ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Uniform policy
-
FirstPost
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
- Gender: Female
Uniform policy
Can someone tell me if you have to wear the RM uniform? Is the high-vis alone adequate enough? Some posties at my office wear only the high-vis over their own winter coats at this time of year. In the summer can you wear only the RM polo with your own shorts?
-
scribe
- Posts: 30
- Joined: 20 Dec 2010, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Uniform policy
from what i have seen the only thing they are "hot on" are wearing RM footwear, as long as you wear a hi viz vest i think you are ok in the summer and over your coat in the winter
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1505
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Uniform policy
I guess it's different in every office, in 10 weeks at Royal Mail I've tried 3 different types of footwear (Magnums, anvils and can't remember the other), each pair have made my feet swell up, blister, had infections etc. Each time I've gone back to my trainers and everything has cleared up. Plus mine are just as waterproof.scribe wrote:from what i have seen the only thing they are "hot on" are wearing RM footwear, as long as you wear a hi viz vest i think you are ok in the summer and over your coat in the winter
I've not been pulled up on them even though they are blue, to me it's very simple, force me to wear RM footwear and before long I'll be at the doctors, with it potentially comes a sick note.
I'm going shopping for black trainers today so they go 'under the radar' a bit more.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Uniform policy
Officially you have to wear the uniform.
Very few (if any) offices enforce it rigorously.
If you have a problem with the footwear a doctor's note will allow you to wear non RM footwear, and will enable you to get some money off the company to buy your own.
Very few (if any) offices enforce it rigorously.
If you have a problem with the footwear a doctor's note will allow you to wear non RM footwear, and will enable you to get some money off the company to buy your own.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
zipmeister
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 17:37
- Gender: Male
Uniform policy
You can wear your own footwear as long it is dark coloured and safe but if you want RM to pay for it you have to provide a Doctors note. As Clash says, officially you have to wear the rest of the uniform but nobody seems that bothered most of the time.
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
Uniform policy
You SHOULD be made to wear it and wear it clean and ironed, like a lot of posties don't. I know this particular uniform is hard to look good in but what about personal pride and after all you are customer facing. I always had a clean ironed shirt every day, polished shoes but maybe that was because I only did about an hours work per day, lol, and I won't kidding. 
-
ballsup
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 08 Jan 2015, 15:48
- Gender: Male
Uniform policy
Forgot to put my tie on once and got sent home to get it.
Didn't have to wear it in summer
Didn't have to wear it in summer
-
ted_e_bear
- Posts: 4110
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Uniform policy
Ahh ties, I remember them well,(I'm not an old timer either,not got to 20 yrs service yet) was a relief not to have to wear them in summer !ballsup wrote:Forgot to put my tie on once and got sent home to get it.
Didn't have to wear it in summer
-
FirstPost
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
- Gender: Female
Uniform policy
well RM sizing doesn't fit me at all and drowns me. What can happen if I choose not to wear it? What does it say in the contract about wearing it or some of it?
-
Rapidryan88
- Posts: 167
- Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
- Gender: Male
Uniform policy
It’s usually down to where you work. In my Depo large percent of people wear trainees (obviously if you fall they’ll say it’s due to your footwear” and majority of people wear their own trousers. Very laid back I like it.FirstPost wrote:well RM sizing doesn't fit me at all and drowns me. What can happen if I choose not to wear it? What does it say in the contract about wearing it or some of it?
Last edited by Rapidryan88 on 17 Dec 2018, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
-
elteleltel
- Posts: 120
- Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 17:27
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hertfordshire
Uniform policy
You don't have to wear hi viz in delivery according to Courier unless your Walk has been assessed as High Risk . It was in the letters page a couple of months back
-
priority102
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 520
- Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:57
- Gender: Female
Uniform policy
I always wear uniform as my take on it is simply that why should I wear my own clothes out that have cost me money? I only have to wear the uniform when at work so what is the problem? I note the comment above regarding few if any offices enforcing the uniform policy - I believe this is seen by the company as a good and discreet way to save it lots of money.....if they are not supplying your uniform then they haven't got to pay for it have they?
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1505
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Uniform policy
To me it's common sense, I'll happily wear the inadequate RM footwear but expect me in agony within a week and on light duties soon after. Or I can wear my plain black trainers, which are just as waterproof and don't cause my feet any problems and you can't tell they aren't RM footwear unless you look very closely.
As for the rest of the uniform, I wear it but on Saturday I was freezing in just my polo and fleece, not been in the job long enough to order any more. So I wear my own jumper, running top etc. Again if I'm gonna be told off then so be it, it's that or be freezing for 4+ hours.
As for the rest of the uniform, I wear it but on Saturday I was freezing in just my polo and fleece, not been in the job long enough to order any more. So I wear my own jumper, running top etc. Again if I'm gonna be told off then so be it, it's that or be freezing for 4+ hours.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Uniform policy
I wore my Borat mankini this summer and no-one seemed to mind, although the DOM did tell me to make sure I put on some sun cream. Now it's got a bit colder I've had to add a leather waistcoat and a pair of cowboy chaps. With my long blonde hair I've been told I look a bit like Christina Aguilera in that Dirrty video. Which is nice.
I'm sorry, what was the question?
I'm sorry, what was the question?
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.