ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Knee injuries
-
donroberto85
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 30 Mar 2017, 15:18
- Gender: Male
Knee injuries
Hi everyone,
I've been a Postie for just over three years and I've been having degrading knee health ever since. This summer, the pain had got unbearable and I had to have six weeks off. After returning, I was placed on light duties but, thanks to increasing pressure from my DOM (who has promised physio three times, all to no avail) to do more and being paired with a partner who was also supposed to be on light duties for mental health problems, I returned to full duties early in September. Since then, especially during our busy period, I have felt the same degradation in my knees, my left knee being rather displaced in particular, to the point that I have also had to go home early today and take another stay of leave. I'm here to ask my fellow Posties if I can be dismissed for injuries sustained at work? It is extremely stressful, especially at this time of year where any money is crucial, and I feel stressed over my physical well being, which isn't becoming of a man in his early thirties, and my possible future employment status.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've been a Postie for just over three years and I've been having degrading knee health ever since. This summer, the pain had got unbearable and I had to have six weeks off. After returning, I was placed on light duties but, thanks to increasing pressure from my DOM (who has promised physio three times, all to no avail) to do more and being paired with a partner who was also supposed to be on light duties for mental health problems, I returned to full duties early in September. Since then, especially during our busy period, I have felt the same degradation in my knees, my left knee being rather displaced in particular, to the point that I have also had to go home early today and take another stay of leave. I'm here to ask my fellow Posties if I can be dismissed for injuries sustained at work? It is extremely stressful, especially at this time of year where any money is crucial, and I feel stressed over my physical well being, which isn't becoming of a man in his early thirties, and my possible future employment status.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Knee injuries
The job of a delivery postman is not ideal for anyone with bad or weak knees !
It is now only a job for young fit people and the chances of them reaching an ever increasing retirement age are limited.
And I know there are acceptions before our wannabe fitness fanatics stick their oar in.
Longer future duty spans only exacerbate the wear and tear on joints, working outdoor in all weathers will take its toll on ANY postie eventually and any full time work available is limited for the provision of light duties!
To put it simply, look for another job now because your problems will only get worse.
It is now only a job for young fit people and the chances of them reaching an ever increasing retirement age are limited.
And I know there are acceptions before our wannabe fitness fanatics stick their oar in.
Longer future duty spans only exacerbate the wear and tear on joints, working outdoor in all weathers will take its toll on ANY postie eventually and any full time work available is limited for the provision of light duties!
To put it simply, look for another job now because your problems will only get worse.
-
Tomolo208
- Posts: 102
- Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
- Gender: Male
Knee injuries
Have you had meetings with occupational health?
Surely there are some tips we can share with bad knee experience? I tried a knee wrap thing once, didn t help just itched.
Surely there are some tips we can share with bad knee experience? I tried a knee wrap thing once, didn t help just itched.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Knee injuries
Have you seen a doctor?
Do you have an actual diagnosis?
Do you have an actual diagnosis?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Knee injuries
Have you seen a physiotherapist either private or NHS Perhaps they may be able to advise?
Are you using a trolley where appropriate to take weight off the joints?
Are you using a trolley where appropriate to take weight off the joints?
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2056
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Knee injuries
This exactly.Knee pain can be serious or nothing at all.I had it once and was in agony and it never happened again.Never found out why.Are You overweight for instance?clashcityrocker wrote:Have you seen a doctor?
Do you have an actual diagnosis?
-
Delbhoy
- Posts: 86
- Joined: 05 May 2013, 23:10
- Gender: Male
Knee injuries
Was there something in the courier about the effect the job has on your body as a whole ??? Some survey done and results about various problems occurring with knees,back and other joints which the job brings but think it was just brushed under the carpet.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Knee injuries
it always WILL be brushed under the carpet as well. because if it was ever proven the job caused arthritis and musculoskeletal problems and if someone won a claim, then the floodgates would open. could bankrupt the company I would think.Delbhoy wrote:Was there something in the courier about the effect the job has on your body as a whole ??? Some survey done and results about various problems occurring with knees,back and other joints which the job brings but think it was just brushed under the carpet.
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Knee injuries
The survey is a 'sticky' on the Union Room section https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 15&t=86990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Knee injuries
If you have had your problem diagnosed by an expert (and TBH the local Doctor doesn't know that much in most cases), and there is no chance of an improvement, I would take Tommyreps advice and start looking for another job. Do not expect Royal Mail to give a shite..... they will simply work you until you can't do the job anymore. You'll then be stuck with perhaps a life long injury.donroberto85 wrote:
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You may be able to apply for Early Voluntary Retirement on Health Grounds, I'm sure there's others that can advise you on that. However RM may not offer it and just wait until you've had enough, and resign. Unfortunately you need to be fairly robust in this job, not necessarily fit to Olympic standards, but more like a Donkey.
I'm sure we've all had some Short to Medium term knee problems. They normally require the use of Paracetamol .... Ibuprofen ........ & Knee supports (in various ammounts) but they only help short term, and if you've got some major problems you need professional advice. Good Luck.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Knee injuries
knee replacements worked for me but I can't see you getting those in your 30s unfortunately.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Knee injuries
surely he`d qualify for IHR at the very least ?
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Knee injuries
Long term the union needs to decide on it's priorities, much longer delivery spans or all delivery staff being reduced to part time hours (if RM ever automate a lot of the work in MCs and have more mail sequenced).
-
officernopants
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 19 Mar 2018, 06:48
- Gender: Male
Knee injuries
Do not listen to "look for another job" it's extremely irresponsible advice and things like that make me question the value of this forum, if you previously had no knee problems before you started and if a professional signs to confirm a problem then RM cannot just dismiss you. They will look for other suitable work and if that's not possible it's the evr ihr kind of routes.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Knee injuries
value of the forum restored !officernopants wrote:things like that make me question the value of this forum, if you previously had no knee problems before you started and if a professional signs to confirm a problem then RM cannot just dismiss you. They will look for other suitable work and if that's not possible it's the evr ihr kind of routes.