ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Post by postmanzach »

Anyone else had this?
Think there’s something up with them today.
I had it today where I got the signature, customer closes door I walk back to van clicking done but nothings happening. I tried clicking back and ad hoc with the barcode and signing myself but wouldn’t work. I finally got it done after rebooting my pda and getting the guy to re sign it.
Another old guy in my office failed one today as the same sort of thing happened but the guy he gave it to drove off and he didn’t take a photo of the code and it was 5 to 1 there was nothing he could do.

Wouldn’t be too much of issue but manager gave us little talk this morning about making 100% sure we leave enough time for specials
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Post by number one »

Yep I had this last week. Bloody nightmare. They are bad in the rain as well. Constantly having a mind of their own, we should be able to disable memo, depot, ad-hoc. Add to this the volume and settings control keep appearing. Cheap rubbish!
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Post by Celgar »

Its quite a regular occurrence certainly on my walk. We have been told it is to do with rain getting into the battery compartment. When it happens I can still complete any zappable item on the PDA as long as a signature is not required. It seems a bit odd to me that this should be the case but there you go.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Post by DrSatan »

Same happened last week too. Just had to write down the barcode, reset pda and knock again for a signature. If for whatever reason you were not able to get them to resign it, i guess you either sign it yourself (how would RM know any different) or report it as it was etc...
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Post by SpacePhoenix »

number one wrote:Yep I had this last week. Bloody nightmare. They are bad in the rain as well. Constantly having a mind of their own, we should be able to disable memo, depot, ad-hoc. Add to this the volume and settings control keep appearing. Cheap rubbish!
I've heard that they're around £1,000 each, don't know how true that is
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Post by Celgar »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
number one wrote:Yep I had this last week. Bloody nightmare. They are bad in the rain as well. Constantly having a mind of their own, we should be able to disable memo, depot, ad-hoc. Add to this the volume and settings control keep appearing. Cheap rubbish!
I've heard that they're around £1,000 each, don't know how true that is
Fairly sure that is correct. The trouble with big companies and the government is that they tend to sign bad contracts and overpay and/or receive bad workmanship. Mix in a bit bribery and backhanders and you end up with rubbish equipment.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Post by Jpro747 »

This has been happening for months, specials and recordeds, only happens every so often but it’s still a pain! I reboot mine every morning now as they tend to go a bit haywire after being on for a number of days.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Post by wacko74 »

Sticking on the signature screen happens at least 3 or 4 times a week for me, on different PDA's.

It's got to the point now where I can recognise that it's going to happen because the PDA starts running very slow for a couple of minutes before, screen changes and beeps take several seconds to occur.

Reboot fixes it
Bboingg
Posts: 69
Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 20:35
Gender: Male

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Post by Bboingg »

You could scan it first as no answer , as insurance, but only when standing on the correct doorstep.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Post by rambo1 »

What, you mean you all have pda's at this time of year!! You wanna try doing a full walk with just a handful of epod cards!! Especially in the rain.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Post by Celgar »

The PDA tried to not accept a signature on a parcel today and it wasn't raining. I suspected it was happening even when it has not been raining so it must be a software issue. I didn't like to reboot it so I chose the 'power off' option and that cleared it.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Post by Dorset Plodder »

If the PDA "Freezes", with the customer having signed already, simply reboot it. I've never had any come backs about an unsigned special so I assume the sytem must have a record of what you've done Before the PDA froze. :hmmmm Any PDA Geeks out there? Our Workplace coach gets paid £30 a week to know this stuff.... But that's asking a bit much isn't it? :silenced

For those of you that are fed up with the bloody thing beeping through all the different screens.... just quickly press the Re-Boot button at the top of the screen. That should "Lock" the screen, like it used to with the "Old" PDAs. When you want to use it just swipe the screen up and press the icon at the bottom. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Post by number one »

Dorset Plodder wrote:If the PDA "Freezes", with the customer having signed already, simply reboot it. I've never had any come backs about an unsigned special so I assume the sytem must have a record of what you've done Before the PDA froze. :hmmmm Any PDA Geeks out there? Our Workplace coach gets paid £30 a week to know this stuff.... But that's asking a bit much isn't it? :silenced

For those of you that are fed up with the bloody thing beeping through all the different screens.... just quickly press the Re-Boot button at the top of the screen. That should "Lock" the screen, like it used to with the "Old" PDAs. When you want to use it just swipe the screen up and press the icon at the bottom. :cuppa
£38 a week
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Pda failing to let you submit signature after a special

Post by LaggyBand »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
number one wrote:Yep I had this last week. Bloody nightmare. They are bad in the rain as well. Constantly having a mind of their own, we should be able to disable memo, depot, ad-hoc. Add to this the volume and settings control keep appearing. Cheap rubbish!
I've heard that they're around £1,000 each, don't know how true that is
£1400