Hey
I’m still in my probation but the 5 days a week isn’t working so well for me. It might be better in the new year but I have my own business on the side and I’ve been going over most days which has affected the time for my own business. It’s not really so much that but I could do with working 4 days a week instead of 5.
Is this something I can ask for in my probation or do I have to wait?
Also how do you go about changing positions I saw many posties move around in the short time I’ve been there doing indoor, instead of outdoor and other things.
I like the job and am willing to work the hours my contract says but wanted to know the procedure on how to drop a day and if they have to honour it?
I can always speak to my union rep but wanted to hearof other people’s experience
Many thanks in advance!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
How to drop a day
-
Bleepbleep
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 19 Dec 2018, 06:39
- Gender: Female
How to drop a day
I dropped a day by asking the DOM. I’m not in the probation period though so I don’t know about that. They seem so desperate for people to stay at the moment though that I think they’d agree to anything lol. It took a long loooong time from him saying yes to it actually happening though as they’re always short staffed.
-
Wakewaterblue
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 07:11
- Gender: Female
How to drop a day
Do you know if there are options to change the role slightly? I need longer days but less of them. Due to having my own business on the side, working 5 days a week doesn't leave much time to do my own stuff. Obviously not their issue as I knew the hours etc when I applied. But it isn't until I started to do it that I realised I was too knackered or running over most days, to have time to do my other job. So I end up doing it on a Sunday and my rest day, which leaves no rest time or family time and I'm knackered every day which I know is my own doing. Again, my issue but I was wondering what the flexibility is for role change, less 1 day would be a good start but longer days when I do work. Unlikely but hey!
I don't want to go to my manager whilst in probation and say it isn't working too well and can I have 1 less day a week and have more hours on the days I do work!
I think I would get shown the door!
Just more curious to the flexibility...
I don't want to go to my manager whilst in probation and say it isn't working too well and can I have 1 less day a week and have more hours on the days I do work!
I think I would get shown the door!
Just more curious to the flexibility...
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
How to drop a day
Royal Mail do have a family friendly policy where you can request changing your working time but there are 2 drawbacks.
1. Its meant to be family-friendly rather than making it easier for you to work for someone else.
2. You have to ask the manager,
and 1 legal issue. You should inform RM that you have another job, even if self-employed. The reasons are because there are legal and H&S issues and it's also a contractual requirement to do so.
1. Its meant to be family-friendly rather than making it easier for you to work for someone else.
2. You have to ask the manager,
and 1 legal issue. You should inform RM that you have another job, even if self-employed. The reasons are because there are legal and H&S issues and it's also a contractual requirement to do so.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Madyakker
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 19 Aug 2017, 16:21
- Gender: Male
How to drop a day
You have answered your own question in part........... Get through your probation and then you will be in a much stronger position to discuss options with your DOM. Also, things should be a bit quieter now so hopefully you should be able to balance things a bit easier.Wakewaterblue wrote:Do you know if there are options to change the role slightly? I need longer days but less of them. Due to having my own business on the side, working 5 days a week doesn't leave much time to do my own stuff. Obviously not their issue as I knew the hours etc when I applied. But it isn't until I started to do it that I realised I was too knackered or running over most days, to have time to do my other job. So I end up doing it on a Sunday and my rest day, which leaves no rest time or family time and I'm knackered every day which I know is my own doing. Again, my issue but I was wondering what the flexibility is for role change, less 1 day would be a good start but longer days when I do work. Unlikely but hey!
I don't want to go to my manager whilst in probation and say it isn't working too well and can I have 1 less day a week and have more hours on the days I do work!
I think I would get shown the door!
Just more curious to the flexibility...