ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
edward918
Posts: 40
Joined: 23 Feb 2018, 21:37
Gender: Male

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by edward918 »

I'm not one for complaining, I normally have a very "Get on with it and do a good job" attitude towards work. Don't get me wrong, I like my job very much, being outdoors, getting exercise, fresh air and most importantly, not being stuck in a 9 - 5pm routine. What more can someone ask for in terms of job satisfaction?

However, over the short course of 12 months of working for The Royal Mail at the same delivery office, I've found myself to become anxious when approaching Managers about certain things. Why is this? Answer: Feeling exhausted for working 5 weeks straight (Monday to Saturday) and then having a week off. I feel like I am better suited to a smaller delivery office which has the 5 day week, 1 day off routine instead of the 6 day week, 1 floating week off. However, I feel as if I am becoming a nuisance to people if I were to ask about getting a transfer for the 3rd time (I asked once in around May, only to find out I had to wait 1 year before I could officially get one and asked again before Christmas, only to be told to wait until after the busy period is over, which I can understand, but still.)

Has anyone else ever been in a similar situation as to how I am feeling? Should I bring the issues up with the CWU if 1: They persist and 2: I keep getting the "Just wait until X month until you can transfer" excuse?
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by LaggyBand »

Sounds like they don’t want to lose a good postie.

Have you filled in a transfer request form? Contact your union rep about the issue and ask for advice. That doesn’t mean you are entering a contentious phase necessarily, so don’t worry, you are merely asking for advice at this stage.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16701
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by clashcityrocker »

Look on Success Factors.
Find an office with a vacancy you want to move to.
Apply.
Transfer.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by Tomolo208 »

Go to the office you want to transfer to, speak to the manager there about transferring. That worked for me.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by terry2972 »

I got a transfer after 5 months so it’s possible
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by Celgar »

Tomolo208 wrote:Go to the office you want to transfer to, speak to the manager there about transferring. That worked for me.
This ^^.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
edward918
Posts: 40
Joined: 23 Feb 2018, 21:37
Gender: Male

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by edward918 »

This whole situation flared up again after I went to the office I want to transfer to a few weeks ago. I was told by the Manager to ask one of the Managers at my current office about getting a transfer form sent over. I will ring the other office again next week to let them know that I'm still interested, if they can't do anything about it then I will contact my current office. I feel like it will be put on hold again since as LaggyBand said, it sounds like they don't want to lose a good postie. If this happens to be the case, I will contact my Union Rep since I've been very patient with this whole situation. It's a big office, so they will easily find other staff I'm sure. Fingers crossed come next year around January/February, all will go to plan! :arrrghhh
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by Tomolo208 »

I dont know about others, but I didn't have to fill any transfer forms. Took a few months but it eventually happened.
edward918
Posts: 40
Joined: 23 Feb 2018, 21:37
Gender: Male

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by edward918 »

Update: Asked yet again about transferring, my Manager "Won't be able to do anything until January since there will be no new staff until then" which I completely understand. Will have to hint at it again come January 1st/2nd, I honestly feel like a pest at this point. Having to ask more than 2 times is not on. Still, keeping my fingers crossed!
Rapidryan88
Posts: 167
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 13:04
Gender: Male

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by Rapidryan88 »

edward918 wrote:Update: Asked yet again about transferring, my Manager "Won't be able to do anything until January since there will be no new staff until then" which I completely understand. Will have to hint at it again come January 1st/2nd, I honestly feel like a pest at this point. Having to ask more than 2 times is not on. Still, keeping my fingers crossed!
Goodluck mate. I hate having to ask more than once same as you. Same thing happens with overtime. “I’m owed X amount today” “ok I’ll do it” ( proceeds to do it wrong then looks at you with hatred when you ask them again) lol
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by leolion855 »

edward918 wrote:Update: Asked yet again about transferring, my Manager "Won't be able to do anything until January since there will be no new staff until then" which I completely understand. Will have to hint at it again come January 1st/2nd, I honestly feel like a pest at this point. Having to ask more than 2 times is not on. Still, keeping my fingers crossed!

cut your manager out completely and use success factors, HR then TELL your manager you ARE leaving within 28 days to go to your new office.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by Celgar »

Visit other nearby offices that run the five day week and ask the DOM there if they need more staff. If there are positions available say you want to transfer and the DOM there should sort it out and get it done. When I transferred years ago the office I was at didn't want me to go but that will always be the case unless there are problem staff. Once the process starts your existing office/DOM can delay it somewhat but certainly not indefinitely or for an overly long period of time.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by Route1 »

I've learned the best way to do it is through success factors.

Apply for the job you want internally through successfactors, HR will call you to confirm and you should be transferred within 28 days. Manager has no say in it.

Unfortunately its not been straight forward in my case as I've still not been transferred 2 months after my transfer has been approved by HR. On successfactors it says its all done and dusted.

DOM / Union rep twice offered me improved contracts which I've rejected. I'll see what they offer next week or i'll have to contact HR to tell my bosses to stop fecking about. Either give me what I want or let me go.
edward918
Posts: 40
Joined: 23 Feb 2018, 21:37
Gender: Male

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by edward918 »

Update: STILL waiting.

The branch I want to transfer to isn't being advertised on the SuccessFactors website for some reason. The Manager knows that I am trying my hardest to get transferred over and that he has no control over the situation since it is down to the Area Manager at my current delivery office.

I asked the question on the 9th of Jan: "Will I be able to get a date for this transfer?" The response: You will have to wait another 4 - 5 weeks due to new staff being interviewed. It is now coming up to 4 weeks next week so I will have to hint yet again come tomorrow to get things moving.

If I get fobbed off with the "Wait another x amount of weeks" excuse, shall I take it to HR? I am seriously getting annoyed by all of this and in fact, depressed. :arrrghhh
Sledge4211
Posts: 68
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
Gender: Male

Constant Tiredness, feeling anxious and wanting to transfer.

Post by Sledge4211 »

edward918 wrote:Update: STILL waiting.

The branch I want to transfer to isn't being advertised on the SuccessFactors website for some reason. The Manager knows that I am trying my hardest to get transferred over and that he has no control over the situation since it is down to the Area Manager at my current delivery office.

I asked the question on the 9th of Jan: "Will I be able to get a date for this transfer?" The response: You will have to wait another 4 - 5 weeks due to new staff being interviewed. It is now coming up to 4 weeks next week so I will have to hint yet again come tomorrow to get things moving.

If I get fobbed off with the "Wait another x amount of weeks" excuse, shall I take it to HR? I am seriously getting annoyed by all of this and in fact, depressed. :arrrghhh

If you apply on SuccessFactors you hear back within 2 weeks max.

If your manager is telling you all this, it’s straight BS. Royal Mail jobs are only available through SuccessFactors if there’s nothing on there for the branch you want then it’s highly unlikely you can transfer there.