ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Family friendly

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Family friendly

Post by Smith1212 »

I’ve got 2 young kids 4 year old and 7 year old I need to be back for the school run,i don’t want to finish early just work my hours and get back in time I live 30 mins from my office so going over is not a option only on a Tuesday I give them flex of 45 mins ! Can anybody help
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Family friendly

Post by danterossetti »

Cut-off and don't go over then.
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

Family friendly

Post by The Postman »

There is a procedure to follow for cutting off.

Every day, once all the mails in the frame and all the packets are up you need to judge if you can complete your duty in the time you have left. If your in any doubt let your manager see how much you have to deliver. It’s the managers decision on whether you should take all the Mail/packets out on delivery, however it’s always more beneficial to leave what you can’t deliver at the office as once it’s in your van there’s an expectation that it will all be delivered.

Whilst out on delivery, you should contact the manager immediately if you think you still won’t be able to complete your delivery. Again, it’s the managers decision on whether all the mail/packets have to come back to the office or if they’ll send someone out to collect them.

First thing I would do is sit down with your manager and have a chat about why you have to leave on time. If they fob you off, for example say you need to complete your delivery before finishing or that your too slow etc, it’s time to get your union rep involved. Your under no obligation to work past you finish time.

If your inexperienced in judging the volume of Mail/packets for the duty your on then I would err on the side of caution and let your manager know that you might not complete. This next part is important, agree a time to call him whilst out on delivery to keep him informed and make sure you have someone there to witness the conversation. Also ask what to do with anything you bring back if for any reason you aren’t able to make contact.

Make sure to go through the routine every time your unable to complete, never assume the procedure will be the same as last time as bringing Mail/packets back unauthorised can be considered as ‘wilful delay’ which is a sackable offence. Always cover your own back!

Hope this helps.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Family friendly

Post by Smith1212 »

The Postman wrote:There is a procedure to follow for cutting off.

Every day, once all the mails in the frame and all the packets are up you need to judge if you can complete your duty in the time you have left. If your in any doubt let your manager see how much you have to deliver. It’s the managers decision on whether you should take all the Mail/packets out on delivery, however it’s always more beneficial to leave what you can’t deliver at the office as once it’s in your van there’s an expectation that it will all be delivered.

Whilst out on delivery, you should contact the manager immediately if you think you still won’t be able to complete your delivery. Again, it’s the managers decision on whether all the mail/packets have to come back to the office or if they’ll send someone out to collect them.

First thing I would do is sit down with your manager and have a chat about why you have to leave on time. If they fob you off, for example say you need to complete your delivery before finishing or that your too slow etc, it’s time to get your union rep involved. Your under no obligation to work past you finish time.

Yes always do that procedure but last few days I’ve rang at 12pm they have said I’ll get picked up and nothing and today if wasn’t for my partner willing to take me back I’d of been stranded they don’t seem to care about the staff.ive always gone in early when I’m asked but never can go over my time for my kids ! But is there a family friendly solution within the company few others seem to have that luxuary

If your inexperienced in judging the volume of Mail/packets for the duty your on then I would err on the side of caution and let your manager know that you might not complete. This next part is important, agree a time to call him whilst out on delivery to keep him informed and make sure you have someone there to witness the conversation. Also ask what to do with anything you bring back if for any reason you aren’t able to make contact.

Make sure to go through the routine every time your unable to complete, never assume the procedure will be the same as last time as bringing Mail/packets back unauthorised can be considered as ‘wilful delay’ which is a sackable offence. Always cover your own back!

Hope this helps.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Family friendly

Post by Smith1212 »

My reply is in with the quote
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

Family friendly

Post by The Postman »

Smith1212 wrote:Yes always do that procedure but last few days I’ve rang at 12pm they have said I’ll get picked up and nothing and today if wasn’t for my partner willing to take me back I’d of been stranded they don’t seem to care about the staff.ive always gone in early when I’m asked but never can go over my time for my kids ! But is there a family friendly solution within the company few others seem to have that luxury.
If your the walker then it’s the drivers responsibility to have you back at the office for your finish time. If they’re willing to complete on o/t then this should include time to and from the office to drop you off. If your manager says they’ll send someone to collect you and this isn’t happening then you need to get your rep involved. Sit down with both and explain that unless arrangements to return you to the office are met then you’ll need to leave enough time for you to walk back to the office to finish on time. Last resort is a stage 2 grievance against your manager for b&h, not having you collected to finish on time can be seen as a bullying tactic to make you work over your time.

Royal Mail claim to be family friendly, however in reality we all know that’s far from the truth. What you need is a good manager.

Hope this helps.
Gangham_style14
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
Gender: Male

Family friendly

Post by Gangham_style14 »

Feel for you fella! I’m in the same situation. Have two kids 6 & 8 (Rubbish names for kids,I know!)
Every day becomes a fight. But you must stand your ground. I’ve had every line/Bullshit from the Dom you could imagine. But your time is your time. O/T is voluntary not compulsory! If you choose to work your hours that’s it. Unfortunately it’s a bully driven environment and Management will pray on the weakest In order to get what they want. But what you’ve written I can tell you stand your ground. End of the day, work your time, don’t go in early and cut off if the workload exceeds your contracted hours!!
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Family friendly

Post by Smith1212 »

Cheers fella I’ve done that from day one and will continue to stand my ground I took the jobs for the hours stayed,I never wanna finish early just on my time so able to get my kids !!! Also great names for the kids lol
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Family friendly

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Love how they give you these amazing start times then try and bully and intimidate you if you actually stick to them or follow the cut off procedure. I get stick for keeping my rolling day lol simple response, don’t f***ing offer it then. Just know that you’re doing nothing wrong you just have to stand your ground mate.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Family friendly

Post by Smith1212 »

Thanks a lot I’m gonna work my hours and not feel guilty for it at the end of the day if I’m. It able to pick my kids up nobody else can !! And I took the job for the hours stated on my contract
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Family friendly

Post by Rapidryan88 »

Smith1212 wrote:Thanks a lot I’m gonna work my hours and not feel guilty for it at the end of the day if I’m. It able to pick my kids up nobody else can !! And I took the job for the hours stated on my contract
Exactly, you have a reason. If they don’t like it don’t offer it ffs it is hard for some people cutting off because it makes ya feel bad but there’s more to life than this place.goodluck!
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Family friendly

Post by Smith1212 »

Yeah and I like the job so I won’t be leaving :) also thanks for the comments and stuff makes it easier speaking to people on here .