a card through the door stating where the parcel or packet is. Irrespective of whether the home owner is in or not!

I threw three packets over a solid wooden side gate the other day because the women was'nt in. Perfectly safe, with no chance of them being seen. I thought I was doing the women and favour. But she complained to the DO accusing me of doorstepping.

In this job, half the public are decent, the other half can go and f**k themselves.

Would you like your own parcels to be lobbed over a garden fence, risking them getting damaged? I'm sure you'd be the first to complain if another courier did that, and damaged your expensive electronic equipment when you had ordered online as an example.
How do you know the residents hadn't actually gone away for the festive period? :no no I suppose the next thing will be for OPGs to not bother to spend the time to post the letters through the letterbox, and instead just throw the over the garden fence in the general direction of the door.....
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by Sir Henry »

Remember the one about the guy who got in bother cos the old dear he did a favour for by leaving a parcel insecurely? She wrote in to thank him......
I am often pulled up by the screws about complaints from punters re leaving parcels, if I judge it insecure it goes back no matter who leaves a note as to where they deem a suitable safeplace to be. Your job is safe the parcel is safe the customer doesn't lose out.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by p5aul789 »

To Greengiant and Yellowbelly. I use my discretion.

Yes being rained on is a problem. I don't leave if raining or threat of rain.

I don't lob the parcels over a fence or gate, I try to drop with the utmost of care. In addition, the parcels have been all the way through the system and been thrown around here there and everywhere. So I hardly think a drop over a fence or gate will harm. You are right the parcel could fall on something, but again, I try and use discretion and certainly would be wary of anything heavy.

Also the packets should be packed correctly, if the contents are in any danger of being damaged. If I deem a place to be secure, i.e. hidden well behind a plant pot, I will leave it there. If I am not happy with the location, I will bring it back.

Green Giant regarding not posting letters. That is not my gripe....you are just being daft!
Last edited by p5aul789 on 21 Dec 2018, 20:12, edited 2 times in total.
FelicityRae
Posts: 27
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 12:13
Gender: Female

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by FelicityRae »

Throwing them over a fence/gate is never okay in my opinion. So it doesn’t look like it’s going to rain today but what if it does or if they’re not back for a few days? Packaging can only do so much. Throw (or drop) it over and it’s more likely to get broken.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by Jpro747 »

It doesn’t bother me if I’ve just written out the card and then they answer. Other times people will see you walking up the drive and answer the door straight away, so that counteracts it. :thumbup
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by p5aul789 »

Jpro747 wrote:It doesn’t bother me if I’ve just written out the card and then they answer. Other times people will see you walking up the drive and answer the door straight away, so that counteracts it. :thumbup
Everything bothers me about this job.....I hate the job and hate everything about it!! I certainly don't do this rubbish out of choice!
hans solo
Posts: 3289
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by hans solo »

yodel are looking for parcel throwers :nana
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by Shaders »

p5aul789 wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:It doesn’t bother me if I’ve just written out the card and then they answer. Other times people will see you walking up the drive and answer the door straight away, so that counteracts it. :thumbup
Everything bothers me about this job.....I hate the job and hate everything about it!! I certainly don't do this rubbish out of choice!



And you hate it enough to come on here on a Friday evening to moan about it :left:
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by postmanzach »

Never throw anything over a fence! That’s a yodel/Hermes thing to do!

Seriously stupid as unless the customer has asked you to do that.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by postmanzach »

p5aul789 wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:It doesn’t bother me if I’ve just written out the card and then they answer. Other times people will see you walking up the drive and answer the door straight away, so that counteracts it. :thumbup
Everything bothers me about this job.....I hate the job and hate everything about it!! I certainly don't do this rubbish out of choice!
Maybe it’s you not the job that’s the problem. The problem is in your mind, your outlook. Try some
Mindfulness meditation or perhaps a desk job in an office is more for you.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by postmanzach »

Admittedly It is frustrating sometimes when you need a signature when it go will through, it’s like they don’t trust us. Or say it’s raining hard, you knock loudly no answer you 739 put it back in bag then they come out saying they didn’t hear you. But it’s life yo everyone is busy. If it genuinely stresses you out too
Much you need to relax and perhaps get a different job.
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by p5aul789 »

postmanzach wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:It doesn’t bother me if I’ve just written out the card and then they answer. Other times people will see you walking up the drive and answer the door straight away, so that counteracts it. :thumbup
Everything bothers me about this job.....I hate the job and hate everything about it!! I certainly don't do this rubbish out of choice!
Maybe it’s you not the job that’s the problem. The problem is in your mind, your outlook. Try some
Mindfulness meditation or perhaps a desk job in an office is more for you.
I never wanted to do this job. I suffer from depression and the exercise does me good and is the only good thing about the job as far as I can see!

I put packets over a fence or behind a gate because I am trying to do people a favour. 99% of the time there is not a problem except for the odd idiot! It's also easier and quicker than having to fill out a 739 card.

I get sick of the same questions; "Do I need to sign for it"? "Anything for number 35"? When you're yards away from the house! "I don't want it, if it's a bill" etc etc. These questions always come from the f**king plebs!

How anyone can actually enjoy this job is beyond me!
blue1873
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8879
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
Gender: Male

Delivering parcels and packets

Post by blue1873 »

If the job is wearing you down the way you say then it's obviously not the job for you perhaps
you should be thinking New Year .....New Job, your health and wellbeing must come first.